Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

First attempt at drawing with a pencil :X

Pencil Sketches

Hey, I have just taken up drawing, I have not ever liked drawing from as long as I can remember but after becoming a brony I think it's the best thing ever :D

Anyway Here is what I have at the moment:

My very first attempt at proper drawing (Fluttershy)

Posted Image

My second attempt which is unfinished, I don't know if I want to start drawing hair (If I make a mistake the only undo button is my rubber and he's creepy (If you get what I mean))

Posted Image

And finally My third drawing this time a male pony (also Unfinished)

Posted Image

I'm not as happy with the body with this attempt, Still, it's all a learning process.

Also, I'm wanting to learn how to draw this stuff on the pc, I see people with drawings that looks as though they should have a job at hasbro. Are there any tutorials you know that can help me create art like they do? There is allot of talk about "vector"? It's got something to do with points but I am lost when it comes to using drawing programs.

Anyway, what do you think? do any of you have any tips you can share for drawing with a pencil?

can you post your art or a link to your art here so I can see it?

• Brohoof 5

CREEPER ERASER/

ok, since I got that out. It's pretty good for a first attempt, you clearly have the basic shape skills down and have some experience in art. I really like the second sketch, but the first fluttershy not so much.Her nose is too long, neck too skinny, eyes are disproportionate. But I'm sure you'll improve over time :)

keep up the good work !! ~

• Brohoof 2

Your avatar and signiture are bringing back memories from an animation I had hoped to forget 0_o

You said it :blink:

and yeah, nice drawings ya got there. I'll agree with Shank on your fluttershy. Nose is a bit.. long :) Wish I could draw on paper as good as you.. for now I'll just stick with my digital art.

• Brohoof 2

CREEPER ERASER!!!!!!!!!

Those are pretty good. I can't draw ponies that face forward, so I salute you.

(I can only draw Celestia and Luna if that makes any sense at all)

• Brohoof 1

You're a pencil pony and it's your first attempt? Hmmm... :P

I'll start with the nice things: the second drawing, or maybe more of a sketch, is really nice, I like the muzzle and eyes, I hope mane and tail will be good, too. When you finish, draw the outlines in a more visible way, I guess you know it but just a reminder :P

For a change, the muzzle in the first drawing isn't too good. I recognized Fluttershy, or maybe more of a wannabe Fluttershy: with this muzzle she looks like a ferret, no offence, it's just my impression. I think you should make it a bit bigger, maybe less sharp? There's just something off about it. But overall the facial expression is well drawn.

The front hooves of the stallion are okay, but I'd make some changes in the back and also its muzzle.

Sorry if I'm too harsh, I just want to tell you which parts are good and which are bad, but generally it's a good drawing for a beginner :)

Edited by Saiko
  • Brohoof 2

Thanks Skar, your digital art looks like the real thing, I'm actually jealous :wub:

thanks toothlessbrony have you got a link to your art? I wanna see :D

You're a pencil pony and it's your first attempt? Hmmm... :P

I'll start with the nice things: the second drawing, or maybe more of a sketch, is really nice, I like the muzzle and eyes, I hope mane and tail will be good, to. When you finish, draw the outlines in a more visible way, I guess you know it but just a reminder :P

For a change, the muzzle in the first drawing isn't too good. I recognized Fluttershy, or maybe more of a wannabe Fluttershy: with this muzzle she looks like a ferret, no offence, it's just my impression. I think you should make it a big bigger, maybe less sharp? There's just something off about it. But overall the facial expression is well drawn.

The front hooves of the stallion are okay, but I'd make some changes in the back and also its muzzle.

Sorry if I'm too harsh, I just want to tell you which parts are good and which are bad, but generally it's a good drawing for a beginner :)

I understand completly, I need the constructive criticisim if I want to get good at this. Thanks for your opinion on this :D

Update!

