S04:E01+02 - Princess Twilight Sparkle

Yellow Diamond

597 users have voted

1. 1. Did you like it?

• No, I hated it.
    • Meh. It was okay.
    • I liked it!
    • I LOVED IT! <3

I can feel the fan-fiction writers squirming in their seats img-387689-1-5e7kmu.png

Its a glorious feeling. HAHAHAHA!!!!

*ahem*

I thought it was a strong premiere. I liked that the rest of the mane six actually had a significant role in the episode, unlike the past two specials (where they were basically cast as side characters in a convoluted side-plot.) I'm glad it wasn't a musical and was plot centered.

So much delicious lore. Discord being a troll as always. Zecora was there, being awesome as always.

Oh yeah and moral of story: Zecora cooks the best drugs in town.

Edited by crazitaco
  • Brohoof 3

That was fantastic!!! All that back story!wub.png  I'll won't go into detail to avoid spoilers, but the part with Nightmare Moon gave me chills.

This is easily my favorite season opener yet. And I might be over thinking this, but the show seems to be getting more serious. (I don't think that's a bad thing).

• Brohoof 1

Also, did anypony else notice the exceptional animation, and I can't believe I am saying this; SHADING! When the main cast stood by the stain glass windows, there was actual shading.

Yup, those highlights when they were standing beside the stained glass window immediately caught my attention, god they looked so good. Not sure that they'll use that effect in all the episodes though, probably just the important one's.

I don't know if it's already been said but in the theme, when Twilight gets down the balloon, she doesn't have her wings. Do you think it was laziness or has it been done on purpose, like it had a real meaning ?

But the rest of both episodes was awesome. Best episode for me too !!!

Edited by Theo

I wonder if they placed Nightmare Moon at the end of episode 1 to see how many people would freak out thinking she was back?

Also Discord can be seen inside Fluttershy's house in the intro.

Well, they got me cause I started to go bezerk.. I mean, I think the part I freaked out the most was when Celestia vanished NM. I was like 'HOLY SHIT, NO MORE LUNA!'.

So happy it was just a flashback.

Edited by Calirolls

My thoughts so far: These are the first two episodes that don't fall under the original story arc set in place by Lauren Faust. While they may have deviated from that path somewhat, they had to carry it more or less to the conclusion we saw in MMC. Now Meghan can truly take FiM in a brand new direction and I've been waiting to see what she'd do with it.

It's too soon to print a lengthy review, so I'll just mention several points worth noting:

-Yay, a new photograph in the opening credits. It's about time!

-I suppose Twilight's flyby at the end of MMC was just a lucky swoosh. Nice to see the flying lessons. wub.png

-Twilight still considers herself a humble Ponyville librarian, just like we knew she would. smile.png

-Eeyup and Nope from Big Mac trying to bite the weeds! tongue.png

-Apple Bloom and Sweetie Belle but no Scootaloo? sad.png

-I like the way they played on predictions that Princess Luna might turn heel again. At first I didn't know it was a vision of the past Twilight was watching.

-Princess Celestia used the Elements of Harmony as an individual against Nightmare Moon? Don't you need at least two ponies for "harmony" to exist and to use that power? My head canon of Luna briefly taking control of Nightmare Moon and telling Celestia to help her use the elements against herself has been shattered. tongue.png

-Sending Twilight back because she's next in succession seemed foolish from the start. Why did none of them think they they had to stick together regardless because they'd probably need to use the elements?

-It showed, as I expected, that Twilight stil needs her friends' help despite being a "mighty" alicorn now.

-But if Twilight wasn't a new alicorn preoccupied with trying to fly, she would've used her magic to get out of those jams. Most of them anyway. wink.png

-Applejack really took care of business today! 

-I was expecting a twist at the end, but I thought maybe for once they'd blast an enemy with the elements and it wouldn't work this time. But I guess having to sacrifice the gems to stop those weeds qualifies as a twist too.

-The gems may be back with the Tree of Harmony, but surely the Mane 6 will continue to possess their extraoridinary talents. That also means their affinity to the Elements continues to exist and they'll somehow be able to call forth their power again should it be needed. Right? huh.png  The mystery lock we see may play a role in that.

