Reactions on the new "Smile HD" video

Candy Blaze

I sorta like FiMFlamFilosophy, although I don't watch a lot of their stuff, honestly.

I looked up the video. I like how Surprise is in it, and I really like the song itself, although I'm not a big fan of Dash's vocalist. Which, as I remind myself, is probably the reason I'm not big on their stuff. I know it's no one's fault, but still. :/

I don't watch many of their videos because they're too damn long but the short ones are pretty cool.

I think the problem is that they use the genderswap thing where the female characters are voiced by males and the male characters are voiced by females, but since most of the MLP characters are females it gets a little weird in episodes that don't have like crossovers or originals and stuff.

A lot of them are also really long and aren't funny enough for the 20-minute time investment. 

I watch Alicorn Day daily though. Probably one of the funniest MLP videos ever.

Back to the topic.

For some reason, I find Cupcakes a lot more tolerable than Smile now that I think about it. Maybe because the animation isn't as up to par and thus less horrifying. I should inspect this too.

I found that the music made it even more WTF IS THIS kind of video and laughed to what the hell I was watching. I had to smile on the Smile HD video. It totally got me and I was like "Well Pinkie's getting shit done...." But when Fluttershy started to be all Chuck Norris, man that was really entertaining. I couldn't compare this to Cupcakes HD because this is even more screwed (yet funny lol, DON'T JUDGE MY DARK HUMOR) up than that.

I've watched the video multiple times to really try and understand what I feel about it and it actually comes down to the first impression I had, which is; it's animated stupidly well and the song is freaking great (of course, it was made separately, so I at least get to enjoy it without the accursed video) but that doesn't change that the acts and theme are disgusting and worthy of a trash-bin. Just a waste of space on a youtube server hard drive somewhere, to be honest, even if that sounds rude, and it's also a waste of the creator's talent that he could spend making actual art or at the very least things that are humorous without such gross violence.

I'm just curious, what exactly is the theme you see? I'm wondering what kind of theme could be worthy of a trash bin. 

And, this is more of a side note but, I found PARTY.MOV way, way, way more disgusting than Smile HD. 

Smile HD compared to PONY.MOV is rubbish. It's just shock value at its worst, not even interesting in the juxtaposition it could present between the way we react to violence around things we would normally find endearing.

I don't know; it looks like it's really good at getting that kind of reaction out of its viewers: 

Tons of violence + non-pony stuff = okay with me

Tons of violence + happy fun time music + ponies = the greatest sin to ever grace the internet

It's almost like interactive art at this point.  :catface:

I'm just curious, what exactly is the theme you see? I'm wondering what kind of theme could be worthy of a trash bin. 

And, this is more of a side note but, I found PARTY.MOV way, way, way more disgusting than Smile HD. 

I don't know; it looks like it's really good at getting that kind of reaction out of its viewers: 

Tons of violence + non-pony stuff = okay with me

Tons of violence + happy fun time music + ponies = the greatest sin to ever grace the internet

Violence thrown in the face of innocence. Always screwed up in my humble opinion. It's a sort of comparison and contrast that really doesn't need to ever be made simply because everyone already knows it's screwed up.

I can agree that PARTY.MOV is pretty bad, definitely the most distasteful and hardest-to-watch part of PONY.MOV as a whole. SHED is also up there because of the violence, but both of them are pretty nonsensical and surreal, much more so than Smile, even if that too is also ridiculous.

While the way you put it makes it seem arbitrary, true, that doesn't change the effect it has on people, including myself. It's still out of place and disturbing.

• Brohoof 1

I had mixed feelings. I didn't care much when Twilight was gone or Rarity. I feel if Applejack could have gotten a rear kick in before she stood there like a wide open target smiling like "Hi, kill me :]". Then she would have stood a better chance. I knew Pinkie would get back up after Dashie's Rainboom Kick but i was excited when I saw DBZ mode. When I saw my favorite Flutters I was cheering for her the whole time. But then Pinkie got lucky by smacking Fluttershy in the face with the block of words and vaporized her which I did not enjoy seeing one bit. At least Fluttershy got close. 

Out of 10 I would give it a 6. 

• Brohoof 1

So I was surfing around on youtube and had just finished watching a good analysis video by Bronycurious. I was enjoying myself and decided to view one of the videos labeled "Recommended for You". I had never seen this particular video before so I decided to check it out. The video is titled "Smile HD". I don't know if this video is new or has been around for a while and if it has I imagine it is rather infamous, though it's a wonder I've never heard of it before. I have no idea why youtube would recommend this for me as I never watch THIS kind of pony video. :huh: I'm not easily offended, but I was this time.  I'm actually quite proud of myself though as I was able to stifle my kneejerk reaction to post angry, hateful things on the video's comment page. :squee: 

The video seems like a sweet and fun music video of Pinkie's Smile song. Well, 3pfono.jpg

(sorry about that but it was too perfect)

The reason I'm writing this is to warn anyone who hasn't seen it to beware (unless you like blood and gore then by all means enjoy) and I just had to vent a little.  I was in the U.S. Navy for 4 years as a MA (military police for those unaware) and I've had to work a few traffic accidents and crime scenes. Naturally I've seen more than my fair share of the inner workings of the human anatomy. You would think that by now I would be desensitized to it, but ever since the last incident I worked (a murder) I've had the opposite effect and tend to be on the hypersensitive side. I still have nightmares from time to time.

