technology Any Linux users?

CMQuickfireTK

Could think of a bunch of items that Linux has that Windows doesn't already,

• Performance (Runs smoothly even on old machines)
  • Security
  • A collaborative enterprise (Anyone can develop Linux sending patches, compiling a kernel or whatever, something you can't do on Windows by default, even though Microsoft's Windows 8.1 opensource release you probably might not be able to send them patches or features, not sure about that correct me if I'm wrong.) 

I didn't say that Windows has everything Linux has, just that there are still a lot of features in Windows that are mandatory for many tasks. Sorry for the miscommunication.

I didn't say that Windows has everything Linux has, just that there are still a lot of features in Windows that are mandatory for many tasks. Sorry for the miscommunication.

Aside from video processing and some reeeeally niche things - it has everyhting 

Also, it's much more customizable

,#   <- click the tip of the banana to add me on steam!
               \ `-._____,-'=/
            ____`._ ----- _,'_____ My sig seem to be too good for Poniverse, so here's a banana
                   `-----'

Aside from video processing and some reeeeally niche things - it has everyhting 

Also, it's much more customizable

I wouldn't call having easier support for 90% of games is "niche". I mean yes, you can get a lot working on Linux, but in terms of a non-technical user, it's not friendly. I'm not arguing which is better, just that Windows has a lot of things that basic users want.

I wouldn't call having easier support for 90% of games is "niche". I mean yes, you can get a lot working on Linux, but in terms of a non-technical user, it's not friendly. I'm not arguing which is better, just that Windows has a lot of things that basic users want.

No one bitches about consoles not having all the games :) 

Linux does has games, it's own games that mostly work perfectly. 

Non-technicals shouldnt be really called users.. some term like "guests" would be more appropriate.  :squee:

\ `-._____,-'=/
            ____`._ ----- _,'_____ My sig seem to be too good for Poniverse, so here's a banana
                   `-----'

No one bitches about consoles not having all the games :)

Linux does has games, it's own games that mostly work perfectly. 

Non-technicals shouldnt be really called users.. some term like "guests" would be more appropriate.  :squee:

And this is how you get people not to want to try it: by acting elitist.

I'm a pretty technical person, but when I am doing video editing on Adobe Premiere, I want it to work out of the box without having to modify a bunch of crap and do a bunch of command prompt actions to get it working in some half ass compatibility mode. I am a busy person and just because I "can" do something doesn't mean I want to. Why would I choose to run Premiere CS5.5 the hard way when I can run it the easy way? Unless I am just trying to show off to myself, it's pointless.

I also like when I start up games that are pretty well known such as Call of Duty I don't want to have to run it in Wine with a lot of things needing to be checked or unchecked in an emulator that will not play it in the full settings that Windows plays it in. I like being able to install a game and play it 99% of the time versus spending hours trying to find tutorials on how to get a game working.

I love computers and I have been working with them for years, and I love me some Linux, but just because I love Linux that doesn't mean I think Linux is the master race. It's powerful, but it's unharnessed power. It's not really "ready" for commercial use at this point yet.

And this is how you get people not to want to try it: by acting elitist.

I'm a pretty technical person, but when I am doing video editing on Adobe Premiere, I want it to work out of the box without having to modify a bunch of crap and do a bunch of command prompt actions to get it working in some half ass compatibility mode. I am a busy person and just because I "can" do something doesn't mean I want to. Why would I choose to run Premiere CS5.5 the hard way when I can run it the easy way? Unless I am just trying to show off to myself, it's pointless.

I also like when I start up games that are pretty well known such as Call of Duty I don't want to have to run it in Wine with a lot of things needing to be checked or unchecked in an emulator that will not play it in the full settings that Windows plays it in. I like being able to install a game and play it 99% of the time versus spending hours trying to find tutorials on how to get a game working.

I love computers and I have been working with them for years, and I love me some Linux, but just because I love Linux that doesn't mean I think Linux is the master race. It's powerful, but it's unharnessed power. It's not really "ready" for commercial use at this point yet.

Actually, I think it's the best thing ever. It attracts people who are passionate enough to punch through the walls of "the club" and bring some of their own creations. That's not right from future perspective of course, but from my personal one - it's totally great. 

