Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

open Dexter Brandswise's college for the exceptionally talented. The RP

Scribblegroove

OOC: http://mlpforums.com/topic/85535-come-join-dexter-brandswises-college-for-the-exceptionally-talented/

@,@, @@Torrent505, @@MrRiderman, @@Delernil, @, @.

The wind was breezing on Dexters face. The face had a smile on it. Today was always a wonderful day! Or was it? It was a day of both happiness and sadness. He was slowly walking down Manehattans main street, with his friend Blue Note, an old pal of him that he'd spent a load of time with already. Blue Note was grumpy and absentminded as always, pondering about things such as the meaning of art and music, emotions and feelings, life and death... Who knows. Blue Note was always philosophical and pessimistic, which annoyed Dexter sometimes, since he was usually very positive and to the point. Even though they were opposites, they both had one goal. To make sure the next generation 'create'!

It was a bittersweet day, because he was going to see loads of new, creative and ingenious art from all sorts of ponies who could all be their students! On the other hand, loads of them would be turned down, and he hated to do that. That's why even though this was his college, Blue Note made the decision of the ponies who got in. Blue Note knew so much more about the potential of ponies than he himself did, and he wasn't influenced by pity or compassion at all. Blue Note was usually cold in aspects such as auditions.

They entered the college side by side, and they were greeted by several students who were passing by in the hall. Everyone knew them. They were admired by all. They were seen as two gods among ponies. Dexter didn't like it, and Blue Note didn't care for it. Dexter said hello back to everyone with a big smile, and Blue Note didn't even bother  to look up from under his fedora, that was pulled far over his eyes. These students weren't worthy of his attention, since these were all the ones who didn't get into the highest, Dexter-mentored group of students. These were all the failures who got to enter the college at a lower level, being mentored by teachers far less competent than Dexter and him.

They entered the college's recital hall. A large stage with a grand stand for the audience. This time, only Dexter and Blue note would be sitting there, taking notes of everyone who auditioned. Dexter was a bit disappointed. This was EXACTLY what it would look like in a nightmare. A barely lit hall with only 2 people as audience, who didn't even bother to sit on the front row. And above all, the utter silence.

They sat down, and Dexter pressed a button on the phone that had been set up on the table that had been prepared for the two of them in the middle of the stand. "Belle, you can send in the first candidate now..." He said, starting another day of rejecting nearly everyone, even though they had a good sense of creativity and motivation. It tore him apart inside, but he knew it was for a just cause...

"Here we go again..." Blue Note said, describing Dexters feelings perfectly. "Indeed... here we go again."  He thought, while Blue note sent away a dancer after performing for 15 seconds... "Sorry pal, you're out." He said, barely even looking up from his notes.

"Next..." Dexter said through the intercom. "Let's see what we get now. Applicant number 53 of day 2..." Blue Note said softly around the pencil in his mouth, while scribbling the applicants number down on his notes.

Scribblegroove had his eyes closed. For nearly half an hour he'd sat in the waiting room, while several ponies came out crying, sobbing or stomping their hooves on the ground angrily. He didn't bother. He knew he'd get in. How could he NOT get in? There was no-one else with his amount of musical talent for composition, and no-one with his specific spell. A spell that could convert the music that he imagined in full detail in his mind to real-life sound to the environment. Now if THAT was not impressive enough, then he wouldn't know what would be! He had been listening to music... in his own imagination... for a while now, and opened his eyes. He looked around the room, and could see several ponies waiting in nearly break-down fashion, unlike him. He stood up to look at the schedule.

Scribblegroove:  53, 14:30.

He looked at the clock on the wall. It was 14:29. "What a coincidence..." He thought to himself, as he walked to the door and waited for another crying pony to stumble out. "It is truly depressing to see all these people who cannot control their emotions."

Scribblegroove walked up to the stage. He looked at the two men sitting in the middle of the stand. One of them had to be Dexter he presumed. He had never seen the pony before... He nodded his head towards them and stood in the middle of the stage.

"My name is Scribblegroove, I am going to perform a one man orchestral original composition that I have created myself." He exclaimed loud and clearly to the two stallions in front of him. The stage lights that were shining down on him blinded him. They were heavy and hot, and the made him sweat terribly. "Now is the time scribblegroove, remember, focus on the music, let it flow through your body and then just let it out!"

He gathered the magical power that resided in his horn, focused on the music that he was about to play, and as if natural, the music came out as if he were talking:

He had closed his eyes, completely drowning himself in the music. It felt wonderful, the entire world was gone, and everything was about him. He didn't care about what the pair that was examining him. The music flowed through his head, resonating through his entire body. The piano was clear, the orchestra was loud and the trumpets were sharp. Everything was as he composed it, and better. He was one with the jazzy music that he had composed weeks ago...

He felt a little sad when the song was finally done. It ended with one loud brass hit and then there was silence. He hadn't realized that the sound was so loud, because the sudden silence hit him like a bomb. He stumbled backwards and nearly fell over. He looked at the two stallions on the stage. The hadn't seen it, as they were talking to each other. He suddenly felt a bit unsure. "Am I going to get in? There is no doubt, but still..." For the first time he actually felt nervous. He thought he had made mistakes, or that he had skipped parts of his composition. "The deed has been done, nothing I can change now..." He thought, and he calmed down, waiting for the stallions to come with a result.

