Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Have you ever come close to death?

Onylex

I don't think I've ever come close to death but one time I thought I might die or at least something horrible would happen to me. It was at a cross country meet last October, it was an invitational and might have been the biggest race of the year. I felt like total crap the whole day before and the time leading up to the race. I would have not run if it was a normal race but I knew I had to do it for this one. So I don't know how but I managed to finish with an okay time. At the end of the race we all got a ticket and had to wait in line for 10 minutes to give our ticket to this guy and they didn't even give us water! Finally I get to the end of the line and give the guy my ticket. But then it gets bad. My vision gets worse I feel extremely nauseous, almost like I'm about to pass out. I'm really worried at this point and looking for some of my teammates. Luckily some of my teammates found me sitting under a tree and helped me go get some water. But If they hadn't helped me I'm sure I would have passed out and something much worse could have happened. In fact a few other people did pass out after the race.

Well, I came close a bunch of times.

* My mom got pinned down on a fence by the winds of a tornado when she was pregnant with me.

* I fell in a fire and was in flames when I was 4 years old.

* I almost got a penny lodged down my throat and chocked to death.

* I almost drowned by getting sucked into an eddy while white-water rafting.

* I was about a few inches away from getting hit by a car doing 60.

* My brother lift me up from my neck for a good 5 seconds.

There was probably others, but I can't remember off the top of my head.

Edited by Freeze-Frame

I actually had one happen to me yesterday.

I was filming a scene for the movie: Rise Of 13. In this particular scene, my character, The 13th incarnation of The Doctor, is running to the site of a meteor landing. In this part of the scene, I'm supposed to jump off of a platform and land on a cushion below the balcony. Unfortunately, in this take, I missed completely, and landed in a nearby thorny rose bush. To make matters worse, I got up, and was about to walk it off, when I tripped from the hill the scene was set on, into my pond at my house in 6 feet water. I barely escaped without hypothermia, or death by the thorns. Needless to say, I stopped filming that scene, tried again today, and got it down perfectly.

Does leaning back too far in my computer chair count? :P

On a serious note...  When I was about 4, I wanted to walk instead of be in a stroller so I kept trying to get out, fell out and hit my head on the street.  There was a big gash in my forehead and I now have a scar there.  And that's my story of how I became Harry Potter.

• Brohoof 1

In my final month in the navy, we were treating sailors and marines for H1N1, it was a full blown epidemic, my ward filled up rapidly and we were quarantined, despite all of the hand sanitiser, bleach and anti bacterial chemicals, servicemen still got sick, including the corpsmen like myself. We were trained for combat situations, but were taken down by illness, it was the sickest I have ever been, and it was shocking just how fast it spread, the scariest part of this was organ failure, some of my patients were sent to intensive ward, I was teetering on critical, my fever was 109 F, close to fatal which is 111 F. I thought I was not going to make it, the congestion nearly stopped me from breathing too, it took some care and ordinary medication to pull me through, after I recovered I was discharged, as I reached the end of my enlistment. I figured I would get wounded in training or combat, I never would have suspected the flu would nearly take my life; after I got back home I never took life for granted again.       

• Brohoof 3

I've had a few.

I remember once when I was watertubing with family when we put too much weight on the front of the tube. It flipped, everyone but me went up, I went down and deep into the water. My life-jacket wasn't that great, but it didn't help I was spinning either. I managed to stop and start swimming back to surface when I was starting to black out a little. Luckily my aunt saw me and swam down to get me. Things might of changed if she didn't spot me.

One of my near-death situations was actually enjoyable. My uncle, brother, and I were shooting fireworks for 4th of July. We got to the grand finale, which was like a 150 rocket barrel.(We go all out) Which went fine at first, at least until it tipped. My uncle grabbed my brother and threw him over his shoulder, and I went sprinting for the hills. Rockets going everywhere, debris of the rockets scraping, but that adrenaline rush was fantastic.  No one got anything more than a few burns and scratches. But one to the face could've been a kill.

The only other one I remember well was not to long ago, I woke up unable to breath. It was around 2am, my lungs felt like they just stopped working. I nailed myself in the chest and rolled off the bed, and rushed for water. I drank a little, than everything went back to normal. I was going to go to a doctor, but I never got around to it and I haven't had the problem again.

Fun times :P

Edited by Retro*Derpy

I was born dead, actually.

But somehow I managed to revive myself...? I don't even know.

Actually, it went like this.

There were some problems at my birth and the doctors pulled me by my hand. They damaged my right arm. I can't move it in a full range, but as a kid I could barely even move my pinkie, so, success I guess?

Then the doctors got me away from my mum. She wanted to know what happenned to me, but the next day they brought me back to her and told her I was born dead.

Wait...

I was born dead...? Am I a zombie?

Anyway, it's pretty metal.

• Brohoof 1

Yes.

