Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why assume people are trolls?

WOBBUFFET

(edited)

Please, just let me have my denial so I can continue to live in a fantasy land where people don't unintentionally act as stupid as some of the "trolls" I've seen. 

Edited by Shoboni
  • Brohoof 9

I would prefer to believe that Ann Coulter, Michelle Malkin, Rush Limbaugh, Pat Robertson, the late Fred Phelps, Jenny McCarthy, Donald Trump, and many others are celebrities who intentionally act the way they do to make money rather than force myself to admit that they are truly horrific people. I know in my heart that it is not true, but I try to believe anyways.

• Brohoof 2

You assume that I'm a troll? You've assumed correctly!

Photo2609_zps94fe5e27.jpg

Anyways, on a more serious note I'd like to believe that we assume some people are trolls for a variety of reasons. We like to think that maybe these people really aren't that stupid, they're just trolls. 

Because by not assuming that every stupid opinion is a troll, you make it easier for the trolls to win, because you reply to those posts with a fervor that only feeds a troll to its maximum. 

Because I don't want to live in a planet where Suey Park's tweets are not satire.

Oh, by the way, did you see the video were Diane Finstein says that the 1st amendment should be a privilage?

Because trolls are usually assholes and when someone behaves like one than there is a good chance they might be a troll. In some cases people are actually dumb enough to believe what they are saying and are still assholes but it can be a tad hard to tell sometimes.

It seems that "troll" has become synonymous with "anyone who disagrees with you."  (Think of accusing someone as "trolling" if they tell you they prefer oranges when you mention liking bananas).  I always assumed a legitimate troll was someone who went out of their way to cause trouble/grief/drama.  But this was in the before time, in the long, long ago.

• Brohoof 2

Or the fact that some people can be SO dumb that they accidentally troll, when is actuality they are.........just.......not the brightest. :P

• Brohoof 1

The usage of 'troll' on the internet once had meaning. It used to describe people who actually intentionally were all about getting under the nerves of others. Nowadays 'troll' is a term that is thrown at people that oftentimes have controversial opinions that a lot of others disagree with.

All it is, is acceptable name-calling.

I wish the term would die, alongside "flame wars". Both terms have equally lost their meaning. Anybody with controversial opinions (even if sincere and stated kindly) is now labeled a 'troll', and any argument that gets even the slightest bit heated up are now labeled 'flame wars'. The average forum poster seems to have no idea what these terms mean anymore.

To be honest, I think both have lost their meaning for the very same reason: Some people never want to see others with opposing opinions, and never want to be questioned in their positions. So what better way than to call any starting of an argument a "flame war", and anybody who has an opinion that is the opposite of yours and isn't afraid of stating it a "troll".