Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Reactions on the new "Smile HD" video

Candy Blaze

A new video by MisterDavie was uploaded recently and my opinion to it was, a bit of fear at the first couple of seconds, then once Pinkie started running I thought, "Hey I think that this will be catchy!"

Later I was just speechless until RD came and I knew she would do some awesome sonic rainboomness! But I was shocked when she lost... Until Fluttershy came and then my reaction was, "Dang."

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mNrXMOSkBas

What was your reaction?

• Brohoof 2

This thread appears to be related to the My Little Pony franchise and/or the Bronydom in general. Thus, it has been sentenced to Sugarcube Corner.

This is an automatically generated message, by the way.

EDIT: Also, the amount of gore in the video in question makes it not appropriate to share on this site. Please don't post it, anyone.

Edited by DashForever
  • Brohoof 6

Um, I believe you have the wrong link to the video. You have the regular Smile song, not Smile.HD. 

But, as for the video, I honestly kind of liked it. The animation was smooth and I love the song, despite what happened during it. xD

Edited by WheatleyCore
  • Brohoof 4

Heh, it was pretty funny and enjoyable, my friend showed it to me at school, at first I was like dafuq? But then I watched it again and I was like "This is awesome." 

Better than Double Rainbow IMO.

This video makes me smile. And I don't know why.

I love the show, I love every single character there. But for some reason, the whole thing. Those moments with

Pinkie punching Twilight's head off, or Dash's terrified leap away from her laser beam...

I just love it :umad:

Edited by FizzL
  • Brohoof 1

I know which video you refer to... I'm really not a big fan of the gratuitous violence. I think I'm just going to listen to the rest of the original and use it to push the memories of the other one away.

I found it very entertaining. MisterDavie has great animating skills. I can understand that some people don't like the intensive violence shown.

I can't understand how Pinkie Pie survived a direct sonic-rainboom kick to the head, and took dozens of punches from Fluttershy. I guess her insanity makes her indestructible.

Um, I believe you have the wrong link to the video. You have the regular Smile song, not Smile.HD. 

But, as for the video, I honestly kind of liked it. The animation was smooth and I love the song, despite what happened during it. xD

My first time sharing a video and I'm using my ipad... Sorry and yeah.... I should delete this thread because of the amount of gore.... Heh heh... Sorry mlp forums....

I haven't watched it and don't really intend to, though people keep telling me about it. Personally, I really find it silly how people feel this need to shoehorn gratuitous violence where it doesn't belong or isn't needed just for the sake of proving to the world how 'edgy' you are and get cheap shock value. Sad thing is that the makers are clearly very talented and skilled and could make something really cool if they weren't so fixated on trying to be the next Happy Tree Friends.

But that's just me.

• Brohoof 14

I loved the song. I loved the overall animation.

But seeing my favorite pony, Pinkie Pie, epically murder the rest of the mane 6....

Not sure if completely awesome or completely fucked up.

Edited by Dsanders

Okay, I just finished watching Smile HD...it was...umm...words can't really describe it so I'll just post a picture to sum up my reaction.

fluttershy___scared_by_theflutterknight-

The animation was pretty good, and the video itself wasn't so bad. I just don't really care for the violence. It doesn't gross me out or anything, I just don't really enjoy watching it.

Edited by BioticDemon
  • Brohoof 5

(edited)

If I may praise it through disgust, I loved it. It was far more disturbing to me than 'Cupcakes' was. At least with 'Cupcakes' I was well-aware of the infamous gorefic of which it was based. (Fun fact: I read Cupcakes while eating popcorn chicken.) And that fantastic Andrew W.K. song greatly fit the environment. This? DAH! That particular remix of the happiest Pinkie Pie song made it all the more beautifully unsettling. Lord only knows how many times I rewatched it.

Yeah I didn't like the Derpy one at all either.... I really did not like it.... I will delete this thread soon because of the gore and what not... I feel like a jerk for not obeying Mlp forum rules....

Edited by DashForever
replying to hidden content

Honestly?

I think it kicked ass. 

mlfw1546-pinkie_pie___badge_by_zobe-d4hh

Like, the part when Pinkie Roundhouse kicked Twilight's head clean off? Or when Dash vomited her entrails? Or when Fluttershy did the lightning fast punches?

