Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

I feel bad for spike

joshua324

OK so I am new to Mlp and off the back my favorite character was Spike. Twilight is kind of his Mother or Sister. But he also is her like worker and she has to do so much and after he does it she dies give him freedom.

She says he baby dragon but he has be at least 2 years younger in my eyes. The he get tossed around , hit and beaten up and no one pays him no mind.

And he a main character why is he never at the picnics or most of the party's he hardly goes on the quest if he does it a lame and short one.

In power ponies he thought he was a worthless noboby .

In the crystal episode when he saved the day no even gave him a party but if was one of mane 6 pinkee would have gave him a big party.

I hope they change this in season 5

Spike was at his best in Season 1 where he was a bit of a sexist and rough. He didn't want anything to do with the Mane 6 if it seems girly to him. Then by Season 2, he's soften and became what he is now. Spike was the only male outlook in the show. Even his dragon-hood was presented similar to that of man-hood.

Edited by Singe

Most importantly, Spike isn't focused on since he isn't a main character.  There isn't much he can do, thus, he doesn't do much.  He's essentially Twilight's pet.  Plus, Spike is pretty annoying, so many people don't want to see more of him.

I disagree. He isn't Twilight's pet and I consider him as a main character.

But yeah, he became a bit annoying during the last seasons. I hope they'll fix that. :(

Edited by Blobulle

Spike has definitely been getting the shaft the last couple seasons. The other ponies don't seem to take him as seriously or with as much respect as they do each other. Season four has seen a combination of sometimes getting a few kind words and sometimes being the butt of criticism bordering on psychological abuse. I also hope the writers give him a little more attention because as it stands the mane six don't seem to care much for him unless it suits them.

I guess they need a character that gets the short end of the stick that's not part of the mane 6.

If they had any of the mane 6 having the same problems as Spike, people would be flipping tables and sending hate mail to Hasbro.

I don't think Spike deserves all of the negativity thrown at him.

The writers don't seem to know what to do with him most of the time. I noticed this past season that he's been around more often when the mane 6 are doing a group thing, but he doesn't say or do much. I'm actually glad that he's not as sexist and rough as he was before. I never like it when characters need to rely on their gender for identity.

I think the problem is that Spike doesn't bring a unique dynamic to the group. He's usually used for comedy relief, but if Pinkie Pie is around then she's got that covered. At the worst he's regulated to being a tag along kid, and those pretty much never work out.

I don't know if they're ever going to get around to fleshing Spike out more. There are still a lot of pairings in the mane 6 that haven't been touched on yet, and I imagine Spike sharing episode plots with more of the girls isn't a priority.

I always thought it was strange how, in the first episode upon meeting Spike, Fluttershy was beside herself with excitement at finding a baby dragon who could talk, and yet after that she barely acknowledges his existence. For someone who loves various creatures as much as Fluttershy, this is akin to me finding out a genuine extraterrestrial has moved in next door and then not even waving to the guy from my driveway on garbage day. 

• Brohoof 1

The show goes so far to punish Spike the dragon for being a dragon. His entire existence is one joke. Spike can't even touch his dragon nature without going out of control and endangering the town. So he has to deny it rather than accept it as part of himself and learn to live with it. Which can't happen since he lives with ponies that try to conform him to their ways.

Edited by Singe

Yeah to me it's so weird that Dragons get really no respect. They're looked upon as troublesome fantasy creatures that thrive in caves being greedy. I feel like dragons in MLP: FiM in general are so underrated. Dragons should have more respect, power, and so forth.. I know that Celestia is the ruler and all, she's super powerful and ancient. Though even in human fantasy novels, Dragon's were considered dangerous and powerful.

In the episode Secret of My Excess, Spike was tearing everything up left and right. He would have been unstoppable to the Mane 6 if his feelings for Rarity hadn't come through.

Not just Spike, but Dragons in general in this show are severely underrated. 

Several other sentient species have been treated badly or shown badly at times. Being called a mule or donkey is a derogatory term in the Pony Society.

• Brohoof 1