"Jezus Christ that was loud" Blue Note whispered grumpily. "I think the word you are looking for is amazing, or extraordinaire, or perhaps you mean GOOD?!" Dexter replied a bit agitated. If Blue Note was going to reject this unicorn they could quit altogether! They wouldn't accept anyone! "Yeah yeah, it was good, but most of all, I heard POTENTIAL, and that's what matters éh? This is school after all, and he still has lots to learn. I think we should let him in. First catch of the year!" He whispered. Dexter raised one brow. "You think?" He said cynically, but he shut up as Blue Note yelled at the unicorn. "You can call yourself student at the college of the exceptionally talented son, you're in!"

Dexter continued:  "Now if you'd please come sit next to us, you can have a look at the other contestants! You can even give your opinion, although I wouldn't even bother, since Blue Note here only cares about his own!"

Scribblegroove was in ecstasy! He'd made it! Of course he knew that he would make it, but it still felt like a huge relief to hear the one stallions raw voice say "You're in!". The stage was barely lit, so he couldn't exactly make out who of the two had said it, but then the other stallion invited him to come sit next to them, and referred to the other one as 'Blue Note'. He reckoned that was Dexter then. He was even more baffled by the invitation than his acceptance. HE was going to sit with two of the GREATEST artists in the WORLD. He felt extremely flattered, and he quickly walked up to the stand, and sat next to Dexter. "I just want to thank you Mr. Brandswise! I am..." Blue Note, who was on the other side of Dexter cut him off. "Shut up boy, here comes the next applicant. Number 54. And would you kindly move one row up, I don't want you to block our view or distract us. And don't talk during performances either!" He said. Scribblegroove quickly moved a row backwards, sitting precisely behind Dexter. Dexter turned around and smiled, but then put his hoof in front of his mouth, implying that he should be silent. He then put his attention on the stage again.

(I think you might need some explanation. Here is how it works. You describe your own performance, and you decide how you do it. Once you get accepted, you will get invited to sit next to the other applicants, behind Dexter and Blue Note. You can whisper with eachother, but you cannot talk to Dexter or Blue Note, although they might pick up on what you are saying and react... It doesn't matter what 'Applicant number' You have, or if someone has posted without getting a reaction yet, just post your performance and I'll make sure that it is chronologically correct...)

Edited by Scribblegroove

Traveller nervously went up as his number was called. 54. He moved up. How were you supposed to preform writing? He wasn't a very good public speaker. That's why he wrote! He took a deep breath and moved up to the two professors, clutching his blue notebook with all of his ideas, poems, songs, and stories in it. He flipped through it attempting to find the poem he had decided to use. He did so nervously as he got more and more worried that it had fallen out. He mentally sighed as he found the page with his poem. He began to read it aloud with nervousness in his voice.

Mare In The Moon

Ponies had joyous fun

Before the setting of the sun

With the nights embrace

Came an unhappy face

Little had they known

With the seeds they had sown

The face in the moon

Would be back soon.

Traveller finished the rough poem and looked up at the professors. He admitted it wasn't his best poem, but he enjoyed writing about Luna. Well, before she was Luna. The first line had bugged him. It didn't feel right. It was short like many of his poems. He enjoyed songs and stories more. He flipped the notebook closed and awaited his answer.

(edited)

@@Delernil,

Dexter was silent. He wasn't very impressed. Blue Note would've called the red light after the first two sentances... but he hadn't. He was silent, and listened thoroughly. "Whats up Blue? You can't take it an..." He was interrupted. "Number 54, you're in as well, come sit next to the guy behind us and shut up unless we ask you something..." Dexters jaw dropped. "What, you are letting THIS guy in? After all the amazing pe..."

Yet again he was interrupted. Blue Note spoke to him with a voice of authority, and even a little pride in his voice. "I know my game, and I know potential when I see it. This guy is shining it out so bright that I don't know how you were so blind that you couldn't see it.... Perhaps it is because YOU are not a poet, and I AM.." He turned to his notes again, and left Dexter to his mind, speechless to what his old pal had just decided. "Well, it's your call..." He said, a bit grumpily, but he trusted his friend more than he trusted himself. Blue was reliable like that...

"NEXT! Number 55!" 

Edited by Scribblegroove
  • Brohoof 1

Astral walked up to the stage nervously, and began to feel his heart race a little. Half of his mind was going off on a little rant about how he should prepared before this, and how he should picked a song to play while he was waiting. The other half was trying hard to come up with lyrics on the spot, and what notes he should hit while singing them. As he went towards the middle of the stage, the song was almost done and ready to played before the professors. Now of course the panicking part of his brain didn't stop ranting, however he tried to his best to block it with all of his might. Astral toke in a deep breath, then he began to sing.

My life has been 

really strange lately.  

It feels like the world 

is falling down on me,

and I am trying my best

to get by. It feels like my

brain is going burst anytime.

Oh well! I guess I

gotta pull this thing

together somehow

Oh well! Things might 

look up for me, but for

now I just  gotta

pull though. 

I look back at all of my 

mistake, and I start to

wonder what I was thinking.

Now they all coming to back

to get me, if only I wasn't

so stupid back then...

Oh well! I guess I 

gotta pull this thing 

together somehow

Oh well! Things might 

look up for me, but for

now I just gotta 

pull though.  

Now here we go 

again, don't go  

screwing it.I trying  

my best not break

right now.To try and

keep calm.

Oh well, looks like I 

screwed up again.