This reminds me of the time I accidentally saw a few scenes from the anime "Blood C". I still have the occasional anxiety attack when I remember it and I think this is gonna go the same way. :( I know this post is kind of ridiculous and I should just get over it, but I live alone and felt the need to talk to others who would be more understanding than most. :) 

Anyway, sorry for taking up your guys' time. Now I'll just self-medicate with MLP proper, Kingdom Hearts HD 1.5 Remix, Final Fantasy XIV and just a little bit of alcohol. :squee: I'll also try and get some sleep despite seeing poor Twilight Sparkle's severed head every time I close my eyes. :( (that's as far as I got before I panic-quitting youtube.)

One more thing, if anyone knows if there is a filter on youtube that I could use, please tell me. I can't find it.

No, actually this video is fairly recent to my knowledge, and it has sparked quite a bit of controversy in the fandom. 

I also had the misfortune of getting unknowingly linked to this video, and the first thing I did was warn my brother, who's a fan of the show but not of the community, since he's especially sensitive to such things. Don't link it on these forums, there's a strict NSFW policy here and that video is definitely NSFW. 

*shudder* Yeah. Thankfully I didn't watch the whole thing through. I have an unusual sense of humor, but that just made me queasy. I don't know how people can find that funny.

• Brohoof 3

Don't link it on these forums, there's a strict NSFW policy here and that video is definitely NSFW.

Yeah, I thought if people want to watch it, they can go look it up themselves. I don't want to go back to that youtube page ever again. 

Twili's severed head? wow I heard a bit about this video but it's really THAT bad? I mean again I heard it was a little "snuffy" but damn sounds a bit too far than the usual gore thrown around the net. Glad I haven't seen it yet. If it's played along side Pinkie's smile song I wonder how many people that songs been ruined for.

Twili's severed head? wow I heard a bit about this video but it's really THAT bad? I mean again I heard it was a little "snuffy" but damn sounds a bit too far than the usual gore thrown around the net. Glad I haven't seen it yet. If it's played along side Pinkie's smile song I wonder how many people that songs been ruined for.

Oh no, on a hypothetical horrific score ranging from 0-10 it's a solid 9. Pretty disgusting. I still stand by my previous statements in  that it is garbage, a complete waste of space both on the internet and of the creator's talents.

This is replying to Sylentmana whose thread was merged.

Oh you mean that video? The one with Pinkie Pie and her HUUUUGE smile  :muffins: ? It's appeared several times on the "recommended for you" list, but I just thought it was some animation of Pinkie Pie and her smile song...

*decides to watch video*

So we've got a combination of My Little Pony, Happy Tree Friends, and.. Dragonball Z lol. I'll admit it was a little hard watching our pony friends getting butchered and beat. There's a lot more worse things in terms of blood and gore to watch than this, but I can understand why you'd be disturbed. I don't think there's a filter on YouTube, but you can try searching for one. Usually videos that have suggestive content gets flagged and prevents younger viewers from seeing them.

Other thoughts: Pinkie Pie's smile and smile song are awesome but.....her smile in this video is kinda creepy :blink: . Why was Apple Jack smiling after Pinkie Pie finished Rarity?! Poor Twilight and Fluttershy :( .

• Brohoof 1

I hadn't realized there was a whole other thread for this. I don't believe I'll be reading much of it though. Any little tidbit about the further contents of the video only makes things worse for me :blush: . I don't know what Happy Tree Friends is but I now know to avoid it. Also, I sincerely hope the creator of the video stubs his toe something fierce when he gets up to use the bathroom in the middle of the night.

@

Actually no, I had no idea that's who made it. I've avoided "Cupcakes" like a syringe containing the plague, AIDS, hepatitis, and herpes. That does explain a lot though.  I still have no idea why youtube would recommend something so abhorrent to me though. I never watch that kind of stuff.

Edited by Sylentmana
  • Brohoof 2

I hadn't realized there was a whole other thread for this. I don't believe I'll be reading much of it though. Any little tidbit about the further contents of the video only makes things worse for me :blush: . I don't know what Happy Tree Friends is but I now know to avoid it. Also, I sincerely hope the creator of the video stubs his toe something fierce when he gets up to use the bathroom in the middle of the night.

Happy Tree Friends is a terrible flash animated show with gratuitous violence and gore. And, yeah, there's something i wish upon the creator of Smile HD and Cupcakes but... that's neither here nor there...

• Brohoof 1

I've said this before and I'll say it again.