Games? Well, I am more than happy with indie titles and Dota. If only my gamepad had appropriate drivers.. 

Calls, Fields and other Effects and Raiders can go stick it up their overbloated budgets.

Of course, that is just me, but hey, even this is gonna change rapidly, thanks to Valve. 

And desktop linux is not a commercial thing. It should not be.

\ `-._____,-'=/
                   `-----'

It's not really "ready" for commercial use at this point yet.

I somewhat agree and disagree, because at this moment Linux is dominating a lot of our gadgets already, a big example are mobile phones and tablets that use Android, smart TVs Super computers and web infrastructure (take Amazon and Facebook for example) . Linux is ready for the commercial market in some cases. What Linux really needs is for the commercial community to understand what is going on, and to embrace it where it will be useful. This will increase the volume numbers even more, which will attract more applications.

11jpz14.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I love linux, recently got back into it. 

I have a single boot install of mint 16 x32 on my old macbook, which also runs as a samba server. I have it connected to an external monitor and use it as a makeshift desktop computer. 

I also have arch installed on a virtual machine, and have been playing with it a lot, and also plan on installing arch for the OS of the computer I'm currently building.

Edited by EndtheRaven

trixforum.png

Fedora user (formerly used ubuntu). I love fedora for it's overall great user experience is regards to quick navigation, at least to me, to get to programs. I had used ubuntu previously, don't get me wrong it's a great operating system but the new unity interface just doesn't work for me, it gets hard to maneuver. Gnome 3 has an UI that is similar to Mac OSX, which is an interface I particurally like. 

I also run Windows 8 (which is a good OS too) in case you're wondering.

I've heard some things about Lunix, but never dived into it :P

lets_change_a_username_by_sonicwithsabers-d76l7td.gif

Signature made by: Rainbow Skywalker

My little YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/GeekySteven (Game (Mostly) and Pony Reviews) (Yes, I'm actually active)

My Johari Window thingymabob :http://kevan.org/johari?name=StevenEarthPony

ASK ME A QUESTION OR TWO!:http://mlpforums.com/topic/85648-ask-steven-anything-you-want-he-loves-answering-your-questions/#entry2228380

I've heard some things about Lunix, but never dived into it :P

Not really missing anything. Linux nerds will swear up and down it is amazing, and why it is better then Windows, blah blah blah. Linux is only useful as a server, or basic OS for businesses. Unless you use nothing but a web browser, linux is no good for home use.

Also OpenGL only gets you so far in the graphics department, the software support is atrocious, not easy to use (even with Ubuntu, The most bloated version of linux there is.)

I only use it on my Chromebook since it is the only thing I can install on it because how hostile the BIOs is against anything other than linux being installed on it.

Not really missing anything. Linux nerds will swear up and down it is amazing, and why it is better then Windows, blah blah blah. Linux is only useful as a server, or basic OS for businesses. Unless you use nothing but a web browser, linux is no good for home use.

Also OpenGL only gets you so far in the graphics department, the software support is atrocious, not easy to use (even with Ubuntu, The most bloated version of linux there is.)

I only use it on my Chromebook since it is the only thing I can install on it because how hostile the BIOs is against anything other than linux being installed on it.

Sounds a bit like hate. Didn't ponies teach you anything? 

Yes, I am a "Linux nerd". And I would not trade command-line interfaces and easy scripting for any of the gesture- GUI- touch- jiggery-pokery and "ease-of-use" that is only so until you know something about systems. CLI commands will always be the fastest input method for a large chunk of tasks until we'll get mind-reading HIDs. 

It's not "intuitive" but it is efficient. If you just want to sit down and use it not putting any effort into it - it's not the best for you. 

If you can dive in, climb up the (pretty steep)learning curve and enjoy customization and automatization of mundane tasks and beauty of system design - by Celestia's beard, get it.

• Brohoof 1

\ `-._____,-'=/
                   `-----'

Considering OpenGL is supported and used on more platforms than Direct3D (Windows, Xbox consoles only vs Win,Mac,Linux,iOS,Android) i would argue it is worth while learning.

Saying Linux is no good for home use is sidestepping it's use in Android, many Wifi Routers, Set Top Boxes's, and other devices.