Oh well, there is

always next time

I guess. Oh well...  

Astral looked at the two the professors, he hoped they didn't notice that he had just made the song a few minutes ago. He slowly tapped his hoof, and hoped he could get in.    

@@MrRiderman

Blue note hadn't opened his eyes throughout the entirety of Atral's performance. Dexter was silent while his friend thought. If it were Dexter's call he'd accept this guy's amazing voice... But it wasn't his call...

"Your songtext is worthless pal..." Blue Note said bluntly. Dexter cringed. He was about to try to talk him out of it. To say that the songtext wasn't that bad at all and that he radiated 'potential' like Blue always wanted, but he was surprised. After a dramatic pause Blue continued. "But buck, I haven't heard a voice like yours in a while. We can work on your poëtry and composition, but your voice is near infailable. Welcome to the crew! You're in! Please come sit behind us with the other's, and keep yer mouth shut!" He said, nearly seeming sad that he had to admit the quality of this stallions voice.

Scribblegroove had listened to Astrals performance just as thoroughly as Blue Note, and he'd come to the same conclusion. He had an amazing voice. The songtext was better than he'd make it, since he usually made instrumental music. He waved at him and pointed to the seat next to him, implying that he should come sit next to him. "Nice performance! He whispered to him as he got closer. "My name is Scribblegroove, nice to meet you!" He said softly enougu not to annoy Blue, but loud enougu for Astral to hear...

@@Scribblegroove,

There was one thing Star felt as she waited for her number to be called...she...was...Terrified. Star had wanted to join this school since the day she discovered its existence. But now that she was here...all she could think about was running in the opposite direction. She'd never been that confident in herself but she knew that she had to at least try...as mean...or...terrifying as it may be.

When her number was called, her eyes grew wide and she slowly got up, taking a deep breath and walking onto the stage, her wings shaking noticeably as she sat down at the small grand piano farther back on the stage.
She took a deep breath before she began to play, starting off slow. At first she hit a couple wrong notes as her hooves (And wings) were rather shaky but farther into the song she really started to feel the music and, most of the worry faded away, leaving her playing smoothly. The song was meant mostly to be a duet but Star did a very good job of singing, her slight prench ((French...prance...)) accent being the perfect touch for the song.

"I can't believe what you said to me
Last night we were alone
You threw your hands up
Baby, you gave up, you gave up

I can't believe how you looked at me
With your James Dean glossy eyes
In your tight jeans with your long hair
And your cigarette stained lies

Could we fix you if you broke?
And is your punch line just a joke

I'll never talk again, oh boy, you've left me speechless
You've left me speechless, so speechless
And I'll never love again, oh boy, you've left me speechless

I can't believe how you slurred at me
With your half wired broken jaw
You popped my heart, seams
On my bubble dreams, bubble dreams

I can't believe how you looked at me
With your Johnnie Walker eyes
He's gonna get you and after he's through
There's gonna be no love left to rye

And I know that it's complicated
But I'm a loser in love, so baby
Raise a glass to mend all the broken hearts
Of all my wrecked up friends

I'll never talk again, oh boy, you've left me speechless
You've left me speechless so speechless
And I'll never love again, oh friend, you've left me speechless

How? How? How?
How? How? How?

And after all the drinks and bars that we've been to
Would you give it all up? Could I give it all up for you?
And after all the boys and the girls that we've been through
Would you give it all up? Could you give it all up if I promise boy to you?

That I'll never talk again and I'll never love again
I'll never write a song, won't even sing along
I'll never love again, so speechless
You left me speechless, so speechless

Will you ever talk again?
Oh boy, why you so speechless?
Some men may follow me
But you choose death and company
Why you so speechless? Oh, oh~"

She finished the song and sat at the piano for a moment before taking a deep breath and standing up, looking towards the judges, her heart practically thumping out of her chest as her nerves returned.

Oh boy, why you so speechless? You've left me speechless, so speechless Some men may follow me But you choose death and company Why you so speechless? Oh, oh~"

Dexter thought deeply. Another singer, and this female one could also play piano. Though in his opinion having two singers would already be a risky development for his schooling schedule, he liked to have multiple kinds of art, but this one was nearly as good vocally speaking as the other singer that they had let in. And her songtext, and her ability to play piano as well made it even more apparent to him that they SHOULD accept her. He looked at blue note. He saw him adjust his fedore and scratch his chin. "I'm not sure if she wrote this song herself. I heard it... somewhere." He whispered. Dexter replied "It was not obligatory to write your own song for the audition, remember? You can just perform what you want..." Blue Note looked at him. "I know that, but if she hasn't written the song herself, then she would get no credit for the songtext, which is sustantially better than the one of the other singer. If it's not hers, then I wouldn't let her in, but if it is, I would..." They were both silent for a while. Blue Note then decided to give her the benefit of the doubt. "Right then, 'Star' was it? You have a good voice, but we already have one of those in our ranks. However, you can play an instrument as well, and your text is solid, so I'm going to let you in." He said. "If you'd please come sit next to the other ponies behind us and shut your face until the audition is over, then we may proceed..."

Dexter felt relieved. He had never heard the song before, so he'd assumed that she'd written it herself, but Blue Note knew a lot more about music history than he did. That was his area of expertise...

A few other auditors had entered, and weren't accepted. One dancer, and one actress. After that, the next number was called.

