Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Naming your child after a character on the show.

Azureth

I know someone who is named Pinky. It's not her birth name, but it was a nickname given to her long before mlp began. It totally fits her. I didn't even know her real name until recently.

Though, if she were to have been named after a pony on the show, she should have been named Rainbow Dash instead of Pinky. They are very much alike.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

For starters, I'd like to state that I tried to avoid doing something like this when naming my son.  We went with Altair.  This name was chosen as a reference to a star; both of us were unaware of the Assassin's Creed character having a very similar name, Altaïr.  Notice how the game character has that diaresis (or something like that) thing going on?  This makes the name a three-syllable word instead of two.  Not only is it annoying when people theorize we named him after a character, but it's even more annoying when those that know us AND him insist on saying it with the ï instead of the i.  Oh, side story... I'll save it for later.

Regarding naming a child after a MLP character, depending on the name, I could see that being done, possibly even semi-normal.  "Apple Jack" could work, seeing as how that's a type of cereal and alcoholic drink, and some celebrity (can't remember who) named their child Apple.  I've seen the name "Rarity" given to girls before FIM came out; in fact, the first one I encountered was in my teens, so we're talking about 15 years ago.  How many of us have seen someone named "Spike" before?

Some other names, such as Rainbow Dash or Fluttershy, might be taking it a bit too far.  These are abnormal names, and clearly referring to the show.  It's possible that these kids (most likely girls) would be bully victims over it.  While bullying is a somewhat normal thing, something like this makes it a lot easier for the problems to manifest.

I believe that if I were to honor a MLP character enough to name my child after them, I'd most likely select the name of the voice actor.  With this in mind, my daughter would probably be Andrea Shannon and my son would probably be John Peter (even though I wanted to avoid religious-oriented names, too).

SIDE STORY!!!

During this past holiday season, I went with my ex to her dad's place (mainly because of our son).  After the death of his wife (not my ex's mother), her son still came over from time to time, and usually brought over his girlfriend.  This girlfriend was telling me that a coworker of hers (that she doesn't really like) claimed to know FOR A FACT where we got our son's name from; Assassin's Creed.  Upon hearing this, I told her to relay a message for me.  "You're a moron.  You don't know us, or how we think.  Look at a star chart, and learn something useful."  (I don't really like Christmas, so it helps to use that disgust in a positive manner).  This made the girlfriend happy to hear, as she said that she'd tell her as soon as she saw her.

Edited by Washougal_Otaku

Then again, I would be flat out embarrassed if my name came from a little kids show about magical ponies. :blush:

As much as I love MLP, I think this is a very good point... so I agree with this.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Well. As someone who comes from a nerd family with my brother being named after a star wars character, why not? Certain names are a bit too weird. Twilight, rainbow, flutters, ect. Rarity, cadence, luna, and lyra are all neat names. (Some used already as names)

So yeah, as long as the kid is not negatively impacted I think it's fine. If a child can be named northwest or hermione, we can have a rarity. I don't know if I will ever have kids but rarity is #1 on my list of names for a daughter. It is just so pretty and roles off the toungue.

As for the topic of whether the kid will be embarrassed, if you show them at a young age they may take some pride. Sure, its a show about ponies but as they grow up they make their own identity. My brother hates starwars despite being named after it, but he aint embarrassed. He has made the name his own and that is what matters.

Edited by Lemon
  • Brohoof 1

I think there are a couple of decent names that you could possibly get away with.

These would include:

- Trixie

- Lyra

- Aloe

- Joe

- Maud

- Twist

- Tom (the rock)

Though I reckon if your name was Fluttershy... Bwahaha! Oh dear goodness.

"What's your name?" 

"Fluttershy"

Now I understand.  :umad:

• Brohoof 1

If you conciously choose to name your child after a character on the show then you don't deserve to have children.

It's the most idiotic and reckless thing to do, with half the names you're just asking for your child to be bullied and ridiculed. Don't be an idiot when naming your child.

It Shouldn't have to be that way. That's just a small example of one of the biggest problems in this world that most people can't get past. Should it matter what anyone's name is or where it came from? Why do people have to get ridiculed and bullied over something so trivial and inconsequential as a name. I think people need to focus a little less on all the minimal stuff that everyone (especially in America) believes to be important and a little more on what really matters because if we don't start coming together as a world instead of just segregating people that have different Ideals and beliefs, I fear the Human Race won't last a whole heck of a lot longer.

Trixie is more of a dogs name than a person's name in my opinion. I guess I think that because my friend named his dog Trixie.

If I had a child, specifically a daughter, it would be tempting to name her Luna or Maud.

If I named her Maud, we would have to pick rocks in our barley field and I would chuckle the whole time. :P

If you conciously choose to name your child after a character on the show then you don't deserve to have children.

It's the most idiotic and reckless thing to do, with half the names you're just asking for your child to be bullied and ridiculed. Don't be an idiot when naming your child.

While I respect your point of view, this is a little harsh, I think.  Robin Williams named his daughter Zelda after Princess Zelda.  I wouldn't say he's idiotic and reckless and doesn't deserve to have kids, and I really don't think his daughter hates him and has been bullied and ridiculed her whole life.  I think it's pretty awesome, actually.  But I would certainly stipulate that naming your child something like Twilight Sparkle or Rainbow Dash is a bad idea.

