Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

movies/tv What kind of female anime/show character appeals to you? A sexy or adorable kind

Xievie

What kind of female anime/show character appeals to you? A sexy or adorable kind of character?  

14 users have voted

1. 1. Sexy or Adorable?

• Sexy
    • Adorable
    • Undecided/Neither (leave a reply to explain)

(edited)

Well, the story is that I was talking to my friend about an anime we saw a long time ago.

We were fighting about  which of the female characters were better. I chose the one with pink hair, he chose the one with brown hair.

After a while if arguing which character was better, it seems he was comparing with sexiness in mind while I was comparing with adorableness in mind.

An idea of a topic for the Media Discussion forum then came to mind:

What kind of female anime/show character appeals to you? A sexy or adorable kind of character?

I'm more of an adorable type of person. Pink hair and smaller chests also have an affect on me... Hnngg...

Edited by Suskel

Um...neither, really. Not that I watch anime all that often, but I tend to prefer more "plain Jane" type females in anime since they strike me as the most all-round relatable female characters. The overly cute "moe" ones irritate the shit outta me, and the sexy ones...well, I've never been easily swayed by fanservice, so they have little effect on me other than "Nice tits. Now GTFO."

• Brohoof 1

I do appreciate both but it is hard to say as alot of what is considered cute or sexy boils down to personal taste. I tend to like women that are fairly curvy in both real life and in cartoons/anime so I would think I would lean a bit closer toward sexy myself at least in terms of physical features but there are plenty of characters that are a bit of both. One of the characters I have had the strongest attraction to was Hinata Hyuga from Naruto due to the fact that she was a combination of both in terms of appearance as well as personality. I tend to prefer women who are strong, confident and slightly tomboyish so Hinata isn't usually the type I go for but she appeals both to my protective instincts as a man while still exhibiting some of the traits I just mentioned.

Another example of this type of character that I am very much attracted to is Princess Luna who even more than Hinata exhibits the rare combination of being powerful yet vulnerable at the same time, she is the princess of the night yet she is struggling to readjust modern pony society after being gone for 1000 years and having so many ponies still fear and mistrust her. I guess I find these characters attractive because they seem the most believable to me, even someone who is strong will sometimes have moments of weakness and uncertainty and great strength and confidence tend to be difficult to build up.

I like female characters that are relatable to instead of being stuck into one of two narrow archetypes that are designed solely to be pleasing to a male audience (which I guess is why I don't generally like anime female characters?).

MLP:FiM is one of the very few animation shows where my favorite characters are female, and it's because of this. The characters, while still being exaggerated cartoon characters (which there is nothing wrong with that), are much easier to relate to.

• Brohoof 1

I think for me, it depends on the personality of the character in question.  A cute character can only go so far on looks, she needs that depth/ character development added to her.  I always appreciate it when a production company gives the show time to flesh their characters out by adding more dimensions to them instead of keeping them isolated to one certain Archetype.

(edited)

I chose undecided for a few reasons. The first things that I always consider for the characters is what their role is, and what their personality is. Cardboard female trope cutouts bore me regardless of their appearance. However, I love characters with a personality, and who act based on it. 

For example, I'll talk about my avatar's character. Her name is Tomoko. And she is a complete recluse who only has dealt with men through erotic visual novels. She is also a bit of an Anime freak. Due to these interests, and lack of social skills; she has a very funny personality. She has a very desperate desire to live a "popular" life. She takes any situation, and holds pride for it. These include talking to hot guys by ordering a hamburger, talking to guys by them cheating off her school work, and "sleeping" with a guy by resting in a Nurse's office bed in the same room as another guy.

What makes me like this character is that I can relate to her issues with social skills (Not on that level of desperate delusions) as I am a little distant when it comes to public discussions with others. But for her, I find she is of the adorable category. I think she looks cute, and how she talks to other people just kills me. It's just too cute how nervous and shy she gets over anyone.

But there are definitely characters I like in a "sexy" sense. Not in a sexual manner, but more in how they bring their sexiness into their actions, even if it is in killing someone/thing. I always felt Major Kusanagi Motoko (From Ghost in the Shell) was a pretty sexy anime character.

Edited by Hayze

I like female characters that are relatable to instead of being stuck into one of two narrow archetypes that are designed solely to be pleasing to a male audience (which I guess is why I don't generally like anime female characters?).

MLP:FiM is one of the very few animation shows where my favorite characters are female, and it's because of this. The characters, while still being exaggerated cartoon characters (which there is nothing wrong with that), are much easier to relate to.

Yeah females characters tend to get the "appeal to males" Schick. Which I am not a fan of. If they want to wear sexy clothes that's cool but if the only reason they are wearing sexy clothes is so males can be attracted to them, I am so not on board.

I tend to like knightly females mostly to be honest. I like Brienne from Game of Thrones. Sayaka from Puella Magica. And while not knightly, Applejack is honurable and true. This is the trope I tend to go for.