"Next, no.59..." Blue said. He hoped they'd get something else than a muscisian this time...

@Scribblegroove

After Astral got his respond he was pretty pleased that he got in, and couldn't help but grin. He then looked at the stallion waving at him, and pointing to the seat next to him. He didn't see anypony else besides him and the two professors, so he decided to take up his offer. Yet there was still part of his brain that like always told him to sit by himself, and how he was only here for degree. As always though he tried to blur it out, and sat next Scribblegroove. "Nice to meet, you Scribble, my name is Astral Rhythm." Astral whispered back to him hoping that he didn't come off as too awkward.         

Traveller out his notebook on his lap as he sat down next to the two ponies. He smiled then turned back to his notebook as he scribbled more thoughts and whatever. He began taking names and arts. He saw two musicians. And heard, but there was one more. A musician. Three musicians.

'Oh great, I have to write some songs for them, don't i...?' Traveller mumbled to himself as quietly as possible.

@@Scribblegroove,

((I didn't think we had to write our own stuff...unless I missed something...))

Star let out a sigh of relief and moved to get off stage, excited to be able to sit down, but she stopped a foot away from the mic and quickly leaned back over. "Thank you!" She said, giving the two judges a small smile and quickly running behind them to sit down, smiling. She had done it!
She leaned back in her seat and quietly tapped her hooves together, excited to see who came up next.

Thunder stood there, waiting nervously for his number to be called. He heard the next number number and his ears pricked up upon the recognition of the number being his. He grabbed his guitar, his lead and immediately set up. Walking out on the stage, he looked to the judges and said "Hey there, my name is Thunder Shred and I'm a guitarist." Pick in hoof, he took a deep breath. Come on. You've done this countless times before. He positioned himself on the fret board, and played a song.

Letting it all out during the solo, Thunder slipped on one of the frets, leading to a minor note change. Shaking his head, he continued the song. Hitting the outro, the stallion gained some form of static cloud around his head. Releasing on the final chord, the static launched as a bolt of lightning over his head.

(No you didn't, but you never told the professors that you wrote it yourself... Its ok, it doesn't really make a difference)

@MrRiderman

Scribblegroove looked at all the auditors that had made it in. He was surprised to see that there were already 3 muscisians. All of them very different from eachother, but still. He also looked at the poet, that had sat down next to them quietly. He didn't know if he should greet him, since he looked busy with his notepad. Instead, he spoke to astral again.

He pointed ar Star: " Looks like you've got some competition..." He said.

• Brohoof 1

She took a deep breath as she finally heard her number finally called up in what felt like forever. This mare hadn't been paying attention to any of the other performances so much as consumed in a neverending flurry of nerves. These were critical ponies, and they were going to surely reject her. Why was she doing this? It was a walk of shame within her own mind up to the stage. Her boyfriend had encouraged her to try to enroll into one of Equestria's best schools - he told her that all of her own self-training had culminated to this point. To the point where they could sculpt her into her ultimate dream; a professional artist.

Though she made bits here and there selling her art on the side, she knew she was not quite good enough and had loads of room for improvement. To train hard was her goal, and she was serious about it. But being serious wasn't enough. She needed the technical skill to back it up. When (or if) they rejected her, she only hoped they'd be gentle about it. Maybe then, it'd make the pain of awful criticism lesser... 

As she trotted up to the stage before the scrutinizing eyes of these stallions, she nodded her head and decided to announce her skill to them:

"Ahem... my skill is visual art." 

She channel up the intense nervous emotions into her forehead as she felt the magic burst forth from it. It was something she had done countless times; she couldn't screw up now. Ignore those nerves and just do what you do best... use them to fuel the magic...

A crimson light began to emit from it, dancing across the stage in a jagged and not-so-graceful manner due to her intense nervousness, before it changed shape into a draconic silhouette. The silhouette had at first become an unpleasant shade of brown, then changed to a purple reddish gradient. As she attempted to hold it in place, she reached back towards her saddlebag to pull out a roll of paper with her mouth. The paper fell out of her grip and rolled nearly off the stage before she quickly trotted after it and grabbed it with a tighter grip within clenched teeth again. Her embarrassment was absolutely palpable; the creature's silhouette dropped its head downwards and covered its face with its claws. 

The tan unicorn tried to disregard this and tossed the roll into the air. Finally, something had gone right; it unfurled gracefully and slowly wafted down to the ground...

She then opened up her saddle bag once more and grabbed several containers from it. The mare set these containers down onto the stage floor and used her magical prowess to make the paint erupt in a volcanic explosion of color from all of them simultaneously. These colors and the silhouette flew rapidly towards each other until they had collided and the light illusion had been glimmering and coated completely.  

All the while that paper was still wafting slowly down...

That was, until she ordered the paint-coated light creature to fly past her and rapidly crash into the paper with a colorful explosion of sparkles. Usually, she would've made this display a bit more flashy, but she decided it'd be best to end it off quickly due to her increasing difficulty in controlling her anxiety.

As the paper in this violent thrashing fell quickly to the ground with a light thud, she lifted it up with her usual crimson aura and displayed it before judges. Upon the piece of paper was indeed the same draconic creature they had seen before, captured almost exactly as it had been in light form. Though it was a vague shape and didn't have much detail to it, it made the whole paper around it covered in a subtle plethora of gradient hues and flashy bits of shine and sparkle. 

