Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Adjustment to Alicorn Magic

earn

If you have seen season 4 ep 1-2, you have seen how Zecora needed twilight to do alicorn magic to do someyhing with the potion given to her.  How does Twilight happen to know the spell for the potion, is it just raw magic form an alicorn?  How did twilight have enough time to study her magic for an alicorn? Don't worry, I am not a hater, just a confused fan.

• Brohoof 2

How did twilight have enough time to study her magic for an alicorn?

Simple, it was during the wait between the end of season 3 and the premier of season 4 while they were working on season 4. 

Lol I have never had a such a long anticipating wait for a season to come out.  :P 

• Brohoof 1

During the wait between the Season 3 finale and the beginning of Season 4, it gave Twilight enough time to study more magic and learn more on the Alicorn magic that alicorns possess and what their abilities do.

• Brohoof 2

During the wait between the Season 3 finale and the beginning of Season 4, it gave Twilight enough time to study more magic and learn more on the Alicorn magic that alicorns possess and what their abilities do.

lol I thought the same thing! XD

The creators took so much time that Twilight probably had enough time to save Equestria 3x over! 

• Brohoof 1

The alicorn magic is cool to try and understand, but I just don't get why it's similar to Sombra's magic from the Crystal Empire episode, can anyone explain that or am I just not thinking clearly?

Ikr? I expected Twi's magic to be the same as her old magic, but what we got was basically dark magic. Either alicorns are capable of wielding dark magic, or they are dark creatures, or it was a mistake by the animators. Either way, this has me worried for Twilight. What if my theory on dark magic overpowering Twilight comes true?

Simple, it was during the wait between the end of season 3 and the premier of season 4 while they were working on season 4. 

Lol I have never had a such a long anticipating wait for a season to come out.  :P 

Wouldn't that also given her plenty of time to learn how to fly?

The way I view this question is kinda like why do platforms float in platformers. Because Cartoons.

Why can twilight suddenly use alicorn magic? Because Ponies.

That's about it...

The way I view this question is kinda like why do platforms float in platformers. Because Cartoons.

That's about it...

Learning how to fly isn't easy to begin with. She only got the wings in the Season 3 finale, and she tried to get used to flying in the first two Season 4 episodes. The writers are trying to confuse us by having Twilight have trouble flying in one episode, and perfectly able to fly in the next.

The alicorn magic is cool to try and understand, but I just don't get why it's similar to Sombra's magic from the Crystal Empire episode, can anyone explain that or am I just not thinking clearly?

I would just blame this on the animators wanting to set the magic apart from normal magic, and the dark magic effects being already loaded into the computer, and easily accessible for a person that doesn't want to take too much time doing something completely new. If there were an actual story behind it, I would say then it wasn't "Dark Magic" to begin with...it was always alicorn magic. It just got termed that due to sombra's usage of it.

Maybe....idk. I'll just go with my first answer until canon proves otherwise.

That's about it...

lolz At this point I have found so many holes in that Iv kinda just stopped questioning the logic of the show.   ^_^

Learning how to fly isn't easy to begin with. She only got the wings in the Season 3 finale, and she tried to get used to flying in the first two Season 4 episodes. The writers are trying to confuse us by having Twilight have trouble flying in one episode, and perfectly able to fly in the next.

I would think Alicorn magic would be a lot more difficult than unicorn magic. An age spell is only for the highest level unicorns, but for unicorns, nonetheless. Twilight can't even do that. If alicorn magic is truly more difficult than unicorn magic, than it would be more difficult than an age spell, which would make it waaaaay beyond the difficulty of flying, which even a baby can do (the cakes pagsi baby)

Now I'm digging way deeper than the writers ever intended to be done, so I'll just leave it at that. I guess I'll even throw my own argument above out the window when I say this, but here's the bottom line IMO: but it's a cartoon...things don't need to make sense.

I would think Alicorn magic would be a lot more difficult than unicorn magic. An age spell is only for the highest level unicorns, but for unicorns, nonetheless. Twilight can't even do that. If alicorn magic is truly more difficult than unicorn magic, than it would be more difficult than an age spell, which would make it waaaaay beyond the difficulty of flying, which even a baby can do (the cakes pagsi baby)

Now I'm digging way deeper than the writers ever intended to be done, so I'll just leave it at that. I guess I'll even throw my own argument above out the window when I say this, but here's the bottom line IMO: but it's a cartoon...things don't need to make sense.