It was hilarious. The Animation was flawless and the music was good too!

Anybody offend by this needs to get some tougher skin if you ask me.

(There was a warning at the beginning, by the way. :lol: )

• Brohoof 2

Applejack got taken down to easy. Twilight and rarity all I can say is the disrespect was immense. Fluttershy was the OP one, and Rainbow dash should have won. Mindless violence not even shonen goes that far.

• Brohoof 2

Um...  Well.  I guess it settles the question of whether or not an earth pony could be a villain.  Otherwise, I'm not really a fan of the gore and destruction, and I kinda have to wonder about someone who hates the message of FiM enough to put that much effort into attacking it.

My mistake when I first watched this vid at the beginning of the week was that I didn't realize going in that this was the same guy who made both the "Cupcakes" video and the "Derpy Gets Pranked" video.  I've never seen the former but have seen the latter, and really didn't find it that amusing.

As for this vid, yes, when it got to about the minute and a half mark, I was taken completely off guard.  While I wasn't really disgusted to the point of being morally offended or anything, I will say this; besides having some phenomenal music and animation, I fail to see the artistic merit to this.  This guy's schtick is plain and simply this; make MLP vids that are designed to attract viewers SIMPLY because of their shocking, graphic nature.  In my opinion, this is hardly different from Miley Cyrus gyrating and dry-humping like an idiot onstage at the MTV VMAs simply to gain as much attention as possible, and neither have really any artistic appeal to me.  Yeah, he'll get his views, but beside the aforementioned quality in the music and animation, that still doesn't mean that the actual content of the vid itself has any artistic merit, and therefore I cannot say that I find anything appealing in this vid as a whole, positive individual qualities aside.

Edited by Batbrony
  • Brohoof 10

Huh... Well, that certainly was interesting. Not my cup of tea, but to me it seemed like a mix of Friendship is Magic, Happy Tree Friends, and Dragon Ball Z. Strangely enough, I'm a fan of 2 of 3 of these (used to be a fan of all 3, but I since then drifted away from HTF). So, even though it was gory, it wasn't offensive to me. I did enjoy the music and the quality of the animation. As usual, Pinkie breaks the 4th wall and I do kinda like her having DBZ-esque powers there. That was a nice touch, although it was used for something rather gruesome. Maybe it's the fact that's so not like her character that makes it interesting and somewhat enjoyable.

• Brohoof 2

I liked it.

Yes, I actually enjoyed it. Don't look at me like that!

I just loved the tremendous twist Davie gave it. It was amazingly gory and well animated, too.

• Brohoof 8

I went in completely unaware of what was to come. As soon as the mayhem started I was flabbergasted and appalled. I really felt like closing the page when Pinkie got to Applejack (the look on her face :(), but I stuck with it because it is a well made video. And you know I started cheering for Fluttershy and Rainbow Dash.

I like it in a sort of dark, sick, "this is so wrong" kind of way. It's nuts but definitely an awesome video

• Brohoof 3

Well, seeing this thread here piqued my curiosity since I wasn't quite sure what it was(thought people were just talking about some kind of Smile Song remix video or something), so I watched it. All I can really say is... well, I hated it, and I never want to see it again. Senseless, tasteless, and overly gratuitous, I just can't fathom why time and effort was put into making this. Simply awful. :(

• Brohoof 11

As for this vid, yes, when it got to about the minute and a half mark, I was taken completely off guard.  While I wasn't really disgusted to the point of being morally offended or anything, I will say this; besides having some phenomenal music and animation, I fail to see the artistic merit to this.  This guy's schtick is plain and simply this; make MLP vids that are designed to attract viewers SIMPLY because of their shocking, graphic nature...Yeah, he'll get his views, but beside the aforementioned quality in the music and animation, that still doesn't mean that the actual content of the vid itself has any artistic merit, and therefore I cannot say that I find anything appealing in this vid as a whole, positive individual qualities aside.
I've mulled over this for a while and I'm still a bit lost. Can you (or anyone really) explain to me what artistic merit is? I've read some basic definitions but they're quite vague and broad. Is there a set criteria you're using to decide whether something has artistic merit or not and if you are, can you share it with me?
  • Brohoof 1