I think if you're subtle about it, this can be a great idea.  I personally think Rarity is a fantastic name for a girl.  If someone isn't familiar with the show, they wouldn't even know where it's from or think anything of it.  I don't think a girl named Rarity would get bullied, at least not more than any other kid.  It's just a name.  Albeit a little out of the ordinary, but in a great way.  If words like Hope and Faith can be names, why not Rarity?  I think it's brilliant.

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

I'd personally approach such parents and slap them, asking "What were you even thinking?"

A child is not a toy or property. Neither is it our tool for expressing what kind of shows are we fans of (and I've seen some parents giving weird names to their children simply because THEY liked the show). Its name is not for us to play with and have fun naming it, but for that very child to serve him in the future and accompany him/her through years. Of course, name changes are possible, but it'll take years for that child to change his/hers name.

Then again, names taken from reality into the shows (all kinds of Johns, Pauls etc) work backwards. But if we took a weird name originating out of nowhere, it'd be just... wrong.

Sure, it may seem fun and entertaining for us and few others select who'd understand the meaning behind it. But usually majority would NOT. And the last thing I'd like to do with my child would be having fun by its cost. I'm not saying parents should be stiff. But I am saying they should be responsible. There are dozens, hundreds of beautiful names to pick from and all of them aren't socially awkward so I don't know why should anybody reach for such 'drastic' sources.

...but in the end, I guess, it's all about "Don't tell me how to raise my children!" thingy.

EDIT: Yeah, I'm a very down-to-earth person in reality :I

Edited by Khajiit

Another thought to add to my previous one: it's bad enough when a child ends up sharing a name with a popular fictional character when it wasn't intended, or that came out after the child was born. Growing up in the 80's, I caught plenty of ridicule because I shared the same last name as a character on pretty much the most popular show on TV at the time: The A-Team. Which character? Well, it wasn't any of the three sane ones...

Compounding that by deliberately naming a child after a fictional character is just adding insult to injury.

While I respect your point of view, this is a little harsh, I think.  Robin Williams named his daughter Zelda after Princess Zelda.  I wouldn't say he's idiotic and reckless and doesn't deserve to have kids, and I really don't think his daughter hates him and has been bullied and ridiculed her whole life.  I think it's pretty awesome, actually.  But I would certainly stipulate that naming your child something like Twilight Sparkle or Rainbow Dash is a bad idea.

I think if you're subtle about it, this can be a great idea.  I personally think Rarity is a fantastic name for a girl.  If someone isn't familiar with the show, they wouldn't even know where it's from or think anything of it.  I don't think a girl named Rarity would get bullied, at least not more than any other kid.  It's just a name.  Albeit a little out of the ordinary, but in a great way.  If words like Hope and Faith can be names, why not Rarity?  I think it's brilliant.

I agree with this so much! Rarity is a great name. I also think just "Dash" would be an alright name although maybe not quite as good. 

• Brohoof 1

Names are a really funny concept aren't they? They're the sound someone makes when they want to refer to a specific person. Most of the time they're not even actual words. And to add onto their weird concept, a person doesn't get to pick what they want to be legally called. They can create a "nickname" for themselves that they would prefer to be called by officially they don't have any control over what essentially defines who they are.

Is there a set criteria that you have to follow when you name force upon a newborn the very definition of their character? Is there something that defines what is acceptable and what isn't when you give them this identity? There seems to be a meta for names; you always see people being named the same things. George, Sarah, Susan, Max, Billy, etc. If you want this to be a crucial part of your child's identity, wouldn't you rather it be something unique? A name like Dash or Vinyl would certainly be an interesting one for your child. Wouldn't it make them stand out more as an individual? Instead of having someone say "Could you call George over here?" And have a reply of "George X or George Y?" You'd have someone say "Could you call Vinyl over here?" And there would be no confusion cause there would only be one Vinyl. Your child would be the unique Vinyl instead of the cookie cutter George.

But also what would define what is too far when picking a name? Would you want to pick a name that already has a meaning to it? That would certainly mean you child would be associated with the meaning of their name wouldn't it? Would you name your child Toilet and have them be associated with the object in which body waste is disposed of in? Or would you name then Feces and have them associated with body waste? Names should be unique, but shouldn't boundaries also exist? 

Again names are a very funny concept.

• 6 years later...
  • 1 year later...

I think giving a child some weird name (especially after a well-known character) is stupid. Children with weird names get bullied more. Also, it shows that the parents are just following fads. I mean, if you find out that a 6 year old girl is named Elsa, well, you already know what movie her parents watched. 

Though you can name a child after a character if that character has a "normal" name. Nobody would know. Or, try to come up with a normal-sounding name that has some logical connection to the character. From example if I wanted to name someone after Rarity, I could name them Deimantas or Deimantė (depending on if it's a boy or a girl) - a normal Lithuanian name meaning "diamond". I could name a girl after Twilight by naming her "Vakarė" - a rather popular name which means "west" or "evening".

• Brohoof 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 2014-03-23 at 5:23 PM, MLPForums Phanact said:

Bruh what- they're not going to name their kid Twilight Sparkle, they specified that. A lot of the names on the show are passable as regular names, like Luna, Cadence, or Rarity. Let's not forget, either, that "cadence" and "rarity" are English words. They could also use parts of names from the show, like Jack (AppleJack,), Celeste (Celestia), Belle (Sweetie Belle), Mac (Big Mac), Bloom (Apple Bloom), etc. 

I will admit that "Rarity" could be a stretch, but if someone was named "Cadence", would your first thought really be "wow, their parents shouldn't have been allowed to have children"?