Astral looked at mare on stage at the time, Scribble was right. The mare was not only a good singer, but she had the lyrics to back up her vocals. He didn't know whether she made them up herself, or if it was from song that already existed. Whatever the case was he couldn't help, but feel his preferment was lackluster. Then a voice came in like they always did, "Come on college hasn't even started yet, not give up just yet." Well it might have been right there still a chance for improvement, after all he did have 4 years to do so. 

After all the voice left him, he looked around before responding to Scribble. There was of course the other two musicians, and one poet writing in his notebook. Whoever he was though he seemed kinda bitter about something, what that something was Astral had no clue. Something also told him that he shouldn't bother him, he thought it might worsen his mood. After Astral stopped looking around at his other students, he turned back to Scribble to respond (in a whisper of course). "Yeah but, a little competition never, hurts to have around." He said while smiling a little.               

S.K. Lovecraft sat patiently waiting for his number to be called.  It seemed to him that he had been unlucky enough to have received the last number of the auditions.  He didn't really care, he didn't even expect to be accepted.  He was here to see how the audience would respond to his writing.  Ponies didn't like dark stories, they liked warm stories with happy endings, at least that was what the market of Equestria was flooded with.

His stories however were different, they were the dark and grim things that ponies would usually avoid, but still here in Manehattan he had gained a very small following that let him get by.  His constant reads of his short stories at any of the book stores that would allow him often caught others of guard and he felt like he was making an impact on the future of writing.

Finally his number was called and he moved through the double doors on to the theaters stage.  Only a small group sat in the seats and compared to the large number of auditions and the prestige of the college he could only assume they were the accepted few.  He was sure now he wouldn't be accepted, there were so few who were.  But still he had done readings of his stories to smaller groups. 

In the center of the stage he cleared his throat, "I am S.K. Lovecraft and I will be reading a short story for you.  I had a different story in mind at first but during the long wait I wrote a new story.  It is unedited and will never be published, nor do I plan to ever do a reading of this particular story again.  I must warn you, for my readings I uses a spell to create visual aids for the story, once however I begin the spell I cannot stop until I reach a chapter break or the end of the story.  Since this story has no chapters it will have to be the later.  If however you need me to leave the stage I will not respond to outside stimulus so you could simply pick me up and move me."

Lovecraft closed his eyes and an arua of black and with a glowing white outline surrounded his horn.  He began to read and formed a black blob of magic which inside showed glowing white lines moving like the waves of an ocean.

(So I actually wrote a short story for this.  It's just a rough thing that I threw together based around the next RP I'm going to GM.  I hope you like it, but nobody needs to read it :P so yeah)

Darkwater Beach
By S.K. Lovecraft

Darkwater. The island's name was Darkwater. A beautiful paradise hidden away in the eye of a never moving and never ending super storm. The ultimate getaway, completely isolated from the world.

Found by accident, its location shared by fate and built upon by a fortune. A luxury hotel of the finest architecture sits before a serene beach and a placid sea. Its halls are deserted and the grounds though perfectly manicured show no signs of life as only the calls of birds echo across them. A pool is even filled with a water and has a bar built into its side, from the bar counter a puddle of a slowly thickening liquid trickles down each drop turning the water slowly red. The hotel waits for a grand opening that will never come.

Still sometimes guests arrive, they come for the pre-grand opening celebration but they never stay long. The last group to arrive was all but gone now, only one last hanger on. He was about to leave too.

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************

Chance couldn't hear the sounds of the jungle over this own heart pounding in his ears. Leaves wouldn't stop harshly slapping his face as he galloped through the thick underbrush, no matter which way he ducked or weaved to avoid the next branch one had to be right behind it waiting. He couldn't say this for sure though; every time he got close he squeezed his eyes shut as hard as he could. So maybe the branches moved at the last second to meet him themselves. It was the reason he closed his eyes, each hit dug at his sensitive eyes with a sinister purpose.

'I won't. I won't. I won't. I won't. I won't.' He repeated the two words over and over in his head. It had become his mantra, it keep it him safe.

He longed now for the peace and comfort he'd had only days ago... But maybe it was weeks ago, his mind had already slipped away from him and even the essentials like time and physic made little sense to him now.

His mind clung simply to the oncoming branches and avoiding them as best he could. "I won't. I won't. I won't." He resorted to speaking the charm aloud, gasping panicked breathes between each word.

A screech came from his directly to his right, so shrill and loud it drove like a nail into his brain. He didn't pause, he didn't even flinch; he didn't care anymore about anything other than the leaves ahead. Still through the ringing in his left ear he heard the thrashing and thud as whatever it had been landed behind him, in his right ear he heard nothing but felt liquid leaking from it.

He wouldn't last much longer. Somewhere deep in his mind he knew that much was true. His lungs where burning and he tasted blood, his body was covered in cuts which stung constantly from marinating in the sweat which coated him, and while before the aches in his legs had been dull pulse with each hoof fall now they were completely numb and he felt as if he were floating and barely missed tripping on each root he passed.

"I won't. I won't. I-" the last word was choked off coming out only as a muffled mouthful as a branch had changed its aim and stuffed into his mouth. The force knocked out one of his teeth but still failed to impede his charge as he clamped his mouth shut snapping through the wood and spitting out mess with his next exhalation. He stopped saying his mantra loud and returned the endless chant to his mind. 'I won't. I won't. I won't. I won't:

He wouldn't be like the others. He wouldn't let that happen. He wouldn't be caught. He had his luck; he always had luck on his side. He was Chance Gambit, the unicorn that never lost. He wouldn't lose here.