I liked the video. To me, I am *slightly* unmoved by the gore (but that unexpected head decapitating did get to me for a moment). I've seen videos on YouTube that have even more gore. This is meant to be funny too, not meaning to insult or traumatized anyone. Therefore, i think they're raking this too seriously. If MisterDavey was reading this, I'd say good job with the animations and keep up the good work!

Edited by Pinky
  • Brohoof 2

i just sat there for like an hour just like O_O...Q_Q. O@O... /)O_o(\ then started to slowly put down my ipod to play some halo as i sat there i decided to watch more of his videops and my favorite has to be. gilda wants you to shut up... its hilarious

Umm... you do know it is by the same person who did Cupcakes, is it not? If so, then you should have known it wouldn't be sweet and innocent.

There really are no warnings in the title, the thumbail, or in the beginning of the video. People shouldn't have to investigate who made something before you click on something thats looks like its the opposite. Hell its prob a youtube recommended video despite all the violence. I'd really hate if my kids or anyone elses came across that video. All I'll say is i was really not comfortable with  the level of violence in it combined with the humor. I guess cuteness + humor + intense violence + unexpected = fail in my book. Just seems so attention getting w/o a single point to it.

Edited by Freewave
  • Brohoof 3

There really are no warnings in the title, the thumbail, or in the beginning of the video. Hell its prob a youtube recommended video despite all the violence. I'd really hate if my kids or anyone elses came across that video.

This right here is also something that irked me as well. "Oh, you know it's by the same guy that did Cupcakes, riiiiiight?" Yeah, great, I'll make sure to tell that to my 4-year-old niece when she stumbles upon this little gem while browsing YouTube for MLP vids. I'm sure she and every other little kid and their parents know exactly who that is and what to expect out of this.[/sarcasm]

I'm sorry if I'm coming off as prudish or demanding here, but I do honestly believe that we as bronies need to be more careful of what we make and how we present it. I don't care how entitled bronies want to think we are, but the fact is, this is still, and always will be a little kid's show we're into. If people want to make "edgy" or violent or randy shit, then be my guest, but at least package it properly and don't try to hide it under an innocent label just so you can pretend to be "le b3st trole" and that way mum doesn't have to explain to little Sally why Rainbow Dash's guts are all over the place.

• Brohoof 11

This right here is also something that irked me as well. "Oh, you know it's by the same guy that did Cupcakes, riiiiiight?" Yeah, great, I'll make sure to tell that to my 4-year-old niece when she stumbles upon this little gem while browsing YouTube for MLP vids. I'm sure she and every other little kid and their parents know exactly who that is and what to expect out of this.[/sarcasm]

I'm sorry if I'm coming off as prudish or demanding here, but I do honestly believe that we as bronies need to be more careful of what we make and how we present it. I don't care how entitled bronies want to think we are, but the fact is, this is still, and always will be a little kid's show we're into. If people want to make "edgy" or violent or randy shit, then be my guest, but at least package it properly and don't try to hide it under an innocent label just so you can pretend to be "le b3st trole" and that way mum doesn't have to explain to little Sally why Rainbow Dash's guts are all over the place.

This.

I feel like I can't give this enough bro-hoofs. If I was practically traumatized by the video when I only saw the first part, I can only imagine what some poor kid would feel. I wouldn't be surprised if they were too scared to watch the show again because it reminds them of this video. It seems to me that the longer season 4 takes to come out, the more these unpleasant things show up.

• Brohoof 1

I agree completely. I'm actually doing a  tongue in cheek / funny / innuendo laden song for the Milkmare of Trottingham ( a very popular r34 OC pony) and I'm going to be very careful about HOW i present it (censoring fan art, warning upfront, etc) as there will be people who won't want to view or will get upset if they do. Sure there's an older audience that likes r34 and grimdark and THAT'S FINE but you have to warn people and label things appropriately if you're going that direction. Anything less then that is trolling, inconsiderate, and it shouldn't accidentally, fall into the hands of the younger portion of our audience,

It's not about being a prude it's about being considerate and having standards.

If I was practically traumatized by the video when I only saw the first part, I can only imagine what some poor kid would feel.

Depends on the kid. If they are either too young & naive and/or never been introduced to gore, they probably wouldn't be traumatized (or perhaps not traumatized at all, maybe at least scared) . They'd probably go, "what's that red thing? Is Twilight a bad guy in this? What's going on? OOH A PART FROM DRAGONBALL Z!" By the time they do know what blood and gore is, it's probably when they're a bit older when common sense start to come into their head, and they either wouldn't remember the video or have grown out if it. [/logic]

Edited by Pinky
  • Brohoof 3

Yeah, i don't see how this was traumatizing.

Gross at times? yes. Messed up? Sure.
Scary? Um, no. The happy music, bright colors and cartoony animation style makes that impossible IMO.

I read manga like Hellsing, Attack on Titan, and Berserk.
This video is honestly tame.

I actaully consider myself an evil basturd,

and i didn't like it LOL.

I mean i'd be the first to watch gleefully watching someone like discord or what have you burning equistra down,

but seeing pinkee straight go full blown bat shit for no reason,

i like my voilences to have a specific reason lol