Ok, I suck at 3/4 view (Just can't get perspectives) And it got me frustrated :angry:

So I went off on an adventure through the internet to look for tutorials and I ended up with this:

Posted Image

It was supposed to be Rainbow Dash but looks a tad like Derpy... Camera angle was wrong when I took the picture, the right eye is smaller than the left, the head is the wrong shape and my creeper rubber is looking round :(

I think it would be best to just lightly sketch then learn how to use "Vectors" on photoshop and do the rest online.

Still I'm interested in what you think of Rainbow Derp?

• Brohoof 1

Update!

Ok, I suck at 3/4 view (Just can't get perspectives) And it got me frustrated :angry:

So I went off on an adventure through the internet to look for tutorials and I ended up with this:

Posted Image

It was supposed to be Rainbow Dash but looks a tad like Derpy... Camera angle was wrong when I took the picture, the right eye is smaller than the left, the head is the wrong shape and my creeper rubber is looking round :(

I think it would be best to just lightly sketch then learn how to use "Vectors" on photoshop and do the rest online.

Still I'm interested in what you think of Rainbow Derp?

Honestly, I have no idea what you're talking about (other than the derpy part, lol =P)

That is amazing :)

Edited by LightningWing
  • Brohoof 1

Ugg, seeing above reminded me how much I hate front perspective and CIRCLES!! Great job for a first attempt, but the topic suggests you have drawn otherwise... is that right?

Nevertheless, none of use started as master artists, we all had to build from the bottom. Really, the worst part is the Artist's Block, other than that it gets easier from where you are.

• Brohoof 1

Update Again!

Hey everyone, I decided that this time I shall draw from a picture instead of a tutorial. I also decided to draw something that isn't a pony, And I thought "Who is one of my favorite characters?" Well it had to be:

Discord

Posted Image

Also What I have just noticed here is that the mouth is a tad off "Le Sigh" (<=== Can you guess what i'm referencing!) It doesn't matter all that much as this is basically a sketch and he's Discord he is the embodyment of chaos, so if you make a mistake when drawing him, Blame it on him! XD

Anyway, I really like discord, as wikipedia says "His outward playful and teasing attitude hides a far more malicious and sadistic aspect of his personality" Reminds me a tad off "Moriarty" from the new "BBC" program "Sherlock" (It's awesome)

I have also noticed that I really should not have called myself "Pencil Pony" Seeing as how I'm new to using pencils. I may change my name soon to something to do with Sketches, I like drawing quick'ish drawings like my discord picture.

I also want to say Thanks to you all for your kind responses and constructive criticism :) You are all Amazing

Also (I make allot of "also's" :/) What does "OC" and "OCC/OOC" mean? I can't for the life of me find the meaning of this... Thanks Again!

Ugg, seeing above reminded me how much I hate front perspective and CIRCLES!! Great job for a first attempt, but the topic suggests you have drawn otherwise... is that right?

Nevertheless, none of use started as master artists, we all had to build from the bottom. Really, the worst part is the Artist's Block, other than that it gets easier from where you are.

Thanks, I only did a bit of drawing with oil pastels back in high school, I actually prefer to 3D Model and animate but have recently not had the enthusiasm to make anything.

Wow! That Discord is very accurate for someone who just brought up pencils for drawing. Funny how a tutorial can do so little but looking at a picture can do so much.

Thankyou :D

I was thinking the same thing, when I was using tutorials from other artists I was trying to make my pictures as close to theirs as I could, this meant I was drawing with their style and obviously I was not very happy with the outcome. Drawing from a picture meant I could draw it my way and therefor I am very happy with the end result :D

Thank you for your inspiring comments :)

Edited by pencil pony

WOW you are still better than me do you have a deviantart? because i would love to favorite these OVER 9000 times

I Shall make an account immediately! B)

Thankyou :wub:

Also, I have changed my name from "Pencil Pony" to "Pencil Sketches" I think it suits me better :D

Another also, I opened my deviant art account: http://pencil-sketches.deviantart.com/

Thanks for reminding me to do this "StickFigurePonies.Tumblr" :D

Edited by Pencil Sketches