The next slap of across his face came with the extra surprise of suddenly tumbling forward. His forehooves scrambled to find where the Earth had suddenly disappeared to but could only fail about uselessly as he fell. He landed head first with a grinding crackle as his body twisted on top of him balanced for a moment before thudding down next to him. 'I won't. I won't' his sight went fuzzy then black.

*******************************************************************************************************************************************************

"Hey Chance! You enjoying the beach?" His eyes snapped open to stare into the smile of a red Pegasus mare.

He could only mumble in confusion, "Strawberry Fields?"

"Mmmm hmmm. You were really out of it weren't you? You shouldn't just lay out here in the sun; you'll get a really nasty burn." Despite what she said she laid down next to him snuggling in close and putting her wing over him like she always used to. "More bad dreams?"

His groggy mind struggled with the concept, 'was it a dream?' He tried to remember what had even happened to disturb him so much, but it was fading away now his mind was just drawing a blank. His eyes felt so heavy and the words barely would leave his throat, "yeah the worst."

But here the sun felt so nice on his skin, the aches and worry began to fad away while Strawberry's gentle breathing and heartbeat was slowly lolling him back to sleep.

Something stopped him though, a sick thought that he didn't want to listen to, 'She shouldn't be breathing.' 'What's wrong with me?!' he screamed internally at himself for having a thought so dark about his special somepony.

She sounded as if she were already half asleep, "stay with me here forever. Lets just lay here in the sand and let it all pass us by, just become a part of the beach, a part of each other."

It was such a sweet sentiment, it was so like her to say things like that, to be so happy and content just to be with him doing nothing at all. He opened his mouth agree, "I won't."

He felt her stiffen against him, he didn't know why he had said it, but the way she turned onto her back to stare back up at him made terrible images flood into his head. "What did you say?" She whispered.

There she was in his mind, laying just like that in his hooves as he cried over her. Her vibrant red color spreading into the sand while she spoke to him in a quiet desperate tone. He looked at her now and tears were again in his eyes, he answered her firmly, "I won't."

****************************************************************************************************************************************************************

He woke suddenly, snorting and blowing grit out of his nose. He tasted sand and blood but didn't bother to try and spit it out. He laid on the beach staring down the shoreline, on one side was the ridge and jungle he'd come from and the other had the ocean. The world was spinning and out of focus but he could see the blinking lights out in the water, the resorts dive boat.

He could walk anymore; his legs wouldn't support his weight. So instead he started to crawl. He dragged himself halfway across the sand before he heard something else rustle out of the jungle. He didn't need to look back to know what it was, so he didn't bother to look back until he was up to his belly in the cool water.

There it was standing in the rut on the beach where he had dragged himself. A dark form shaped like a pony but he knew it wasn't. It smiled at him with sharp pointed teeth and started slowly trotting towards him with high exaggerated steps.

He scrambled now kicking wildly to get into deeper water and to get to the boat. He'd rather take his chances in the world’s most deadly storm than face anything on that island again. Paddling like a dog his head kept bobbing in and out of the water and the boat seemed to not be getting any closer. A series of splashes let him know that the thing had entered the water. He looked back in fear knowing now he would never reach the boat. It still had that sick grin on its face as it waded out; it didn't even try to swim simply walking forward until it disappeared beneath the surface.

Chance pulled his eyes from the now empty shore and refocused on the boat which was now obviously getting closer. Each second felt like an hour but his hooves met the boats hull and his muscles strained to pull himself onboard. Chance didn't have the time to find out if he still had the strength to haul himself onboard, a dark silhouette with the sharp toothed grin peered over the ledge above him. Something wrapped around his right hindhoof and yanked him down as the thing pounced from above tackling him into the water.

More and more dark tentacles clung to him with grips of steel, the thing from above bit into his shoulder. He fought the two shapes with a ferocity and vigor he didn’t know he still had. ‘I WON’T! I WON’T! I WON’T!”

The thing whispered directly into his mind, it used Strawberry’s voice and completed the mantra with the word he didn’t dare to think. “Die?” the way it whispered it in her voice, it wasn’t a command but a begging plea.

She was there in his mind again, in his memory dying on the beach as she used the last ounces of her strength to beg him to live for her, to escape this horrible place for her, to not die like her. That one word in her voice was the ultimate perversion to him and what hurt even more is he knew the ultimate betrayal came next. He had promised her, had sworn to her on her dying breath; he felt like such a liar. Then his mind went blank and he felt nothing. His body stopped its struggles and was claimed by the Darkwater.

Lovecraft opened his eyes, and stared out at the group trying to gauge their reactions.  Like after all his readings his throat felt raw and he needed water badly.

Edited by Torrent505

(edited)

@,

Blue Note flattened his ears agains his head as soon as Thundershred started playing. "Holy crap what is this?" He said to Dexter. Dexter's reaction was completely different. He jumped up and stared at Thundershred. His jaw had dropped once again. "Shut your mouth you moron, we're supposed to be professionals..." He said to him. When Thundershred was done, finishing with a release of electrostatic charge, he turned to Dexter. "Listen. I'm going to let him in, but only because you started eargasming like that." He then yelled down to Thundershred. "I can see you're skilled, but I am not very fond of metal. However, dexter can enjoy any kind of music, and since you nearly gave him a seizure on how good you are, you can count yourself in..." He said.

