Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

So I'm making smoothies.

SkyDream

Disclaimer:  It might be best to keep each individual food item to its own topic.  Things are much less clogged this way.

So I got tired of having to pay five dollars for a small smoothie at <any store at all> and decided to make my own.  Right now I'm doing alright with just chopped ice and fruit in a blender.  I made a strawberry and banana smoothie.  I may have cheated by adding a half-cup of sugar, but it didn't blend well and it's a bit crunchier than it was before I added the sugar.  I kind of feel like the sugar needs to be dissolved first into a watery solution before adding.  Or just add vanilla syrup.  That stuff is awesome.

So if it's so easy to make a fruit smoothie, what's stopping anyone here?

A lot of blenders can't handle crushing ice. I know I had to dish out a bunch of money for a decent blender. I got lucky, too, and my dad gave me his NuWave party blender thing that he never used, and that crushes ice like a dream.

But yeah, homemade smoothies are the best!! I like strawberries (and other berries, too!), bananas, peaches, and mango in mine. Try adding a little yogurt for sweetness instead of sugar, or some fruit juice!

I guess people just prefer buying smoothies that are already made for them. Usually, there are some blenders that aren't reliable. But, maybe it's the cost of the ingredients and the equipment I don't know.

I actually have a pretty cheap, dinky blender and it handles ice just fine. Throw in some milk, a couple of bananas, and a blob of sugar and I'm good to go. You don't really need a fancy top-of-the-line blender to make good smoothies.

44819__safe_animated_trixie_drinking_boa

• Brohoof 4

Smoothies are ok, but I'm picky with my smoothies. For instance one time someone gave me a watermelon and cucumber smoothie and that kinda ruined smoothies for me for a while.

last smoothie i made kinda destroyed the blender. but it was pretty damn good with strawberry, sugar, some milk and banana

still, the ice kinda destroyed the blades of the blender. so no smoothies for me for a while.

Edited by repsol rave

Smoothies are awesome! I make them all the time. The important thing is to have a heavy-duty blender that can handle crushing the ice really fine. And sugar isn't really needed if the fruit is really fresh and ripe. But if you're using frozen fruit, dissolve the sugar in some milk before adding it to the smoothie.

Ice cream or sorbet can make it really creamy, but it also adds extra calories. A banana can also make it creamy, but I personally don't like bananas, so there's that. 

My personal favorite is a strawberry, raspberry and peach smoothie with a scoop of raspberry sorbet in the smoothie. Cold and very sweet, but delicious! :)

after i saw this thread i decided to make my own smoothie some ice a bit of sugar and full box of Ben And Jerrys  everything but the flavor+ cinnamon buns flavor (including cinnamon buns dough and reeces peanut buter cups) there u have heaven in a cup with a slight sprinkle of diabetes : D

• Brohoof 1

the only thing stopping me is that i have to decide between smoothie or energy drink. HOW AM I SUPPOSED TO CHOOSE between two that tasty things.  :(

BTW when combining energy drink and smoothie it tastes like frozen power, if you add some mountain dew you will get the sweet taste of diabetes.  :D

Edited by a crazy pony

Smoothies are awesome! I make them all the time. The important thing is to have a heavy-duty blender that can handle crushing the ice really fine. And sugar isn't really needed if the fruit is really fresh and ripe. But if you're using frozen fruit, dissolve the sugar in some milk before adding it to the smoothie.

Ice cream or sorbet can make it really creamy, but it also adds extra calories. A banana can also make it creamy, but I personally don't like bananas, so there's that. 

My personal favorite is a strawberry, raspberry and peach smoothie with a scoop of raspberry sorbet in the smoothie. Cold and very sweet, but delicious! :)

zOMG that sounds freaking amazing! Im so going to try doing something like that. I just wish I had a heavy blender to make it really smooth. You are just awesome for being able to make something like that.  :D

• Brohoof 1

zOMG that sounds freaking amazing! Im so going to try doing something like that. I just wish I had a heavy blender to make it really smooth. You are just awesome for being able to make something like that.  :D

Aww, thankies! xD We didn't have air conditioning for the longest time, so we had to find inventive ways to cool off. Smoothies was one of them. You should totally try the smoothie sometime, you can get Haagen Daz raspberry sorbet at Wal-Mart or someplace. :3

• Brohoof 1

Smoothies are great to have on various occasions for me. I don't usually have them all that frequently, but whenever I get in my semi-rare smoothie-mood(yes I have a mood for smoothies!) then I'll be making myself some good o'l strawberry and banana smoothie! :P

I think it's easy to make, so like you said, I don't get why more people just choose not to ever make em. 

Plus they're kind of fun to make. It gives you a chance to get a little creative with what you drink! :P

Edited by Sanderspie

so we all like pepsi right? or ice tea. Fizzy stuff. recipe for fizzy smoothie

get some carbonated water (aka class water, or fizzy water XD)

two scoops of ur favorite ice cream

some ice

u can add some root beer or cream soda <3 if u want

and ull be jumping more than pinkie for days

bam fizy heaven in cup also with a sprinkle of diabetes :P

Edited by supersonic rainboom
  • Brohoof 1