Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Naming your child after a character on the show.

Azureth

But then again, Luna sounds just like any other of those modern names, like Clover, Spring, and Willow (I honestly just made all of those up).  Only a handful of people would think of Luna Lovegood.  Plus, it wouldn't be as obvious as a name like Katniss.  Luna is probably one of the best of the bunch that we've thought of.

My advice, Just name your kids normal names. I went to a boarding school, so a lot of the kids had weird names. For example there was a Hermione in the school. You can imagine the teasing she had to endure. Another kid was called Tristram, the piss taking that he had to endure, I feel sorry for him. I used to get teased about my name, Thomas Angel Rampling, even though its a normal sounding name!

Yeah but if you name one of kids Luna, people will think you've named her after Luna Lovegood, out of Harry Potter. Not good!

Luna means moon in Spanish. That's where they got the name for the actual Character. Its an actual Spanish name and it's a very pretty one too.

• Brohoof 1

Lol. All I have to say about naming kids - remember you are naming A PERSON who will have to live/deal with the name. Naming pets on the other hand- they aren't going to give a crap.

• Brohoof 2

Take something subtle, like Cheese Sandwich. Your kids will never be bullied, because they won't know it's a pony name.

Attendance!

Teacher: "Sean?"

Student: "Here."

T: "Hannah?"

S: "Here."

T: "Alex?"

S: "Here"

T: "Cheese Sandwich?"

The rest, they say, is history.

• Brohoof 4

But in school you just know people are gonna call her 'Loony' Luna.

And whats wrong with being a bit Loony hm?  :lol:

Honestly, you shouldn't let something as minute as that let you affect whether you name your child something. I doubt they will call her Loony unless she really is a loon. 

And whats wrong with being a bit Loony hm?  :lol:

Honestly, you shouldn't let something as minute as that let you affect whether you name your child something. I doubt they will call her Loony unless she really is a loon.

I don't mean to be rude, but you're 17. I have a kid, with another on the way, and what to name him/her and whether they'll be bullied because of it is a big worry.

Attendance!

Teacher: "Sean?"

Student: "Here."

T: "Hannah?"

S: "Here."

T: "Alex?"

S: "Here"

T: "Cheese Sandwich?"

The rest, they say, is history.

Rofl.............now that would be the funniest thing to hear. 

OT: Personally, I rather give normal names to my kid, however, I would want to name my kid Soarin.   If you guys remember Matt Hill's interview with Ponyville Live, he was told that the creator of Soarin, was in fact named after her son.  So, you could say there are some names that are fine, but most would not be suitable.

• Brohoof 1

This thread reminds me of the time the video game company Acclaim Entertainment made a game called "Turok" and they had said that they would give I think $10,000 to the first person to legally change their name to Turok. The $10,000 was given to a couple who named their newborn baby Turok.

I bet Turok's living a happy life.

Edited by Shenron00

If I were to ever do that, I would have to look and thing long and hard about which character to pick. Besides, anyone who would do that is a fan gone too far. BTW, how about Lyra?

If I were to ever do that, I would have to look and thing long and hard about which character to pick. Besides, anyone who would do that is a fan gone too far. BTW, how about Lyra?

Whoops, I put thing instead of think. Stupid auto-correct! :)

Luna means moon in Spanish. That's where they got the name for the actual Character. Its an actual Spanish name and it's a very pretty one too.

Erm... also latin, which spanish is based on. thats probs where it came from. Besides, luna is a root that means moon in english. like lunar. oh and lune also means moon in french

I don't feel it's right to give a potentially embarrassing name to a child. Like it or not, a name like Twilight Sparkle or Rainbow Dash will be made fun of. It's doing your child a disservice. 

That said, I have entertained the idea of naming a daughter Twily. It's still an unconventional name, but I don't think it would stand out too much. Non-bronies likely wouldn't give a second thought to it. 

• Brohoof 1

How about Lyra?

Vinyl is weird, but kinda sounds good?

Lyra I can understand, it does not sound like something I would instantly relate to MLP. I've heard the name before, just not sure where.

Vinyl is just.... odd, and personally I could not even consider that.

• Brohoof 2

There is really no need to name your child after a character from the show, unless you want to. But, I would name my child: Dashie if it is a girl.

Yeah, in reality, I'd never name a child after a character in a show. In my opinion, its a little strange. If people are in to that, then thats their choice but in reality I don't see it happening, mainly for the sake of the child.

• Brohoof 1

Yeah, in reality, I'd never name a child after a character in a show. In my opinion, its a little strange. If people are in to that, then thats their choice but in reality I don't see it happening, mainly for the sake of the child.

Yeah, that's what I mean basically.

In short, no. No no no no no! Don't do it! I'm as big a cartoon/anime/science fiction fanboy as any out there but when my children were born I was very careful and conservative in selecting their names. Even then I almost vetoed the name my wife wanted for our daughter because it was the same as a magic-wielding character from Archie Comics.

Since coming into contact with other parents or discussing children's names with health officials, I have learned that a little boy born around the same time as one of my children was given the first name "Legolas" by his parents.

I have heard of young Luke Walker, who is fortunate in that he will be able to select who he reveals his middle name of "Sky" to.

And my daughter had a little boy named Harley in her kindergarten class. I was intrigued as to how his parents came up with that unusual name until I learned that his last name was, in fact, Davidson.

In short, for crying out loud, don't do that to your kids! You're setting them up for who knows what kind of torment when their peers find out what their names actually come from.

But I do think Rarity and Cadance could be nice names.

Cadence is actually a pretty common name. ^^

Rarity sounds very cute as well. ^^

I plan on naming my kids after some video game character, but as much as I love ponies, I don't think their names would sound very good for an actual name.

As much as I would like to yell "Twilight Sparkle! It's time for school!" across the house, it just doesn't sound like a good name for a human. ^^"

But hey, 'tis my opinion! ^^

Joe, Maud, Celestia/Tia, Cadance, Bill, Candy, Pearl, Betty, Rose, Magdalena, Wensley, Flora, Ace, Amaranthine, Amira, Jubilee, Felix, Geri, Giselle, Grace, Jeff, Jim, John, Jubilena, Justice, Mille, Randolf, Rick, Roxie, Sam, Serena, Theodore, Donald, Donny, Vera, Vidala, William, Wilma, Agatha, Amber, Lily, Esmeralda, Jade, Hope, Misty, Buddy, Luke, Jack, Laurette, Tracy, Allie, Eliza, Maxie, Nixie, Perry, Raven, Vance, Violet, Lance, and Melody are all acceptable pony names for humans from the wiki IMO. 

My daddy left home when I was three 
And he didn't leave much to ma and me 
Just this old guitar and an empty bottle of booze. 
Now, I don't blame him cause he run and hid 
But the meanest thing that he ever did 
Was before he left, he went and named me "
Twilight Sparkle." 

• Brohoof 4