Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Your Unanswered Pony Questions

NocturnalTwilight

Oh, goody! A fresh place to spew my headcannon theories! Well, take with a grain of salt anything I say, as I usually am working on what little facts I do have! I'll have to come back again some other time when I've got more of it!

Did Celestia and Luna have good friends before they became Alicorn Princesses? And if they did, did the friends just die off with Celestia and Luna being stuck there having to make new friends?

Oh, undoubtedly. The two likely just outlived any & every friend they made. Probably while Luna is depressive & Celestia is standoffish for the most part. Thems the sour apples when it comes to immortality! Just ask the Doctor! (No, no wait, The Doctor. "the Doctor" is the brownish stallion in ponyville!)

Also, we've recently seen Rainbow Dash's Father,

Actually,  While I can't remember where specifically I heard it from, I remember watching/reading something recently where they asked the lady that drew/created that one scene what the intention was behind that character that was put there and she said that it was just a "older mentor" to Dash. A father figure perhaps, but seemed rather convinced that that wasn't her biological father.

To tack on my few questions before I gotta go:

Was just fiddling with my pony plushies as models for my drawing just now & it came to me.

Firstly: Are cutie marks supposed to be on BOTH flanks or just one side? These toys are seriously throwing me off.

Secondly: Why do ponies have that weird leg bend that crooks backwards past the flank, then curves back in diagonally towards the hoof? From what I've seen, not even real horses have that. Their legs just go straight down!

On a third, unrelated note:  Is that "Mare in the Moon" cursemark still on the moon? Because every fanwork (and these forums at night) show it as such. Wasn't that just a sign of Luna's banishment that disappeared when she was cured? Does Luna still have to work with moving the object that not only contained her but still carries a reminder of her sins? Geez, that's a darker reminder of depression than any Tantabus...

Firstly: Are cutie marks supposed to be on BOTH flanks or just one side? These toys are seriously throwing me off.

Depends on whether you take the show or the toys as primary canon. The show almost never shows a blank side except for rare occasions that seem to be animation errors rather than deliberate. On the toys, I think it's just cheap manufacturing where they can't be bothered to wait for the paint to dry and send the toy back through the machine a second time flipped over to get the other side.

Secondly: Why do ponies have that weird leg bend that crooks backwards past the flank, then curves back in diagonally towards the hoof? From what I've seen, not even real horses have that. Their legs just go straight down!

I think it's supposed to represent the hock, which on real horses is farther down the leg. It's the equivalent to the human ankle joint and makes it look like the horse has a backwards bending knee on their rear legs. Because the artists drew the hock so much higher than normal it gets that weird crooked look to it.

On a third, unrelated note:  Is that "Mare in the Moon" cursemark still on the moon? Because every fanwork (and these forums at night) show it as such. Wasn't that just a sign of Luna's banishment that disappeared when she was cured? Does Luna still have to work with moving the object that not only contained her but still carries a reminder of her sins? Geez, that's a darker reminder of depression than any Tantabus...

... Yeah, I noticed that too. Rather disturbing, really.

My question is simple; WILL someone please explain how their solar system works? Everything in the show and the comics seems to indicate that the solar system is Geocentric and that the sun and Moon do not have nearly as much gravitational sway in their universe.

But then we have a globe that reveals the planet is round and I've seen a message from big Jim or someone else saying the sun in Equestria is the same size as ours, which makes no goddamn sense considering how flippantly it's been tossed around in the sky.

Either Gravity and space-time as we know it are fundamentally different in pony land or we have some fatal grade continuity errors that simply saying "it's magic" doesn't rectify.

If Equestria's version of Sunset Shimmer ending up going to the human world, does that mean the human version of Sunset found a way into Equestria?

Or is there even a human world version of Sunset in the first place?

If Celestia raises the sun and Luna raises the moon, what happens when a solar eclipse occurs? Do they insist on intentionally "messing up" once a while ever since they accidentally found out and they just told the ponies that it was normal?! 

Well, time to answer a few questions before I toss in anymore!  (Disclaimer: Most of what I say is purely headcannon & theory, so take of it what you will)

When will we see the Mane 6 travel around to other parts of Equestria besides the parts they already been to?