@,

He then called the next number, and a crimson maned mare unicorn walked in. She looked so nervous that she looked like she was about to cry. "Oh well that's a good sign..." He said "Oh come on she hasn't even started yet!" Dexter replied. When she announced that her area of expertise was visual art, he smiled. Or well, he did something with his mouth that could be considered a smile from Blue Note. "That's good news. We haven't seen a lot of those het this year." He said to Dexter. He replied with a question. "I wonder how she is going to 'perform' that..."

When she started, Dexters jaw dropped again. The muscles began to hurt a bit there. She even got a reaction from Blue, who slightly raised one brow. After a lightshow of wonderful magic, she showed them the end result. Blue Note started to talk. " I must say the end result looks dissapointing..." He began, but dexter interrupted him. "Oh shut up you grumpy old fool. Artsy, you are in, come sit with the others quickly. I think the last auditor is about to come." Dexter had been so agitated by Blue that he had jumped up. He sat back down and softly said to him: "You can't start giving feedback with 'dissapointment' to a mare who is anxious like that. This is why I am the teacher..." He said grumpily. Blue Note said nothing and waited for the next and last participant.

@@Torrent505,

The writer, who had used magic to illustrate his story had fritghtened Dexter and impressed Blue Note. "That's daring content you read to us there. I like your style. You don't care about what the average standard would say about your story." Blue Note started. Dexter quickly whispered into his ear "Maybe a little too daring?" But Blue Note discarded the idea. "You have a talent for both writing and entertaining. You can count yourself in. Come on the front row." He looked around and adressed everyone else: "All of you come sit on the first row actually..." He turned to Lovecraft again. "You were the last one, so I guess we can start introducing ourselves now..."

@all

Both Dexter and Blue Note walked down to the stage, past lovecraft, and waited for everypony to sit in the front row. Now that they were standing in the bright lights of the stage, they could be examined better.

Dexter was a pegasus with a brown-reddish coat and a lean figure. He was tall, and a little muscular, like an athlete. His mane was brown and grayish however, implying quite some years that he had lived. His eyes were bright orange, and always looked straight in the eyes of the person he was talking to. He was elegant, but sturdy. Youthful, yet old. A very strange stallion. His cutie mark were a few lines connecting several colored dots. No real information could be deciphered out of it.

Blue Note looked a lot different than Dexter. He had a saturated dark blue coat with near grey eyes and hair that used to be black as the night, but was also going grey. He was smaller than Dexter, and also looked slightly older. The earth pony also wore a fedora on his head. A black one. His cutie mark resembled a full note with a black dripling out of it, and a quill nearly touching the tear as if it were ink. Most of all, this stallion looked like he had experienced loads of things. Both grief and happiness. He radiated wisdom. He was a bit like a typical grandfather in that case. His voice was rough and very low, matching his appearance.

Dexter spoke up to everyone sitting in front of them. "Mares and Stallions of the college of the exceltiobally talented. My name... As you might've assumed, is Dexter Brandswise. I am going to be your mentor and teacher for quite a long time, so you better get used to my face!" He said joyfully. "This here is Blue Note. He and I have been friends for quite a long time, and we perfectly fit together like puzzle pieces. He is a grumpy old buck, and I am an hyperactive middle aged pegasus. Our areas of expertise together cover nearly all forms of art. If you have a question, you will have to ask both of us, since for instance, I am a terrible poet, and he is a terrible dancer." He continued, grinning at his old friend. His 'old friend' didn't bother to react and waited for Dexter to finish.

"You have all been selected for a specific reason. If you'd like to get some more details on that, you only have to ask. Secondly, this college works very differently from any other kind. We will give you theoretical assignments on sibjects we think you need practice... You will be doing those at home or in your college room. What you will do together are projects that we instruct you to do that will require you to broaden your view to work with the other's. For instance, if I were to say that you" He pointed at Star, "And you," he pointed at Thundershred. "Had to work together to write and perform a song together, you'd have to mix your taste, talent and skill to create something that hasn't been done before!" He explained. "I think you get the idea..." He added.

"Today, we're just going to introduce ourselves, a bit about where we came from and what our talents are. We will be working together for quite a long time, so I think it is only appropriate that we get to know eachother a little better. I'll start:

As I said, my full name is Dexter Brandswise. I have been teaching young talent for a very long time now. Before I became a teacher I was an actor, a dancer, a writer, a visual artist and a stuntflyer, though you don't have to consider that art... I am also a thinker, a philosopher and a 'visionaire', as many of my fans tell me. I always try to come up with new ways to express myself. When it comes to my personality, I can get excited over anything and I am always positive. I'm also really bad at saying no..." He finished his story. "I think that's it. If you want to know more about me and Blue, just ask, we wont bite!" He waited for his new students to tell more about themselves.