-While I favor a plot centered story over a musical, I expected at least one song. sad.png

That's all I have for now. If I can think of anything else, I'll let ya know. smile.png

Edited by Wingnut
  • Brohoof 6

I don't know if it's already been said but in the theme, when Twilight gets down the balloon, she doesn't have her wings. Do you think it was laziness or has it been done on purpose, like it had a real meaning ?

But the rest of both episodes was awesome. Best episode for me too !!!

I'm willing to bet it has a real meaning, because I think the blimp represents when she first arrives in Ponyville? And after all the Mane 6 sings she has her wings, so It's probably just some progression.

• Brohoof 1

Studio Ghibli and Hayao Miyazaki would be proud, as the story has so much magic and mystery it was amazing to see the animation and story telling, furthermore like a Studio Ghibli film there was an abstract villain: the Everfree Forest or rather seeds that Discord had planted to absorb the magic from the Tree of Harmony before his defeat at the hooves of Celestia and Luna, from wince the Elements of Harmony originated, and to see what critical role the elements have played in Equestrian history. There was also Stephen King's style in the episode too, as the story was told partially in flashback and provided back story and exposition, only with an incredible pay off, and an auspicious scenario as the Element of Harmony are surrendered back to the tree, with a box with six keyholes sprouting from it, so now there is set up for the season and an new episode, possibly the season finale as we will see what this box has inside and what it could mean for Princess Twilight Sparkle and the mane six and Equestria. I love this première, to me the animation was come a long way and looked fantastic, in addition the story telling was worth the wait, so much was revealed to us and with an mysterious call back we can expect season four to be amazing, and I want so much to see the season unfold and our main characters and side characters to leave an impression, so season four is off to a great start and I hope other bronies can take what they like from this episode and make a reasonable emotion.  

Edited by King Edward

Wait I just remembered the really short part when twilight turned Zakora's potion from purple to white. There was a little bit of dark magic being mixed in with hers. Very interesting. 

Yes I'm glad they brought Dark Magic back into the mix. After seemingly being tossed away. Now we only need a consequence from seeing it being used. Nightmares? Being corrupted........something!!!

I like how they handled Twilight's status, combined with her own attitude about it. We have seen her vulnerable, and the bond between her and her friends is as important as ever. Them however being without the elements puts them in a weakened state (Discord can now do anything he wishes if he so desired), and no longer will they be able to just try and fire that thing away at any villain to get rid of them. That does however lead to more interesting fights, being forced to use other methods. What that chest was at the end... Maybe another set of elements? Who knows.

I was kind of suprised by Twi's sudden use of dark magic, again. It was a bit... Foreboding.

That and i also was suprisingly amazed at how similiar Twilight felt to the older seasons, she may have wings, but at times i had the feeling i was just overlooking them (safe for the flying scenes, naturally). If they continue this way i will have no issues it whatsoever.

A lot happened, even though there were a lot of action packed flashbacks it went great with how the season opener ended, they maybe could have done with less, but overall i think the pacing and everything together made for an enjoyable ride. And now, 24 more to look forward to! biggrin.png

• Brohoof 2

Hm... That episode explains why Sombra became corrupted.

Basically Sombra is an unicorn. According to the "flashback milk" potion, you need alicorn magic to activate it. Twilight activated it with the dark magic that was introduced in the Crystal Empire episode. Therefore, dark magic = alicorn magic. Since Sombra tried to use the alicorn magic while being an unicorn, he lost control of it and became corrupted. That's how he became Sombra.

Well, that's my guess at least. But why alicorn magic mean something "bad" and why doesn't Luna or Celestia use it to raise the sun and the moon if they're the only alicorns (excluding Twilight) in Equestria?

Ahhhhhh! I accidently set it to delete recorded episode when a new episode aired, so when it started recording part 2 it deleted part 1.

Facedesk.jpg

That sucks. :c I had that happen to me before (During the S2 premiere) Ever since I've learned to record them manually.

A very good opener. I was on the edge of my seat for most of it, especially during the first flashback with Luna. Also, his episode also left me wanting more.

I wonder what's in the mystery box (maybe it's a cookie)