Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Power Ponies Superhero References

Captain Brony (MG11)

I'll point out as many as I can but if I possibly missed one go ahead and comment.

WIth a good knowledge of DC and Marvel it wasnt hard to find some things since the episode made most of them obvious. (Considering this episode's complete lack of subtlety)

Let's go!

Starting off with:

-Antagonist named Mane-iac = The Superman villain Brainiac.

-Mane-iac's stretching hair power = Power Puff Girl's Sedusa. (Woah, a non-comic book reference?)

-Mane-iac's origin story = The Joker's origins story from the DC comic: "The Killing Joke."

-The City Maretropolis = DC's Metropolis. (The city Superman lives in)

-Rarity/Radiance's power (Making anything she can think of in the form of energy projection) = Reference to DC's Green Lantern and possibly Star Sapphire.

-Pinkie Pie/Fili-Second's outfit/superspeed = DC's The Flash and/or Marvel's

Quicksilver.

-Rainbow Dash/Zapp's power to call weather using the lightning bolt pendant = Marvel's Thor.

-Rainbow Dash/Zapp's Lightning bolt pendant Asthetic = DC's Shazam!/Captain Marvel/Captain Thunder.

-Fluttershy/Saddle Ranger's transforming/super strength powers = Obviously Marvel's Bruce Banner/Hulk.

-Applejack/Mistress Mare-velous' name and asthetic = Marvel's Ms. Marvel.

-Applejack/Mistress Mare-velous' rope = The Lasso of Truth as used by DC's Wonder Woman.

-Twilight/Masked Matter-Horn's laser powers = Various Marvel/DC magic users (ex. Doctor Strange, Jennifer Kale, Zataro, Dr. Fate)

-Spike/Humdrum = The original/older version DC's Robin (Or any other useless side-kick for that matter)

Edited by Captain Brony (MG11)
  • Brohoof 1

The only things I would add is that the Mane-iac's origin story is just like the Joker's. Also, Applejack was a cross between Batman and Wonder Woman, Twilight was based off of Cyclops, and Spike is based off the Burt Ward Robin from the 60s Batman series.

Mane-iac also had some Joker and the Creeper in her as well

Rainbow Dash had some Storm as well specially whit the glowing eyes when gathering the clouds

AJ had some of batmas batarans as well IMO

Also i like to strech it a bit but can be also She-ra telepating laso as well xD

The only things I would add is that the Mane-iac's origin story is just like the Joker's. Also, Applejack was a cross between Batman and Wonder Woman, Twilight was based off of Cyclops, and Spike is based off the Burt Ward Robin from the 60s Batman series.

Dagh! I knew that about the Joker thing but forgot to add it! DX

Also: Cyclops doesn't shoot ice-beams or fly, older Wonder Woman throws discs too (However rarely since the newer material) but sure, and I vaguely said that about Robin.

Mane-iac also had some Joker and the Creeper in her as well

Rainbow Dash had some Storm as well specially whit the glowing eyes when gathering the clouds.

O_O Ooh almost forgot about Creeper

Would have said this if only she didn't use her pendant to summon it Thor-style. (and Im sure she didnt have glowing white eyes in the episode)

Edited by Captain Brony (MG11)

Also: Cyclops doesn't shoot ice-beams or fly, older Wonder Woman throws discs too (However rarely since the newer material) but sure, and I vaguely said that about Robin.

Jim Miller said, on his twitter, that Cyclops was an inspiration for Twilight. Also, Wonder Woman did throw her tiara in the old days.

Last time I checked Dick Grayson, Jason Todd, Tim Drake, and Damian Wayne weren't useless. :D

Hence why I said "original/older" Robin. Time period-wise.

The modern Robins are all cool and useful.

Actually, it appears to be based more on Dr. Octopus.

I figured Sedusa because her power is wild hair control which is the exact power Mane-iac has.

(Possibly to call back to PPG since it was a Faust show.)