Are there other forms of magic that Twilight will perform?

When you ascend, do you learn anything else that you may need in your future?

#1: Well, Think the upcoming movie succinctly answers that!

#2:  Considering how we've seen her turn mice into horses (Which I know was a disney reference, but still, that's like a human casting a spell to give human form & sentience to their test subjects) & what amounts to a mind control spell in the infamous Lesson Zero episode; there is literally no limit to her magic!

#3  Well, it depends on the type of ascension. In most fantasy games it usually involves complete reformation of physical form, but in Alicorn ascension, which I presume your referring to, it does seem to basically be not much more than an extra limb & some moderate boost to magical prowess. Now, i've got positively whole paragraphs about Alicorn headcannon, but sufficed to say... if you ascended that way by virtue of magical talent, then your horn will likely start growing exponentially while if you didn't have wings before, they'll be just as strong as any other pegusai that was born with them. Unless you train with your newfound limbs anyway.

Whether you can learn any foretelling clairvoyant powers seems to be based solely off practice. Celestia can do that, but it seems Twilight was sort of just dropped into alicornhood without any rules beforehoof. Cadence barely shows any alicorn powers herself, I'd say.

Why was Twilight Sparkle so unaware that she was being prepared for becoming royalty until it actually happened?

Has anyone ever questioned Celestia's authority?

#1:  Well, granted I think she did to some degree, she just didn't entertain the idea. Knowing how Twilight is bound to think of everything as a test & how she reported so diligently to Celestia to the point of worship, she likely just assumed all the proving herself would amount to just more testing or ,if she was lucky, a job as some magical professor or something. Considering how much she idolizes Celestia, becoming an alicorn herself would probably be seen to her as usurping her role model. And Twilight is nothing but humble.

Retroactively speaking now, it kind of seems that's the only way things could have gone. Pretty sure not just any magically talented teacher doesn't get hoofpicked by the leader of the free world for just another job.

#@: Hah-hah-haaaa....NO.     Nah, but think about it, Dahling. Somebody has been living & around for longer than most cities have stood or cultures or family heritages can even remember to this day where she even came from, wouldn't it make sense that eventually culture would sort of start to form around that character out of curiosity, even occasionally worshiping them out of that wonderment? Hey, gods have been worshiped for much, much less.

I was wondering how specifically pegasai control the weather. It's explained how the pegasai create the weather, but not quite how they actually implement it into the atmosphere. Any actual showing of this in show is rough and doesn't give very in-detail depth about the inner workings of weather control.

Yeh, been wondering that too. From what we've seen they just literally shove the clouds & whatnot else into place. They do have a factory that's been shown a few times where they just make everything from rainbows to winds. Though I like to think all of this is just them manipulating it. Like the weather still would do its own thing should all the factories shut down, just this way the pegusai can control where & when it does rain. Think of it like a much wider & controlled form of how humans have their own private weathers in their houses due to heaters/air conditioners.

What did Luna do those 1,000 years on the moon? Was it kinda like being frozen in a block of ice and she couldn't tell time was passing?

Did Celestia and Luna have good friends before they became Alicorn Princesses? And if they did, did the friends just die off with Celestia and Luna being stuck there having to make new friends?

#1: Well, I think the point was she wasn't just put there, she was literally IN the moon. Like the statuefication process Discord got, but instead banished into the rocks of the very celestial object she was supposed to control. So yeah, your second question is likely what the experience was like. This does bring to mind the question of WHY that instead of just another statue, but... well, either that spell wasn't available at the time or since Luna was what was keeping the moon up, wedging her inside it was a even compromise to contain the power inside it to hold it up while simultaneously removing Nightmare Moon from being on Equestria to wreak havoc.

#2: Eeyup. Such is the curse of immortality. Having to continuously move on once you've outlived your loved ones.

Is Discord the incarnation of Chaos, or a powerful being who enjoys chaos?

Eeyup! He's both a being made of Chaos Magic & also a being that casts said Chaos Magic. Think of it like how when we always see wizards who specialize in specific elements or magic schools that we see them typically enrobed or carrying artifacts related to it. A few million years of that & you'll become it too!