I know that cartoons don't need to make sense, since logic doesn't exist in cartoons. Alicorn magic is more difficult than unicorn magic, because it takes skill and a lot of knowledge to be able to pull it off.

What I find the most interesting is how ''alicorn magic'' is what you possibly would consider being dark magic. Pay attention to the colour animations on her horn when she preforms alicorn magic, its the same animation king Sombra has for his magic and Twilight even uses that kind of magic in the crystal empire episode to open the door. 

So was king Sombra an alicorn? possibly since he wears a cape that would kinda sorta hide his wings.

One might just say ''plot hole''

However Alicorn magic just seems to be maybe some sort of advanced magic that anyone can learn and it isnt specific to the alicorn race, atleast thats what i get from the show.

More interesting theory? If alicorn magic was specific to only alicorns (whitch it probably isnt) Its for the reason that alicorn magic is designed to maybe be a bit more dark and makes alicorns the most powerfull beings (thats why alicorn is the highest rank in society.) To make sure that alicorns has something extra special incase anyone would want to challenge their leadership, they can easily just cast an alicorn spell that is much more supperior, cruel and ''effective'' 

Then again this theory is kinda pointless since Twilight and maybe Sombra who arent alicorns used alicorn magic.

Celestia and Luna are never seen using alicorn magic except for when Celestia shows what will happen if Sombra takes over the Crystal empire and casts that spell that turns a crystal dark.

Alicorn magic might have been magic made for opression and remaining in control. PAST alicorn royalty using alicorn magic to maintain order and control, making sure they were in power? Dark Equestrian history?!?!?!?

*head catches fire*

Edited by SveciaDash

If you have seen season 4 ep 1-2, you have seen how Zecora needed twilight to do alicorn magic to do someyhing with the potion given to her.  How does Twilight happen to know the spell for the potion, is it just raw magic form an alicorn?  How did twilight have enough time to study her magic for an alicorn? Don't worry, I am not a hater, just a confused fan.

Twilight literally lives inside her own personal library. She probably knows everything.

How does Twilight happen to know the spell for the potion, is it just raw magic form an alicorn?  How did twilight have enough time to study her magic for an alicorn?

She study Magic a lot. And since Princess Luna gave her the Starswirl the Bearded memoirs, she could learn some Dark Magic already. We can actually see that book appearing again at her desk in the Season 4 opening ("Princess Twilight Sparkle", part 1, around 07:30) here:

img-2086371-1-Twi_Starswirl_Book.jpg

I already sort of answered that question quite thoroughly in this post (and a lot about different kinds of Magic and their inter-relationships).

An age spell is only for the highest level unicorns, but for unicorns, nonetheless. Twilight can't even do that.

Are you sure? ;> It was the first powerful spell she cast during her uncontrolled surge of Magic in "Cutie Mark Chronicles" episode, in the scene of the entrance exam to the Magical School for Talented Unicorns, when she not only hatched Spike, but aged him a whole lot of years, making him a huge old badass dragon ;)

img-2086371-2-Twi_Age_Spell_S1E23.jpg

That's what brought Princess Celestia's attention to her in the first place and convinced her to made her her (herr herr :P) protégé. We can only allege her that she didn't cast it in a controllable manner yet, but it clearly shows that she has a potential for casting such powerful spells, and she may learn to use it in a controlled way someday.

I have a big problem with her flying. In one moment she can fly like a boss, in another she cannot take off from the ground at all. She learned how to walk on two legs in "Equestria Girls" in a glimpse, but apparently flying is much harder thing, contradicting what she said at the end of "Equestria Girls" (that if she could learn to walk and use hands, then wings wouldn't make any problem to her either). Butttt, she flies like a boss at the end of Season 3. Looks like we need Pinkie Pie to explain it to us...  :P

Edit: Unless she was thrown by Shining Armor in that scene  :derp:

tumblr_mdacxcZIfh1rzrqw9o1_500.gif

Edited by SasQ

I never accused twilight of never being able to perform the age spell, just as far as we know, she currently can't of her own will.

However, you made me think of a point I've never thought of before. It doesn't really relate to the current topic, but the adult spike shown in that episode looks a lot different than the one in "Secret of my Excess"....