Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming Favorite Rhythm/Music game?

~Silver Essence~

It seems the one video game genre no one really talks about is rhythm or music based video games, and odd, considering the amount of replay-ability those type of games have.

It can be something that's mostly about tapping to the rhythm, or about playing controlled instruments to play with the song in mind.

My personal favorite for the list is the rhythm heaven series, it's a great game for the Wii and DS where you tap to the rhythm of many mini game style actions in order to win like hitting the golf ball at the right time.

Rhythm-heaven-fever.jpg

Honorable Mentions:

• Patapon 1/2
  • Hatsune Miku Project Diva
  • Rock Band 
  • Guitar Hero
  • Brohoof 2

Music game? Guitar Hero 3. It was so addictive that I can't quite believe it. I played to the point where I could FC half of the songs on Expert (including Cult Of Personality, my proudest gaming achievement!)

An honorable mention to Beatbuddy: Tale of the Guardians, though. This one isn't about playing the songs, it's about blending in with them. I talked about it in another thread, I think, but the idea is that the environment pulses and moves to the beat, as do you.

• Brohoof 1

Elite Beat Agents!

The game sits in my list of top 5 favorite games of all time. A little example of it here:

It probably doesn't have the most strikingly unique rhythm mechanics, but they were definitely very enjoyable, even addictive, for me. And their song selection (and remixes of said songs) sticks in your head so long!

But what easily sets it apart from many other rhythtm or puzzle games for me is that it has stories. Not "a story"; not one ongoing saga of adventure and ultimate mystery, but a seperate, unrelated story for each track. In the short minute or so before every single track in the game, they manage to find a way to get you emotionally invested in what's happening; and your rhythm is what sets the tone for the killer montage that brings the hero of that story back to the top of their game. "Don't you want that little girl to see her father again? Don't you want Hulk Bryman to finally make his comeback?? Do you or DON'T you think he can do it? Do you BELIEVE in magic?!?"

What's more, even though those stories are ultimately so simple, you get infinitely invested in them through the short, sweet difficulty of the music. When after dozens of tries, you finally manage to beat that 17-hit drum solo and see the next 'scene' in which Cap White the white blood cell hands punishment to Mr. Virus, it feels so much more rewarding.

Honestly, there's more than one track/story in that game that's been able to bring me to tears. Look up some videos if you like. (Particularly "You're the Inspiration")

• Brohoof 2

On 2014-02-07 at 7:18 PM, Katana said:

Elite Beat Agents!

Honestly, there's more than one track/story in that game that's been able to bring me to tears. Look up some videos if you like. (Particularly "You're the Inspiration")

Great game

Edited by uuunph