Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Twilight and celestia

ggg-2

Twilight stated in canterlot wedding that before she met the rest of the mane 6, her brother was the only pony (well besides cadance) she considered to be her friend, but, and hear me out on this, was Celestia herself twilight's friend before she met applejack, rarity, pinkie, dashie, and fluttershy, even if twilight didn't know it at the time?

I wouldn't really consider their relationship at that time to be a "friendship". Princess Celestia was a pony Twilight looked up to and learned from. I don't think they really got up to that personal level of friendship, more so just a teacher and student relationship. Keep in mind that Celestia is a Princess, and was the only Princess at the time. She was most likely very busy and did not have time to truly get to know her student,

However, as time progressed, I'm feeling like now it's more of a friendship.

Celestia and Twilight's relationship, right up until the end of season 3 anyway, was definitely that of a student and teacher. Over the years Twilight was her protege, they perhaps got less formal and more familiar than most, but that's almost to be expected after years of interaction with each other. Even so, after season 3, Twilight still has a great deal of respect and admiration for Celestia that it's too formal to be called friendship. Probably part of why Celestia kicked her out in the first episode.

• Brohoof 2

Twilight wasn't celestia's student until she got her cutie mark.

When twilight hung out with shining armour she didn't have her cutie mark but also cadence came along when shining armour became part of the royal guard and twilight got her cutie mark

I prefer Twilight and Celestia's relationship much more to what I've seen of Sunset Shimmer and Celestia's relationship. That's simply because Sunset is or was rather selfish and only wanted to become a princess for power, whereas Twilight didn't. Also it's interesting to see the relationship Twilight and Celestia have now since Twilight became a princess.