Wilhelm Scream in Three's a Crowd

DubWolf

In the last episode as Cadence and Twilight were finishing off that snake monster, I managed to hear a wilhelm scream (if you're familiar with Star Wars, it is the sound you heard when one of the stormtroopers fell down in the Death Star when he was shot) right when the monster fell into his hole. It can be heard at this instant at 17:37:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_SldxLDv5c

Thoughts? I'm sure most people recognize it as that "falling stormtrooper" sound effect, so could this be more hat tipping done by the creators?

• Brohoof 1

It's a funny sound effect, sure it's been used a lot lately in some episodes that have humor. I just wish the Wilhelm Scream wasn't used a lot, maybe it's a running gag.

I'll be honest, I enjoy it and it's not the first time we've heard it. :P

Edited by Scootalove
  • Brohoof 1

The Wilhelm Scream isn't new to Three's A Crowd. ;) It also appeared in Keep Calm and Flutter On when Angel fell down the rotating cottage. It's also been heard in a couple of other episodes this season, though I can't remember exactly which ones they are.

For me, the Wilhelm Scream in episodes is a nice touch, but I personally prefer the other references in the episode over that. Like... the Harry Potter get-up in Discord's song :D

I noticed it! Also noticed it in several other episodes this season. I'd point out each instance if I were more obsessive. 

This could be hat tipping, or the product of a sound designer who has discovered a new toy and gotten overenthusiastic with it. Who knows.

When you guys say "wilhelm scream", do you mean the same sound effect you heard in this episode, or was it a different one (there are a few types of this scream)? I may have heard the sound effect but didn't really acknowledge it or recognize it immediately.

When you guys say "wilhelm scream", do you mean the same sound effect you heard in this episode, or was it a different one (there are a few types of this scream)? I may have heard the sound effect but didn't really acknowledge it or recognize it immediately.

Wilhelm scream is same every time. it's a very distinct scream that is used in a lot of movies, especially during action scenes

Search it on youtube and you'll find plenty of examples. :)

Edited by crazitaco
  • Brohoof 1

Wilhelm scream is same every time. it's a very distinct scream that is used in a lot of movies, especially during action scenes

Search it on youtube and you'll find plenty of examples. :)

Yep.  Hundreds of productions have used it.

There's actually a list of its appearances throughout FiM here.

I believe the first time they used the 'wilhelm scream' in the show was in Magic Duel when Trixie blasts a cart in the air that almost hits Shoeshine where the sound effect is emitted as she gasps, but Twilight saves her. :yay:

I'll admit they can be a bit... liberal... with it though, using it with a female pony is one thing but using it when shooting magic lasers at a worm monster is another. It's not too distracting honestly, but they have really silly timing with it if you ask me. :P