Edited by Scribblegroove

Thunder stepped up. Hell, I might get this over and done with now. Stepping up onto the stage once more, he cleared his throat. "Well hello everypony, and as you might have heard, I am Thunder Shred. When I was younger, my father showed me a new type of music I had never heard before. Metal. I began to take a great interest in it, and whenever I could, I did. Mainly to the detriment of my flight school, but I never cared much for flying. Eventually, I failed flight school. My father banned me from listening to metal, so I got upset and left Cloudsdale. Even though I was only 15 at the time I left home, but I knew how to look after myself. I went to Ponyville, and I found someone there. I never managed to find out who he was though. He gave me a guitar and taught me how to use it. Over time, I've learnt more and more, and I recently started a band. I have been told by some that I rival the greatness of Strapping Young Colt. I do not think so though. Well, that's pretty much my entire life story right there. If you want to ask me anything, or get to know me better, just ask. Don't be offended by anything I say though. I have strong views. It will be a great pleasure to learn with all of you, and I will enjoy this a lot. It will be an honor for me." Thunder stepped down from the stage and sat back down.

Traveller flipped his notebook closed and walked up onto the stage nervously. 'Im Distance Traveller. I write things like...poems and books and songs...' He said before taking a breath and speaking again. 'I daydream a lot, so I always keep thoughts in this,' he said as he held up his blue notebook. 'I do better at stories and songs than I do at poems, but I'm not a good speaker. I usually perform poems. I grew up in Cloudsdsle and wrote a lot. I travelled a lot, and I tend to think best while walking.' He finished. 'Thats about it.' He said as he walked down from the stage.

"Wait!" Ribbon Ruffle exclaimed. Late, late, oh, so very late! 

"May I... May I still try out? I mean, I have all of my things ready... I just..." She didn't know what to say to explain her lateness. "I slept in late" probably wouldn't work out too well. She probably should've thought about it before she rushed out on stage, but it was a bit too... well, late for that. 

Edited by xxGhostie

(@, DEAR GOD I COMPLETELY FORGOT ABOUT YOU :c So sorry... Please forgive me for my stupidity. This is my first time GMing... Everyone who has introduced themself, or introduces themself after this post, your post will have happened AFTER the audition of ribbon ruffle. She will get approved, and then Dexter will ask everyone to proceed with introducing themselves, even though it doesn't work properly chronologically seen. So don't hesitate to make an introduction post in the middle of ribbon ruffle's audition. As I said, I will make it work out chronologically correct...)

Dexter had just told everyone something about himself when the panicking mare ran in. She seemed confused and nervous.

"May I... May I still try out? I mean, I have all of my things ready... I just..."

"Well, you're not on the list, but it if you've already got everything together..." He stopped for a moment and thought. Is it really correct to let her try out after she came in late. That she wasn't on the list could have been a faultee on their administrators side. He looked at the mare who was looking back with big eyes. "I can't say no to that now can I" He thought. He then spoke up and kicked Blue Note softly at the same time to prevent him from objecting. "You know what, why not... Show us what you've got... Whatever it is that you're going to do." 

@@Scribblegroove

Ribbon Ruffle heaved a sigh of relief. "Thanks, thanks so much, really." She levitated up a mannequin and her bin of fabric, and quickly decided that she ought to design an entire outfit. She knew she didn't have much time, but that was alright, because she was skilled at multi-tasking. 

She set to work quickly, sewing and grabbing fabrics--she didn't have to measure anymore, for she had mastered guessing measurements correctly months ago. Ribbon and thread were flying all around her, and once she was done, she took a step back. Not so bad for ten minutes. 

(I decided, because she made her dress in ten minutes, I'd draw it in ten minutes, too. You don't have to look at it if you don't want to, it was just for fun.)

post-18446-0-31243000-1391093925_thumb.jpg

Edited by xxGhostie

(edited)

Dexter was looking at the mare as she put her dress together as if she'd done it a million times. He could see her skill and craftsponyship, and the speed she worked at was baffling. On the other hand, this small piece of clothing did not really represent a whole lot of creative talent, and more loads of skill. He wasn't sure what to do.

"Oh for bucks sake, we all know that you want her in your class, so get on with it..." Blue said annoyed, and then he sat down in a chair next to the new students. "Let everyone introduce themselves like we wanted, we need to keep on schedule." He added as he pulled his fedora over his eyes.

Dexter looked at ribbon and smiled. "You heard him, have a seat..." He said.

(chronologically speaking, NOW thundershred and traveler introduce themselves.)

Edited by Scribblegroove

Star listened in silence to Dexter's talk about the school. She felt like her heart had wings...she was so happy to be there and couldn't put into words how she felt even if she tried...though she couldn't get many other things into words either. Star had always been on the shyer side as most figured out after knowing her for about a minute...which, as if on cue, would become rather obvious to anypony else who hadn't known she was even there in the first place...introductions, Star's worst nightmare...next to all her other worst nightmares.

Star stared wide eyed at the stage as ponies moved up to begin introducing themselves.
She seemed to shrink back into her seat as two colts walked up onto the stage one at a time. She closed her eyes and took a deep breath, getting up and joining them on the stage. "My name is Star Song...I make music..." She spoke, quickly and very quietly, staring at the ground as if trying to burn through it.

@

Dexter listened as two stallions introduced themselves with ease. He was happy that they weren't shy. He was suddendly dissapointed as one mare who introduced herself as 'star' was barely audible at all.

"Come now Star, speak up a little. Witha voice like yours you should be screaming from the rooftops! There's no need to be shy, we're all friends here. Tell us some more about yourself... Do you play any other instruments?" He said to her with a reassuring voice. He then turned to the others. "This counts for you as well. As a true artist, you need to have a sensenof self confidence and pride. Some sense of showmanship, a bit of flair. No matter what your art is, if you want to mean something in the world you can't let your shyness get in your way..."