Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

could FIM be a prequel?

Twilight Mist

With Applejack and Spike first appearing in G1 I was thinking maybe Hasbro has a surprise in store for us?

Even Twilight appeared in G1. Okay she was named firefly but apart from that an almost perfect fit!

Edited by samuelkingsley

With Applejack and Spike first appearing in G1 I was thinking maybe Hasbro has a surprise in store for us?

Even Twilight appeared in G1. Okay she was named firefly but apart from that an almost perfect fit!

That's actually Rainbow Dash

Anyway, I don't see how this would be a prequel

It would be especially unlikely as most of the Mane 6 are basically Frankenstein versions of past generation characters with the names, personalities, and appearances mixed up. It would be hard to reconcile them as being in the same universe.

Not that I'm some big expert but I don't think any of the MLP generations are meant to be connected. There's nothing even remotely connected. Any characters from previous generations are just that generation's version of the character.

Edited by Discordian

Okay if their set in a different universe, explain how Applejack and Spike crossed dimensions from Ponyland to Equestria.

If I remember correctly, there were weird legal issues with using characters from past generations, because Hasbro doesn't own the right to every character for some reason.

Spike and Applejack appear basically because they were the only G1 characters that could be legally used.

Okay if their set in a different universe, explain how Applejack and Spike crossed dimensions from Ponyland to Equestria.

I don’t think it’s a prequel, I think Lauren Faust borrowed character names from the past gens then re-created them to fit with her version of MLP:

For example the already mentioned Firefly being the inspiration for Rainbow Dash, the name Rainbow Dash (along with Pinkie Pie, Scootaloo, Sweetie Belle and Cheerlie) were all Generation 3 characters before Lauren Faust did her version, they even lived in a town called Ponyville as well.

But they look and sound different in each gen, and there personallitys are different and they live a different life, and the same can be said about G1:

In G1, Spike was like this villains side kick before he joined team pony as it were, his backstroy in G4 contradicts the G1 version of Spike, and he was never a villan first he was always on team pony and a goodie from the start

Edited by Asherdangerdash
  • Brohoof 2

There doesn't need to be one, because they're not the same ones. I refere to my example previous, in the multitude of Transformers, they reused many characters from before (Optimus Prime, Starscream, Bumblebee, etc), and they're not related to the previous ones, other then in name and simular looks and personality. A better example is the DC Multyverse, where there's multiple versions of say, Superman, but they're not all the same.

No.

A prequel has to be made beforehand, hence the prefix -pre. It's more of a remake than a prequel, since Hasbro had to remake the show after the first generation ended. That's why we have four generations.