I love Linux! I run Mint on my laptop, and I'm very happy with it. It has a decent start up time and runs pretty smoothly. (Unlike any Windows PC I've ever used...sorry   :okiedokielokie: )

This was made possible by Sir Lunashy. img-1701756-4-a18x3XT.png

The day there is just as much support for Linux as Windows, sure I will jump ship.

But I don't see the point now, because why should I use an OS with an inferior selection of software? That is also why I don't use a Mac, but I would still use a Mac if it had more software support that Windows, but it doesn't.

The day there is just as much support for Linux as Windows, sure I will jump ship.

But I don't see the point now, because why should I use an OS with an inferior selection of software? That is also why I don't use a Mac, but I would still use a Mac if it had more software support that Windows, but it doesn't.

I use it because it's more secure, way more efficient with my resources (because the GUI I use isn't a bloated mess), has the software I need and it's largely under my control.

You're right, there really isn't that much software support unless you look in the right areas. There are some fantastic places for documentation in how to use a certain piece of software, one of my favourite being the arch wiki. While there is a lot of stuff talking about the distribution on the front page, a ton of the content itself is platform agnostic. I even used it when I went to Mint for a while. The gentoo wiki is also pretty darn good as well.

It's also a fair criticism on platform support. I'm using visual studio 2012 in my software engineering program and I commonly switch between my operating systems to perform different tasks. I might train myself to use eclipse in the summer and learn a different tool, but use what you have to.

Edited by Celtore

I use it because it's more secure, way more efficient with my resources (because the GUI I use isn't a bloated mess), has the software I need and it's largely under my control.

You're right, there really isn't that much software support unless you look in the right areas. There are some fantastic places for documentation in how to use a certain piece of software, one of my favourite being the arch wiki. While there is a lot of stuff talking about the distribution on the front page, a ton of the content itself is platform agnostic. I even used it when I went to Mint for a while. The gentoo wiki is also pretty darn good as well.

It's also a fair criticism on platform support. I'm using visual studio 2012 in my software engineering program and I commonly switch between my operating systems to perform different tasks. I might train myself to use eclipse in the summer and learn a different tool, but use what you have to.

Don't give me the bloated excuse when Ubuntu to me feels just as bloated as Windows. Sure others distros are not, but they are stripped down to there basic necessities.

Resources are not a problem in this day and age, even 16GBs is overkill even for Windows, and doesn't cost that much.

I installed Ubuntu on a computer with less than a Gig of RAM, and a Pentium D, it was atrocious in performance.

i have been experimenting recently experimenting with gaming on linux and here is the result

img-2263135-1-TEjHDDs.jpg

Let me guess. Wine?

Edited by TorqueEffect

Resources are not a problem in this day and age, even 16GBs is overkill even for Windows, and doesn't cost that much. Don't give me the bloated excuse when Ubuntu to me feels just as bloated as Windows. Sure others distros are not, but they are stripped down to there basic necessities.  Ever run an old version of Windows on a old computer? Runs good, because there is not as much features in it. I tried installed Ubuntu on a computer with less than a Gig of RAM, and a Pentium D, it was atrocious in performance.

And that is exactly why I don't use Ubuntu, it is a bloated mess! Unity is arguably the worst interface out there right now in terms of hardware efficiency and personally, I don't really like it as a GUI.

While bloat isn't as big of an issue as it used to be, I still really care about efficiency. That's why I chose my distribution, I installed all the packages myself and essentially customized my desktop experience for myself. It has only what I want on it and nothing more, I know of every service that's running and it uses less than 100 MBs on idle. I'm not using all terminal stuff either, a lot of the things I've pieced together do have GUI front ends.

That kind of environment is not only efficient, but fast. You can run modern applications on it and push out some pretty fantastic performance. Plus, older versions of windows aren't supported at all. XP is the last one that I consider lightweight and it's all but dead.

Of course regular people won't go to this extent, but it is still possible regardless with a little documentation.

Edited by Celtore
  • Brohoof 1

Which is just a GUI for Wine.

It extends wine, adds some features and makes it more easy to use.

but I have to admit Linux have its pros and cons

Edited by Gekoncze