Is Pinkie Pie the only pony who knows about us, or does everypony know and prefer not breaking the fourth wall?

That is purely gimmick for the show, I assure you. "Pinkie Pie being Pinkie Pie" is not a valid excuse for that behavior in my opinion. If someone you met in real life was talking to empty space or trying to shake it or constantly referring to things you couldn't grasp, that would be cause for alarm for the local populace & law enforcement.

Oooorrrrr.... if you like my headcannon of things... that Pinkie is actually awaiting ascension into Draconequus-hood much like how Twilight got hers.

Also. Ditzy Doo Too. Derponequus!

@@Fluttershutter,

Well, its purely headcannon territory of course, but I like to think that Celestia & Luna ascended into alicornhood just like Twilight did. Just so far back in history that it was an entirely different world. Say... tail end of Generation One maybe...

As for how things work, well, while most of the wildlife seems to be normal critters & what aint can probably be described as just what happens in a world rife with magic flowing every whichaway.

Will Rarity ever find the Stallion for her?

Can Pinkie Pie breach the 5th wall?

What the hey happened to Applejack's parents?

#1: Hah, not if she doesn't lower her standards a bit more! ...maaaybe a bit further than that. Tis the perpetual quest, is it not?

#2: Yes. Though that might break the fabric of Time & Space!

#3: Well good news on that front! We're getting an episode about that in ... Season 7 I think it was? There's a new thread around here I could link to...

Oh and time. How they measure time, how fast they age, how long they live etc.

Well, Granny Smith has brought up the concept of time measured by "Moons." Though that could just as easily be an old-timey way of saying years/months for her. Think the show's writers are deliberately trying to avoid the same measurement terms in a bid to make the place sound like a different world/dimension.

Though as to age, Granny Smith is nearly almost half as immortal as Celestia is! Maybe because its a kids' show, but pony live a loooong time! Easily past a hundred!

1. How is it that Celestia is 1000 years old and has never seen or heard of a parasprite?

2.Twilight often worries about not having enough time for sceduling, but does she schedule worry time?

3. How long is the train ride from Ponyville to Canterlot? Appaloosa? Crystal Empire?

4. Are crystal ponies and offshoot of earth ponies or a whole separate race?

5. Will we see more bat ponies?

6. Where do changelings come from? Are they mammals or insects?

7. Will they ever show Vinyl and Octavia in the same scene together?

#1: Oh, i'm sure she has! Just at that moment she came in, she had to immediately attend to another town. Could be she was just being coy, intentionally not referring the the plague as it would seem that any town could take the proper precautions to avoid them like most modern towns don't have an issue with locusts. After all, she was flying in & I doubt you could miss the ruins Ponyville was in from that high up.

#2: Yes. Pretty sure we've had in-show jokes about her making time to make lists for making lists.

#3: Ponyville doesn't seem all that far from Canterlot, or Manehattan for that matter. Short enough for them to cut out the travel scenes but not make a fuss about it like they do with Appleloosa or the Frozen North of the Crystal Empire which is WAY THE BUCK UP THERE! So, in order from shortest trip to longest: Canterlot,Manehatten, Appaloosa, Crystal Empire.

#4: Nah, I'm pretty sure "Crystal" Ponies are nothing more then a cosmetic, minor difference. Like how certain oversea nations have a populace of slightly different skin tone. Think they've said its the proximity to the crystals that give them that, even not crystal ponies turned into that crystal look temporarily during that one episode.

#5: I think you mean, will we ever? One guard hardly counts in my book. Though they do show up often in the comics, so they are cannon. Just doubt the writers will bother to make an episode about them for anything other than a halloween episode. Might scare the children, you know!

#6: Eh, considering all the hissing, the long proboscis like tongue, carapaces, shiny compound eyes, yeah, think they're supposed to be mostly insectoid. Oh, and as to where. I have a comic book right behind me that shows the origin of Chrysalis & her swarmbrood. In short, from a cursed acorn tree.

#7: Eeyup! Episode 100, the all-out love letter to the fans & complete chaos of a wedding preperation! They showed Vinyl & Octavia living together in the same house & practicing music together! Considering how divided the house was, I'd say they look alot more like sisters than an item.

• Brohoof 1