Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Annoyed at "Love and Tolerate"?

Static Electricity

48 users have voted

1. 1. Do you support "Love and tolerate"?

• Yes
    • No

The prejudice is stupid and needs to call out, but to toss around the No True Scottsman fallacy is lunacy and kills your whole opinion. Bronies are bronies for one reason and one reason only: They're fans of FIM. You, me, them, and just about everyone else here who posted in this thread is a brony because we like like some part of the official product. No one's obligated to follow an unwritten "brony code" or morals from the show, including "love and tolerance."

I joined the brony community because I loved its Love And Tolerance ideal. Does that mean I'm not a true Scotsman brony by your definition?

Edited by Night Shine

It's kind of our war cry since the Great Equestrian Chan War, so yes I support it. Though, I do support 'Mods are asleep, post ponies' more.

• Brohoof 1

@, No, and you misread me. Being a brony is about being a fan of FIM only. No one is obligated to follow love and tolerance, but they can if they want. No one should be forced to follow that option. It's just when I see something like, "Are they watching the same show as me/you/whoever," it implies they're not (or lesser) fans of the product, and that gets me annoyed.

• Brohoof 1

@, No, and you misread me. Being a brony is about being a fan of FIM only. No one is obligated to follow love and tolerance, but they can if they want. No one should be forced to follow that option. It's just when I see something like, "Are they watching the same show as me/you/whoever," it implies they're not (or lesser) fans of the product, and that gets me annoyed.

Alright, I apologize for misunderstanding. I actually agree with every part of what you just said, so.....~yay~

• Brohoof 1

It's just when I see something like, "Are they watching the same show as me/you/whoever," it implies they're not (or lesser) fans of the product, and that gets me annoyed.

No, no.

My point was not to say they aren't real fans. My point was to go, "Hey, you're obviously fans of the show, but has any of this show's message sunk in for you at all?" I'm not questioning their fandom, I'm questioning their behavior in the fandom, and using the positive messages of the series to illustrate a stark contrast between their actions and the material they're fans of.

• Brohoof 1

Love and Tolerate are strong virtues that have brought this fandom together in ways no other fanbase ever had.

What other fanbase do you know that has helped people unlearn the arbitrary concept that things like sensitivity, kindness, and compassion are stirctly 'feminine' things?

How many other fanbases do you know that ran charity auctions in conventions to good causes?

And have you seen many other fandoms with fans that go out of their way to help people find acceptance and compassion? especially when they need it most?

there's a reason this fanbase is still going strong even today, 'Love and Tolerate' is something that I think can never be taken away them, and there's really no reason to want to do so.

• Brohoof 2

@@Dr. Mechano, And no one's obligated to follow the messages from the show. Bronies exists for multiple reasons, from getting a solid first impression from the intelligently designed graphics to watching a well-written episode. Another reason plenty stick around is simply because they like the show and rather see it retain its high quality, morals be damned. I'm here because I like a quality product and want to see it continue. I, personally, am more interested in how the morals work in an objective quality context within the episodes themselves (i.e., if it's not hypocritical, in character, organic instead of contrived, shown rather than told, and well-written), including how they impact the characters in their environments, and don't extensively care about using them myself so much.

If they'll absorb the messages, both in canon and fanon (from the explained morals in nearly each episode to "love and tolerance"), they'll do so on their own terms… If they want to.

Edited by Dark Qiviut

If they'll absorb the messages, both in canon and fanon (from the explained morals in nearly each episode to "love and tolerance"), they'll do so on their own terms… If they want to.

Certainly. And never once have I advocated forcing someone to be tolerant of anything; And I don't advocate that because it's not possible to force someone to be tolerant of anything. People are beings of free will, and I obviously realize that. I can, however, vocally advocate tolerance in the community because I like to think of said community as a safe space in which all kinds of fans are welcome. I call out bad behavior when I see it because I want to, on my own terms, as well.

Remember that calling out troubling trends in the fandom isn't violating anyone's rights. It's saying "that's a problem, here's why, and you should stop," but it never takes anyone by the hand and makes them stop. It's dissent, and I feel that if certain segments of the fandom can wear their prejudices like a badge, then I (as well as a number of other fans) can and should speak out against those prejudices just as freely. Otherwise, those prejudices become the "face of the fandom" by virtue of going unchallenged, which among other things repels people from the community.

Edited by Dr. Mechano
  • Brohoof 1

I call out bad behavior when I see it because I want to, on my own terms, as well.

Remember that calling out troubling trends in the fandom isn't violating anyone's rights. It's saying "that's a problem, here's why, and you should stop," but it never takes anyone by the hand and makes them stop.

And I don't disagree with that one bit. If you see stupidity, prejudice, and bigotry in and out of fandom, then call it out, and I fully support it being called out. Hell, I have a history of calling this stuff out. A call for (love and) tolerance (to a point) is something people should advocate.

Just don't be disappointed if they decide to not "love and tolerate" or preach the morals, even if they agree with your line of thinking.

Edited by Dark Qiviut
  • Brohoof 2

Love and Tolerate are strong virtues that have brought this fandom together in ways no other fanbase ever had.What other fanbase do you know that has helped people unlearn the arbitrary concept that things like sensitivity, kindness, and compassion are stirctly 'feminine' things?How many other fanbases do you know that ran charity auctions in conventions to good causes?And have you seen many other fandoms with fans that go out of their way to help people find acceptance and compassion? especially when they need it most?there's a reason this fanbase is still going strong even today, 'Love and Tolerate' is something that I think can never be taken away them, and there's really no reason to want to do so.

People like you remind me why I love the Brony community. /)

• Brohoof 1