Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Spinoff Show?

Geminii

There is so much fanfare for background ponies, supporting characters, and villains alike, what if there were a spinoff series that focused exclusively on these? Perhaps cameo appearances here and there of the mane 6 or even explore what else is happening while the Spirits of Harmony are saving Equestria. Maybe this has been brought up before (i have not been through every post) but with the existing lore and fan base. would anypony watch a show like this?

I could see very unique episodes that don't quite follow a story arc as a whole, but can really explore the lives of these characters we love. I'm still a relatively new brony but can easily see "A day in the life of Chrysallis" or something ridiculously destructive with "Discord and Derpy"  I'll let you envision these on your own, just tossing out examples.

Thoughts? Or am I beating a dead ...thing with a stick?

• Brohoof 4

It would be nice. Just as long as it's not Equestria Girls, I would like to watch it. I just hope any spin-off they do make doesn't end up as just fan-service/making tons of references to and for Bronies.

That sounds like a very interesting spinoff show idea. As long as it isn't a spinoff that just wants to make references, then it is a great idea to see the villains as they spend their lives.

I could actually see this happening in the main series. Sooner or later, the writers are going to run low on ideas for episodes involving one or all of the Mane 6, Spike, the CMC, or anyone else who has had more than 30 seconds of speaking time. The way I see it is this: when this does eventually happen, if the writers are smart, they will begin weaving other, more obscure ponies into the mix of things to keep things fresh. They could take inspiration from us or not, it doesn't really matter. The point is that they have oodles of untapped stories to tell with the amount of background ponies they've come up with. Though, in the end, they do have to involve one of the main characters somehow, because then it really wouldn't be the same show.

I would like to see small spin offs, if that would ever happen. Not long running shows, but around a dozen of episodes max for each of them. Enough to tell some stories that add some things to the canon. And it don't even have to be major secondary characters, even though I'd love to see a spin offf dealing with Celestia and Luna's past for example.

There are some background or minor secondary characters with tons of potential for good spin offs.

Like Daring Do, The Wonderbolts, Trixie...

• Brohoof 2

Okay, now yall got me thinking... Yea, it would probably be short lived but a break from the mane 6 from time to time to explore these various characters a little would be interesting. I say a little because you don't want too much of a good thing, and there are so many characters to do this with, also. I'm sure there will be plenty of our chaotic friend and dreamy princess in season 4, though I am guessing entirely!

As for a spin-off, I honestly wouldn't them doing a slightly more "mature"(for lack of a better word), series that follows the tone and humor of the comics more. I think the comics show that it is a lot of untapped potential that's held back by Hasbro wanting to play it so safe.    

• Brohoof 1

Definitely about the Wonderbolts! Like, "A Day in The Life of The Wonderbolts"...

Or maybe "The Lyra and BonBon Show". And Lyra interviews random ponies from all around Ponyville in her house and BonBon is always trying to shoo them away because they annoy her.

Why not?

Edited by ~Chaotic Fireball~

As for a spin-off, I honestly wouldn't them doing a slightly more "mature"(for lack of a better word), series that follows the tone and humor of the comics more. I think the comics show that it is a lot of untapped potential that's held back by Hasbro wanting to play it so safe.    

In the world of MLP FiM, I can definitely imagine a mature variant of the environment. Think 'Wizard of Oz' and the dark side that has been pursued there. I wonder what a timberwolf does to its prey upon catching it, or how a dragon acquires its treasure? There must be more stone statues out there in the Everfree forest, victims of the cockatrice. Air it on adult swim/toonami. Yea right >_>

In the world of MLP FiM, I can definitely imagine a mature variant of the environment. Think 'Wizard of Oz' and the dark side that has been pursued there. I wonder what a timberwolf does to its prey upon catching it, or how a dragon acquires its treasure? There must be more stone statues out there in the Everfree forest, victims of the cockatrice. Air it on adult swim/toonami. Yea right >_>

I don't quite that dark, just telling more serious stories like the comic does and maybe sneaking a little past the radar every now and then. 

I could totally see them doing a spin off with the Cutie Mark Crusaders because in the show they clearly have a separate storyline in their episodes where the usual main characters are background ponies.

Edited by DarligPegasi

I was leaning more to something along the lines of 7-10 minute shorts.  Each one features a secondary/background character, and has one situation per episode.  Almost like the Disney cartoon shorts.  

There is so much fanfare for background ponies, supporting characters, and villains alike, what if there were a spinoff series that focused exclusively on these? Perhaps cameo appearances here and there of the mane 6 or even explore what else is happening while the Spirits of Harmony are saving Equestria. Maybe this has been brought up before (i have not been through every post) but with the existing lore and fan base. would anypony watch a show like this?

I could see very unique episodes that don't quite follow a story arc as a whole, but can really explore the lives of these characters we love. I'm still a relatively new brony but can easily see "A day in the life of Chrysallis" or something ridiculously destructive with "Discord and Derpy"  I'll let you envision these on your own, just tossing out examples.

Thoughts? Or am I beating a dead ...thing with a stick?

That's somewhat what the fans are doing. If the staff of MLP worked on that, they wouldn't be able to do FIM as much. I think I like the background characters and villains as they are.