Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

The New Poniverse Logo

Jamie

I think that it looks like beluga whales engaged in an epic brawl for dominance on top of a sea of White-Out, trying to secure access to the abundance of floating blue letters they've come across.

I'd rate it a 8.5/10

• Brohoof 2

I think the final outcome is great. Also, I'm glad the blue bubbles around it got removed because now I don't have to complain about how it's the Skype logo.  ^_^

• Brohoof 3

Hm, this logo is rather simplistic. It's sort... quieter than the last logo which seemed to stand out. But I rather like it. It does seem more coporate, which makes Poniverse look more mature. Good job! :)

• Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with Osmiumburst. It should be a little more complex. It looks good so far, but it can definitely be improved. Just making it a little more complex can go a long ways.

(edited)

I like the new font more. But I can't say I like the new logo more than the previous one. They both seem to be equally OK, but the're also both nothing extraordinary which would make Poniverse unique. I think it might be even harder to achieve with the second logo, since it's simpler, so it's more easy to clash with someone else's logo or be mis-interpreted easily.

I read through all the explanation, but I don't see much of the rationale behind it incorporated in it. If you showed me the logo without the explanation, I would probably never figure out all the stuff you wrote there myself from just looking at the logo. I wouldn't even know that those are supposed to be hoofs! :| The previous logo at least had something which looked like a letter P, and something which looked like an actual galaxy, so I at least could associate it with Universe and something beginning with P.

A good logo should be easily recognizable and understandable. One should be able to figure out all the stuff you described in your explanation by mere looking at it. It should work like a SYMBOL, with all the meaning embedded in it and easily visible.

But don't get me wrong. I appreciate the effort. I just don't think you're already there.

Edited by SasQ
  • Brohoof 4

It is good, but I would prefer more complexity not less

I agree with Osmiumburst. It should be a little more complex. It looks good so far, but it can definitely be improved. Just making it a little more complex can go a long ways.

See the problem with a complex logo is you end up with too much going on at once. A key point for logos in general is for it to be memorable. So if you fill a logo with complex shapes, patterns and a multitude of objects, at a quick glance your brain can't take all that information in and assimilate it into a recognisable logo. If you see the logo again, you might not even be able to compare it to what you saw previously as there's too much going on to remember; leaving gaps in your mind meaning you forget the logo. Keeping the logo simple and to the point means you don't have this issue and increases the memorability of the brand. Take Nike for example. Their logo is incredibly simple. But its memorable. They don't have to have a complex shaded image of a trainer or a sports top to be memorable. They stay to their values: Victory. Both in the form of a tick and the fact it was designed around the Greek goddess' wing. You can't say everything the brand is in a logo, you just say the core values. And for Poniverse, that was connection, universality and friendship. Thats all that needed to be said.

Besides memorability, logos have to be incredibly small e.g. a favicon at 16px x 16px and large to fit on posters, banners and for some companies, billboards. You loose this detail when you scale the logo so its impractical to add many tiny details. 

I've noticed a trend going on with MLP based logos (and website designs for that matter). I won't name a list of examples, but in a lot of cases these logos and sites are designed to follow the shows art style and logo, using a large range of colours, strokes and objects related to the show. Now this probably seems like the logical thing to do with something based on MLP. And sometimes it is. But the problem I've got with that approach is how can you stand out if you are all going to follow the same direction? You need to be different. In MLP's case you need to build upon what is already there. Take it into a new direction. It may not be what people are use to, but if it makes your voice heard, it works.

Sorry about that last paragraph. It was only vaguely related to the topic of minimalistic designs. But I wanted to vent it after being thinking about it for months. :P

Also, lastly, I'm a minimalist designer. So thats my style anyway.

Ta!

• Brohoof 1

How I not seen dis sooner? And y u gotta b so gud? :L

But seriously, it looks awesome! :D Sounds really cool bringing together a bunch of great minds to polish the idea... I've never really been a part of something like that... :P

It always baffles me (and interests me) all this technical stuff in design... I just throw together random stuff, and I'm too lazy to do teh geomitreez. xD Ah well, maybe some day...

Anyways, I hope to see more awesome design from you and the others in the future! :D

• Brohoof 1

I prefer it to the previous one, because it finally has something pony-related. (the hooves)

However, as some others said, it's still a bit simplistic, I guess it can be better than this. ;)

• Brohoof 1

I do like the old one better it just looks more fancy/complex/modern this one looks much easier but it does sorta look boring like put more color or pictures or something pony related in it

(edited)

What about this one?

img-2657111-1-PoniverseLogo.png

It came to me today morning just after I woke up.

