Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Naming your child after a character on the show.

Azureth

I know this may come off as really nerdy, but hey, people have named their children after videogame characters.

Could you ever see naming a child after someone on the show? While some names such as Twilight Sparkle, Applejack etc. would definitely come off as weird there are some I think could go over well. Namely Rarity and Cadance. I think they are really pretty names for a daughter and not TO out there, of course convincing my non-existant wife to go along with it would be difficult. Not to mention your kids would probably get teased and not like the fact they were named after a Pony lol.

Just something that I thought up. But I do think Rarity and Cadance could be nice names.

• Brohoof 4

Some of the names from the show are good names, like you said. Provided the parents aren't too obvious about the name being pony I don't think the child would be too negatively impacted by their name. I personally wouldn't do it on purpose, but if others want to and think they can pull it off, let them. Not my child whose name they're deciding.

• Brohoof 1

After hearing of people naming their kids things such as "Facebook", "Hashtag", and "North West", I am surprised that I have not heard someone name their kid "Rainbow Dash".

Wait a second!  After a quick Google search, it appears that someone named their kid "Pinkamena Zecora".  Seems legit...

Cadance would be a pretty good name.  Just don't let the kid know that it came from a kids' pony-show.  Other than that, I'm 100% opposed to the concept.

Edited by StarSwirlTheBearded
  • Brohoof 3

If you conciously choose to name your child after a character on the show then you don't deserve to have children.

It's the most idiotic and reckless thing to do, with half the names you're just asking for your child to be bullied and ridiculed. Don't be an idiot when naming your child.

• Brohoof 2

After hearing of people naming their kids things such as "Facebook", "Hashtag", and "North West", I am surprised that I have not heard someone name their kid "Rainbow Dash".

Wait a second!  After a quick Google search, it appears that someone named their kid "Pinkamena Zecora".  Seems legit...

Cadence would be a pretty good name.  Just don't let the kid know that it came from a kids' pony-show.  Other than that, I'm 100% opposed to the concept.

Yeah, but Cadence is a proper name.(although spelled with an a instead of an e)

Yeah, but Cadence is a proper name.(although spelled with an a instead of an e)

I was unsure whether it should be spelled with an a or an e.  I know that it is spelled Cadance in the show, but I had a feeling it should be spelled Cadence.  By the way, Cadance does not register as a word with my spellcheck.

• Brohoof 1

I was unsure whether it should be spelled with an a or an e.  I know that it is spelled Cadance in the show, but I had a feeling it should be spelled Cadence.  By the way, Cadance does not register as a word with my spellcheck.

Well either way, it's the only real name in FIM and I only knew one person with that name when I was in school. She hated the name because everyone thought she was a snob.

I'd name my son Dash, but I'd have to tell him that I named him after the Incredibles character instead of the pony unfortunately(still, I plan on naming my first son Terry anyway)

I'd probably call my daughter Rarity though

• Brohoof 1

well, there is a kid in my school literally called rainbow,

but I think a good name from the show would be... tom.

• Brohoof 1

I would only go for names that pass as real names.  :)  Luna and Cadance come immediately to mind.  Only Bronies would think of the MLP characters when hearing those names. 

I once had a young online friend named Brittany.  She was named after Brittany from Alvin and the Chipmunks.  But only a Chipmunks fan like myself would even think to ask about that.  ;) 

It's a good idea, but it needs to be something that's not too obviously straight from the show. Which is why Cadence or Cadenza would be alright. Celestia and Luna work too, so it wouldn't be too bad. If I had a kid I'd probably think about it.

• Brohoof 1

Yeah, don't name your kid "Pinkamena Zecora", unless you want everyone at the PTA meetings to think you're a total dumbass.

If you absolutely have to, then like others have said, Cadence works because it's not obviously a pony name. Even Chryssi would pass, if you're into that.

• Brohoof 1

I'd name my son Dash, but I'd have to tell him that I named him after the Incredibles character instead of the pony unfortunately(still, I plan on naming my first son Terry anyway)

I'd probably call my daughter Rarity though

If you named someone "Dash" and told them it was inspired by the Incredibles, I think they'd still be pretty embarrassed.  And don't call your daughter Rarity: even if it doesn't come across as a pony name, people will think it's a rich name (just as another poster mentioned about Cadance).

well, there is a kid in my school literally called rainbow,

but I think a good name from the show would be... tom.

I suppose if a kid had "Rainbow" anywhere in their name, they would become a laughing stock.  Especially since rainbows are associated with being gay nowadays.

It's a good idea, but it needs to be something that's not too obviously straight from the show. Which is why Cadence or Cadenza would be alright. Celestia and Luna work too, so it wouldn't be too bad. If I had a kid I'd probably think about it.

Celestia may be pushing it a little bit.

• Brohoof 1

Yeah but if you name one of kids Luna, people will think you've named her after Luna Lovegood, out of Harry Potter. Not good!

But then again, Luna sounds just like any other of those modern names, like Clover, Spring, and Willow (I honestly just made all of those up).  Only a handful of people would think of Luna Lovegood.  Plus, it wouldn't be as obvious as a name like Katniss.  Luna is probably one of the best of the bunch that we've thought of.

@,

I like Luna Lovegood and Luna of MLP. Luna of MLP more by miles, but hey.