Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Have you ever come close to death?

Onylex

I almost died 3 weeks after I was born from breathing problems.

I almost died from that terrible flu at the beginning of 2013 that was killing many people where I lived. I had the flu a few days before I realized I had it, and the doctor told me that if I waited any longer, then there could have been fatal consequences.

I also almost died many other times when I was a kid.

Drowning, falling, getting hit by objects traveling at fast speeds, etc.

This is why I hate the outdoors. There is always a death risk when I step outside.

Oh. And a tornado almost sucked my house up, but I wouldn't say that is exactly a near-death experience.

Edited by Judgement

one time I got an F, my Dad was so mad.

Ok, joking aside, one time I was in wood shop and I was using the band saw and it broke, the case thing opened and the band came out a little, and in the same class I was using the table saw and I forgot to hold the wood and once it was loose it flew and hit me in the stomach.

That's all I got.

Edited by Sky Cutter

There were a few times I could've got killed by something, but for now the only time I can think of that I was physically almost dead was when I was born. My doctor was a drunk and I was twice as big as a normal baby. My Mom doesn't remember many details because they'd given her a bunch of drugs

Oh wait! I remember. 2 years ago I took a martial arts class. It was grappling night and this adult went overboard. He put me in a neck hold and I couldn't get out. I tried to tap out but I didn't have the energy to. If I didn't start kicking him off of me, he probably would have killed me.

Possibly numerous times driving to college every weekday. That definitely counts with all the dangerous overly-aggressive morons I have to deal with on a daily basis.

There was also the time in design and tech in high school where I shocked myself with an electric tool. I can't remember what it was now, but I remember it was plugged into the wall and I was standing in a small puddle of water. Obviously that is not a safe position to be in at all! Fortunately I only received a mildly uncomfortable sensation, but electricity is pretty dangerous stuff.

Edited by Celtore

Ehh ... nope. Not that I can remember anyways ... hmm ... no no wait, I think I got something. :P

I was in the large wave pool in the Edmonton mall, when a huge wave came by while I was in my ... tube, thing, whatever they're called. Anyways, I ended up getting flipped over, and was stuck upside down with my head underwater for a bit. Gosh that was scary. Probably not the closest I've been, but it's the only moment I can recall. ;)

Edited by Sir Jackleberry

Three times: 

The first time was when I attempted suicide by driving my car into the river. At the time, I remember thinking that drowning would be much less painful than it turned out to be. After I was unable to hold my breath anymore and inhaled water, I realized I was wrong. I was drowning, I was panicking and out of my mind, and I managed to open the door and surface. I almost drowned anyways because I was so disoriented, but there were rescue personnel that had been called when people saw the car go in, and they pulled me to shore. 

The second time I suffered no serious injuries, but came very close to dying. I consider 'near death' to be anything that could cause my death occuring within arm's reach. I was standing on a street  while delivering pizza, talking to a guy at the door of an apartment building, trying to find a way to get buzzed in so I could get the food to the apartment that ordered, when an air conditioner fell from a sixth-floor window and landed next to us, close enough that it knocked the pizza bag out of my hand. We both got more than a few cuts from fragments of the air conditioner that flew off when it smashed into the pavement. At six stories, if that thing had landed on me, it would have pulverized my skull.

The third time was also while delivering pizza, when an elderly woman accidentally drove her car into the storefront of the tax filing place I was delivering to. If I had been standing in the doorway when she came through, I would have been smooshed. As it was, when she came to a stop she was close enough for me to touch her car with my hands without extending my arms all the way.

@@Something Floaty, my sympathies with you. I'm sorry you ever made it to a place where you felt a desire to end your life.

I have three situations where I have been close to death.

1. Getting stung all over my body by a portuguese man-o-war when I was 7 years old. According to one of my high school teachers, something like that can be fatal.

2. and 3. are both instances where I was driving on an interstate and a car was traveling towards me on the wrong side of the road. both occurred in rural California. Thanks for forcing me off the road, psychopaths.

I was in The Great War, and I got shot. And I died.

No.

My two close brushes with death (or extreme head injury) coincidentally happened when I was in third grade.

The first, and probably more serious one, was when my family and I went to a beach that has a reputation for having some nasty waves. I was having quite a bit of fun there, but let it get to my head. I went a little too far into the water during high tide, and got swept into a rip current. I didn't notice any problem at first, until I tried heading back to shore. No matter how much I struggled to get there, the current was too strong, and I didn't have enough energy to keep diving under the waves. I was almost near exhaustion, and sinking deeper, when I saw my older sister jump into the water. She swam to me, grabbed me, and I clung to her back. Little explanation is needed for this; she swam me back to shore and saved my life.

Another one is when almost fell off of a dock that was hanging over a dry pond. *It was about a ten foot drop, I went headfirst, and there was garbage and splintery rotting wood below. Thankfully I fell on a board of the dock, which I didn't even notice at first, and was just hanging on by gravity pushing down on my torso. Scary thing is, the board could have broken right off, and there were rusty nails on it just inches away from where my torso was.

I would say I also got pretty close to dying when I went to see Van Halen live. The badass rocking tunes were just so good, my brain almost exploded.

Edited by Modphase

I was born with severe kidney problems and wasn't supposed to live, but when I went in for surgery they examined me and my kindeys were functioning normally without explanation.

Was almost murdered when I was about 10 by another kid my age who tried to drown me. Next time was when I was 12 and almost got kidnapped when we were on holiday in Thailand. I know for a fact that I would be dead if that happened. I am pale skinned with blue eyes and natural light blonde hair, that is what Thai people find to be beautiful. We were in Pataya not long after a British woman on holiday disappeared in Pataya. If I had been caught I would be sold into sex trafficking and I don't doubt I would have been murdered at some point down the line.