I pictured your latest logo and wondered: "What if it start swirling, as a real galaxy?"

And when I rotated it a bit, I noticed how one of the shapes resembles "P", and the other one "V".

Just reshaped them a bit to give them somewhat modern look, changed into contour lines to make it more similar to the original design of hooves in the show, and added the rest of the text in the same fashion, and voilla  :)

You can massage it a bit more, especially the colors (I picked them at random and tweaked a bit later) and line thickness, but I like it already  :) I think it still contains everything you described in your original post, and now all of it is a bit easier to see there.

Here's the SVG source to save you some time if you wanted to fiddle with it some more.

What do you think of this one?

Edited by SasQ
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

What about this one?

img-2657111-1-PoniverseLogo.png

It came to me today morning just after I woke up.

I pictured your latest logo and wondered: "What if it start swirling, as a real galaxy?"

And when I rotated it a bit, I noticed how one of the shapes resembles "P", and the other one "V".

Just reshaped them a bit to give them somewhat modern look, changed into contour lines to make it more similar to the original design of hooves in the show, and added the rest of the text in the same fashion, and voilla  :)

You can massage it a bit more, especially the colors (I picked them at random and tweaked a bit later) and line thickness, but I like it already  :) I think it still contains everything you described in your original post, and now all of it is a bit easier to see there.

Here's the SVG source to save you some time if you wanted to fiddle with it some more.

What do you think of this one?

At the very beginning of the project I was still pursuing the idea of the two hoofs representing a P and a V. And I actually ended up with a lot of sketches that looked very similar to your design here. Like this, them designs were also based on a 'hollow' shape rather than it all being full with colour. And as the logo developed into January, I found that a full shape like the logo now seems to work much better with creating a clear hoof shape, but with the sacrifice of the P and V. I ended deciding for it as the inclusion of hoofs seemed more important to the logo than the 2 letters in the name. Yes, the logo could have still worked with a more skinner design if it had more work down on it, but you have to choose one way or the other, and I felt the more solid shapes fitted better. 

Though forgetting that, I do really like the design you made. And I like the fact it can work with and without the word-mark without needing to be modified. I do prefer, however, the softer lettering and shapes of my logo (that sounded very arrogant of me xD) for its more friendlier appearance rather than shape edges that would prick your finger if you poked them :P Im personally not a fan of strokes and gradients on most logos with little exceptions, but thats really taste rather than a criticism of your design, but it does make it a little too 'fancy' for a logo which, yeah, need to be expressive, but the more so it is the harder it is to use in different contexts.

But yeah. Really good job! If it were developed more, it could be perfectly suitable to be used as a logo for Poniverse. Keep up the designing! :D

Oh, and just a little update: 

The logos for Pony.fm, Equestria.tv, PoniArcade and PonyRoleplay along with the new poniverse.net site should be up sometime this week, so keep your eyes open for them!

Edited by Jamiequadbike

The new logo looks awesome. It is too simple, though maybe add something like, a Portal to make it stand your name out poniverse sounds like it needs something like it.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

I like it a lot, actually. :D

It's a lot less complex, making it easier on the eyes. It's got that fresh feel, kind of reminds of something corporate, which, although it seemed that you said something up there in your massive wall of text about not wanting that feel, I think it pulls it off excellently; a refined corporate feel, one that I find somewhat endearing, rather than the "corporate" you think of when you hear about oil spills on the gulf coast or ozone layers rapidly wasting away.

Basically, it's professional yet simplistic, and I dig that :D Good work.

I think it is a good representation to anyone's reaction to my profile background! :)

Edited by Captain MacMillian
  • Brohoof 3

I think it is a good representation to anyone's reaction to my profile background! :)

Thats some real Retina-Display-ready graphics you have there :P

• Brohoof 1

Update Time! 

Check out the logos for Equestria.tv, Pony.fm, PoniArcade and PonyRoleplay here: https://www.behance.net/gallery/17301433/Poniverse-Project-Logos
These were actually completed last week but it was waiting for Lavoaster to complete coding poniverse.net. He's been a lil' bit slow lately so I went ahead and released them beforehand. But yes, thats them. Sorry theres no 8,000 word essay on all of them. Theres only so much time I can dedicate to writing about logos. 

• Brohoof 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...