Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why do people say edgy?

heavens-champion

1 minute ago, StarrySkyDash said:

I believe it's when someone is Tense, nervous or irritable like they seem different and i'm not sure why people say it 

Agreed, because the characters people use that word to describe don't look like the nervous type.

• Brohoof 1

1 hour ago, StarrySkyDash said:

I believe it's when someone is Tense, nervous or irritable like they seem different and i'm not sure why people say it 

@heavens-champion

Edgy means something deliberately abrasive, dark , or gritty in an attempt to look “worldly”, “realistic”, or just “cool”.

In reality, you more often than not look like a poser or an angry preteen.

• Brohoof 2

33 minutes ago, heavens-champion said:

Then what do you consider cool?

Hmmm... well first, are we talking about fictional characters or real people? I was talking about real people who act “edgy”, particularly on the Internet, but in reality are just being mean-spirited and misanthropic.

But if we’re talking about fictional characters who don’t actually hurt or affect the lives of real people, it’s a little less repugnant, as long as you take it with a little grain of salt/irony.

Let’s talk one of my oldest favorite fictional characters, Shadow the Hedgehog, one of the biggest poster children for the mocking of edgelords. When I was a teen, I thought Shadow was the COOLEST. He was dark and broody, black and red. He drove a motorcycle and had a tragic backstory, and dude, he was just the BEST CHARACTER EVAR.

But I grew up, and while I still really like Shadow and still think he’s cool, it’s more in kind of a fond, “teehee, so angsty, does someone need a hug?” kind of way. He’s a really great straight-man character to bounce comedy off of, because he’s just SO SERIOUS.

Something else that keeps Shadow cool despite his over-the-top angst, is the fact that he’s still capable of doing actual cool things, like teleport, fire lasers, and having super speed. Unlike an internet edgelord, who can’t really do much outside of say nasty things to get some kind of attention. Shadow doesn’t give two quills about your attention.

So basically, edgy irl is lame, while edgy in fiction can be fun. As for what traits I find cool in real people:

• friendliness and the ability to care about the interests of other people
  • a willingness to listen to others’ thoughts, even if you don’t agree
  • being cool with who they are, not constantly tripping over themselves to appease whoever they’re talking to
Edited by ShadOBabe
  • Brohoof 1

It often just refers to a person who's trying hard to be angsty or harsh. The term is incredibly overused, but it's not really as bad as people make it out to be.

4 hours ago, heavens-champion said:

What does it even mean?

Edgy can be used to describe something that is excessively dark, often to a point where it's overbearingly depressive nature could be considered humorous.

• 3 years later...