Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Which generation's logo?

ManaMinori

Which logo of of MLP do you find the most appealing? Why do you find it appealing? What do you think gen 5's logo will look like?

post-23572-0-38670100-1455582860_thumb.jpg

I like the second logo (gen 2/ Friendship Gardens), personally. It's got the rainbow, a pony character, and the brand name. Little bit of everything that the series is built off of.

Edited by Nightmare Muffin
  • Brohoof 5

The logo for MLP G4 has more of my attention than the others, and as for the logo for G5, I think it will become more attention-grabbing to every demographic than just little girls.

The current iteration is easily the best one. It's more refined, clean, very easy to read, and versatile for multiple media.

1. G1: Very bland and busy. The typography isn't distinctive, and the rainbow is very distracting.
  2. G2: The typography is an improvement, but once more, the colors make the logo very busy. Secondly, the pony is unnecessary. If you have to cram a drawing into the logo, then your logo has a major problem.
  3. G3: This one isn't that bad. You can read the stylized typeface, and there was more creativity into it. One fatal flaw: the gradients. As someone who studied the design industry, to have gradients in a logo is a major no-no. Gradients are impossible to replicate perfectly each time; if you're not careful, your printer will print bands of color. If you're transferring the logo to embroidery, it's even worse: You must be very careful to transition the color from one to the other, and that can cost a lot of money. Of the five logos, this one's the worst due to overlooking the technicals.
  4. G3.5: Easily the second-best logo and a major improvement over G3. With the changing of color saturation, you're immediately focused on "Pony," which is what you're looking for. The logo is more stylized by emphasizing the pony tail in the "y," and the freeform sans serif makes the logo very approachable for kids. The one big flaw is the overlapping hearts and the very thin white space over them. When you reduce the logo's size, the wordmark and trademark look like they bleed into one another. Ditch the hearts, and you have a solid logo.
  5. G4: Easily the best one. The logo finds a way to integrate the heart without having to overlap it. By removing the larger heart in favor of a rainbow, everything connects. "Pony" is larger and bolder, increasing its emphasis. The negative space is much larger, increasing legibility flexibility. Usually, transforming the counter can be distracting, but the hearts are small enough to not be distracting, yet big enough to be distinguished in multiple sizes. The one big change I'd recommend: drop the drop shadow. When in reduced form, it muddles the counter and main type.

What do you think gen 5's logo will look like?

Something similar, yet refined. If it were me, it'd be this:

1. Ditch the drop shadow and the heart.
  2. Make "my" purple and a little larger. In the preview's small size, "my" is difficult to read.
  3. Change the "Little" from a dark pink into a light pink to desaturate it.
  4. The third band in the rainbow (the one under the purple) I'd apply to "Pony" to emphasize the brand.
  • Brohoof 5

The current logo is definitely the most aesthetically pleasing to me. The flat colors and multi-tone pink give it a sort of modern and refined identity, while the horizontally asymmetrical arrangement of the letters and use of a font that mixes capital and lowercase letters portray a sort of offbeat characteristic that makes it more exciting. That logo, combined with a more upbeat theme song and Lauren Faust's character and set design, really set the tone for a completely different iteration of MLP that retains the wholesomeness and imbues a new energy.

• Brohoof 1

I think the current logo is the best looking, but that might just be because it's the most familiar to me.

I also kind of like the G1 logo, but that's probably only because I remember it from my childhood. Before G4 came around, the G1 logo was always what I thought of when someone mentioned MLP.

how is gen 4's logo any less readable than gen 3 and 3.5's?

Dark Qiviut's post sums it up. "Pony" is larger and bolder, bringing more emphasis to it, everything feels more properly connected, and there's more negative space. All these small bits make it more easily readable than the other generations'.

• Brohoof 1

Gen 4's logo absolutely annihilates the others in my opinion. All of the others feel a tad cheap and uninspired, whereas the Gen 4 logo looks incredibly clean and very well thought out. I like how it has far more detail and feels much more prominent. 

• Brohoof 2

Gen 4's logo absolutely annihilates the others in my opinion. All of the others feel a tad cheap and uninspired, whereas the Gen 4 logo looks incredibly clean and very well thought out. I like how it has far more detail and feels much more prominent.

g2's looks cheap and uninspired?

• 6 years later...

Honestly, I prefer G3's logo. The colors are more aesthetically pleasing. It's the most legible. It isn't trying too hard and isn't overtly girly and kiddy on the surface. I consider #4 to be a G3 variant. I prefer that font a little more, but solid red all over nudges it out of first place. 

I actually place the current logo last, as the very girly, cartoonist, blocky text belies the show's nuance and depth. However, the re-color from Pink to White and Purple bump it up to 3rd place. They should've went with that from the start. Screams kids show and not something Coco melon viewers would also watch.