I was at my grandma's house when I was 6 or so and they were handing around a tin full of nuts.  Not knowing I was really allergic my dad gave me a cashew.  My mouth started to burn.  We were going to rush to the hospital, but my brother got stuck in my grandma's bathroom.  They had to tear the door down before we got into the car and we went straight for the hospital.  I kept on saying I wanted to go to sleep, but my parents told me not to.  I was given a shot and everything was fine after that.  They told me that I would've died if my parents got their later then they did.

Edited by Dusty Soul

I was born three months premature with hydrocephalus. I came so close to death I wasn't expected to survive and even after surviving, I wasn't expected to walk or talk. Now I do both because I'm awesome. :comeatus: GG, Reaper.

Anyone that has done a PADI SCUBA course knows what it is like. One of the training "drills" (if you can call it that) is you have to be in a confined water situation, at four metres, and have your air turned off. Once the residual air left in the hoses is gone, only then you can have your air turned on. It takes about 10 seconds to get fully turned on though. Also, you cannot hold your breath. You have to breath out constantly. Also, had a frightening experience once diving.

not as close to death as the other ones but i almost fell off a cruise ship in the caribbean

That counts...

I dont see how its not coming close to death.

The closest I ever been to was when me and my dad were going to pick up my mom from work and it was beginning to get darker, but not too dark. We were driving down this road that had a farm with big open fields and a bunch of animals.

Well, in the distance, this cow was standing in the middle of the road. It was an all black cow and kind of hard to see. We were going the speed limit, but it was fast enough to if we hit it, it could crush us. We barely passed it and it was such heart attack for us.

I was once held over a balcony

I was choking on food quite a few times

I survived 2012

My dad once told me that when he was a kid he and his brother were fighting and he accidently got pushed on the road of a highway

I would not say that I have ever come close to death, but I have been in a few potentially life threatening situations.

When I was a very young child, most likely somewhere between 5 and 8 years old, I was in the swimming pool with someone who I think was around 12 or 13 at the time. He was much bigger and stronger than I was at the time. We were playing in the pool, and he proceeded to attempt to trap me beneath the water with his pink inflatable raft. I doubt he had any serious intention to hurt me, but he was most likely not truly thinking about what he was doing and could have injured me regardless. I do not remember how long I was underneath the water, but it must have only been a few seconds. Regardless, in that moment I almost felt like it was my time to die. I remember looking at the wall of the pool underneath the water and thinking about how wonderful it would be to see God. But, then I realized how sad my parents would be if I died, and how it was not my time to die. I felt a swell of energy within me, and my next actions did not feel truly conscious. I saw a blinding flash of golden light that covered the entirety of my vision, and I flung the boy off of me with such tremendous strength that his inflatable raft stood up vertically on the water, and he fell off of it backwards. That required far more strength than I physically had at the time. That scared him, and he left me alone after that.

When I was somewhat older, my dad had taken me to go sledding on a hill behind my old elementary school after school. The hill in question had a staircase on it to make it easier and safer to get between the school and the playground, field, and so on. I stepped onto the cement landing at the base of the staircase, which was bordered by two small cement walls that were most likely no taller than a foot or two in height, possibly less. I was walking across the landing toward the staircase itself, but I slipped sideways on the ice. At that moment it felt as if time had come to a halt. I remember vaguely seeing myself from some external vantage point outside of my body and ordinary physical perception. My body was tilted to the side as if it were about to fall, yet it was frozen, motionless. Then, I witnessed an unseen force pushing my body back upright - this was not a conscious action on my part, nor one that was even physically possible. Once I had returned to a solid standing position, I returned to a standard frame of awareness. I do not know for sure what would have happened had I fell, but it is very possible that my head could have landed on one of those short cement walls, which could have potentially killed me, or cause me to suffer from some manner of trauma to the brain. I am not entirely sure what I believe saved me, but I regard this event in a paranormal and spiritual light. While this event is of tremendous importance to me, it is one out of many unexplainable events in my life.

More recently, back in 2012, I was in 10th grade. It was my first day of school. I was walking in the street to meet my dad in a certain location in which he had parked away from the school. It was my mistake to be walking in the street, but I had decided to risk it due to the fact that it seemed to be a relatively small, and at that moment, quiet street. However, as I kept walking at some point I saw two vehicles ahead that seemed to be driven by upperclassmen from my school. It seemed that they were intent on racing each other, as one of those cars came speeding toward me. If the driver was aware of my presence in the road, he did not care, for he showed no signs of slowing down. Thankfully, I stepped out of danger into the grass, but that individual sped by only a two or three seconds later. While it could have been much worse, I am very thankful that it was not. Still, the experience shook me up a fair amount.

one major near-death experience

it was when I was a wee little lad I had a bit of a muscle (guess it was some form of birth defect or sumit like that) and I kept vomiting my meals out, I was being starved because of this muscle so they had to cut it out of my body.

We used to have these little glass dragon thingys, and one time I was playing around and i accidentally hit the cabinet that they were on and it fell on me, there was loads of blood coming from my head and I had to get glue or something.

One time last year I was playing football during break at school, got inbetween to of my friends and tripped, i banged my head on the concrete floor we were playing on and I was unconscience for about 2 minutes and I had to go to hospital. Closest things ive had to near death experiences.