Do you say something when people sneeze?

Fluttershutter

What do you say? Why do you say it? What do you think it accomplishes?

I don't say anything. I say let people deal with their bodily functions in peace.

Saying "bless you" or "gesundheit" is a phatic expression(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phatic_expression), something people say for no reason. They hear a sneeze and that just explodes out of their mouth practically like a sneeze itself. To me it's just super annoying especially when you have a sneezing fit and they have to say it after each sneeze.

• Brohoof 3
  • Sad 1

• 1 month later...

I say either ‘Bless you’ or ‘Gesundheit’ equally. But I don’t always say anything at all. I think sometimes people expect me to say something, in which case it feels rude not to. So if it seems appropriate I’ll give one of the aforementioned responses.

If I’m in a sarcastic mood, I might be inclined to say something like “Duck and cover!” or “Everyone, cover your food!”

• Hugs 1

I usually don't say anything. Where I'm from, it's actually pretty rare for someone to say anything when a person sneezes.

• Brohoof 2

I don't know anyone who does it, and I don't either. It's just giving unnecessary attention to something that isn't important, potentially embarrassing for the sneezer.

On 2024-03-01 at 3:46 AM, Fluttershutter said:

To me it's just super annoying especially when you have a sneezing fit and they have to say it after each sneeze.

Especially in this case – you'd be expected to thank them (why?) when you can hardly say anything between the sneezes. :adorkable:

• Brohoof 2

1 hour ago, Tacodidra said:

I don't know anyone who does it, and I don't either. It's just giving unnecessary attention to something that isn't important, potentially embarrassing for the sneezer.

Especially in this case – you'd be expected to thank them (why?) when you can hardly say anything between the sneezes. :adorkable:

Exactly. Why do I have to thank somebody for saying something I didn't want them to say while I'm dealing with my nose going crazy???

• Brohoof 1

1 hour ago, EpicEnergy said:

Family, friends, or relatives I say something, but not to strangers cause I have social anxiety.

I totally feel this. I'll say bless you if someone I know / someone I'm talking to sneezes, but a random person? Heck no. That's too much social interaction for me to handle...:wacko:

• Brohoof 1