Edited by Enigma

If we're discounting suicide attempts, then just one. When I was four I accidentally ran into an abnormally sharp dead branch on a tree whilst playing in a park. It hit me at eye height and I needed to have the bottom part of my eye and the top part of my cheek stitched back together. My parents told me I lost consciousness from blood loss, and I can't remember a thing after getting into the ambulance, so yeah.

Almost fifteen years later and I still can't see perfectly out of that eye. But eye am ok (although I could come close to dying because someone will want to murder me for making that horrible pun haha)

Edited by ponypowa96
  • Brohoof 1

Hm... I can only think of two occasions at the moment.  The first one, quite a long time ago (I couldn't have been more than six years old), I was at some sort of camp and all of us kids were playing in a river.  I decided to wander off a little (as I have a tendency to do) and ended up falling into a completely random hole.  As for why I couldn't get myself out of that hole, I don't know (my memory of the event is extremely fuzzy), but I'll attribute it to the fact that six-year-olds are idiots, and panicking six-year-olds are worse.  Anyways, the top of my head was apparently bobbing up and down in the water, which was enough to alert one of the lifeguards that something was clearly wrong.  This resulted in my first and only ambulance ride and emergency hospital visit.

The second time wasn't really a near-death experience I suppose, but I nearly burned my face off, so I guess it's close enough.  So I was on a Boy Scout campout and my patrol was building a fire.  Unfortunately for us, this fire just did not want to start.  This is a problem for us because, while the fire was completely unnecessary, we're freaking teenagers and Boy Scouts on a campout, so we obviously want fire.  Do note that all Boy Scouts are, by default, insane pyromaniacs who are only kept in check by the adults who watch us.  There were no adults around us at this time.  After nearly running out of newspaper, one of us had the most brilliant idea; we all carry around personal stoves, why not use some of the propane from one of those?  Luckily (and I use that term very loosely) one of us had one of the stoves where gas had to be refilled manually, so it could be easily taken out.  We poured some propane on the wood, made a little wick out of newspaper, and lit it.  Me, being a complete and utter moron, decided to hover over this fire because... I don't know, because I'm a moron like that.  Needless to say, the flames jumped up far higher than any of us expected, stopping frighteningly close to my face.  However, the campfire was finally lit, so hooray.  We all vowed never to speak publicly of that event ever again.

Edited by Antismurf9001

I was under 4.

If it weren't for my dad (I think it was him) when I jumped into that pool, I probably would have drowned. Easy way for young kids to die if they aren't supervised well enough.

Well where to start?

When I was 3 I licked a spoon that had a drug on it that I'm allergic to,

When I was 6 A shelf fell on me and I had severe hemorrhaging that required minor surgery,

A few months later I almost drowned in a river,

At the age of 8 I was chased by an guard dog,

At the age of 9 I fell from the second story of my house,

When I was 11 I almost drowned in the ocean.

The universe wants me dead.Actually the house I lived in from age 2-10 was supposedly haunted....

I was hiking up a mountain and my family and I was doing a very dangerous path...but it wasn't exactly a path so we had to make our own. We came to a river we had to cross except it had no way of crossing so I had to move rocks to build a path. Well i was moving a heavy rock and almost fell into the rushing river..but my mother grabbed me

Okay, I've had several of the most gnarly, and I mean gnarly moments where I could've died.

So...I was mountain biking on a very narrow way. There was a root that was too big for me to ride over ahead. I try to weave as small as I could, but overdo it and nearly fall down an approximate 30 foot 30 degree cliff. Thanks be to God, I had fast reflexes and was able to grab on to a tree and my bike right at the same time.

The second...could've ended a lot worse. I was at my small engine repair class. My friend Lucas was making sure there was no gasoline on our work table...by doing one of the most stupidest things...using a lighter to search for puddles...and you know what happens next. He scrapes the lighter across a puddle and it goes up in flames. To make matters worse, the puddle lights up in flames, and the embers scatter about. One even lands on his gokart, which I'm standing on. I jump off and rush to get a rag. A gas can FILLED WITH GASOLINE was just inches away from the flames. None of us would've gone home that night if it weren't for our fast reactions. 

Sry, had to be posted! :P

I could have probably died a couple of times, the first time I was almost ran over by a freaking semi truck because I was wondering out on the street without looking, thankfully my grandmother grabbed me just before I got smashed, the second time (again when I was little) I went to unplug a hair dryer and I grabbed the metal prong things, and at the time couldn't let go, so I just stood their and fried for a few seconds until my grandmother saved me (again).

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

I know this isn't a near death experience. But when I was about 11 or 12 I had to have an operation on my hip. I died on the operating table. 1 min later. I woke up again after being successfully revived by the surgeon. And before any of you ask what death was like. I hate to break it to you, but it is just silence and darkness.

Wow that was deep. At least I'm not scared of dying anymore.

P.S I was put to sleep before the operation. So my previous statement about death being nothing but darkness may not be so true. Because I don't dream XD

Edited by CharlieD282

If what my dad told me is true, yes. He told me that when I was three years old, there was both a time where I almost drowned in a pool, and a time where I fell out of a shopping cart at a store and suffered a severe head injury. I have only two memories of when I was three and no memories before then, so I wouldn't be surprised if those things really happened.

It's weird, but I'd find it interesting to have an actual near-death experience today.