Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

movies/tv Powerpuff Girls General Thread

Evilshy

Just to point out an opinion *Don't bash me!*

I don't really like the powerpuff girls... the only times i would have seen it, was when i was staying at my aunts (They had cartoon network) And only really watched some of the episodes because there was nothing else to watch! I just used to think the drawing style was creepy and really not for me, Nor the story and the plot....

I used to not watch PPG because it was girly. Then I grew up and realized it was awesome! Three four year olds fighting giant monsters and evil villains. Now as long as no-one mentions Powerpuff Girls Z we'll be fine..

bugga.

Well, the idea of a PPG anime doesn't disgust me, I just think they could have done it better. Picture this, the PPG and the Professor move to Tokyo because it keeps getting attacked by giant monsters. In America they're in their old art style, they get on the plane, and they're in their new art style with fingers. Only Bubbles notices the change. The more powerful villains like Mojo and Him follow them to Japan in later episodes while some new villains are introduced.

Love PPG. Use to be one of my favorites along with Dexter's Lab, Courage, Jhonny Bravo, Ahh Real Monsters, and Beetlejuice. Then cartoons sucked for awhile until Invader Zim or Stitch came along. Then just more garbage until FiM came about. If I come across any of these on tv I always stop and watch to relive the good 'ol days of cartoons.

If there was one series that could be compared to MLP:FIM, it was G1's Powerpuff Girls. It had a girly premise, but it broke away from it by attracting people of all ages regardless of gender with extremely witty writing, great characters, fantastic storytelling, and great character development. And they also inserted some references only adults can catch, like this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHpTIMYFlQg

I also remember watching the movie on YouTube, which is an expanded story on The Powerpuff Girls's birth, origins, and how they became loved in Townsville.

As for the anime…well, it isn't terrible, but I never got myself into enjoying it so much.

I've always loved the powerpuff girls when it was aired on Cartoon network so long ago. It was funny though, my cousins had more of a PPG fever than I ever did, It was actually kind of scary watching all three of them dress as a powerpuff girl as halloween... Though my favorite was blossom. x3

I never had a problem with Powerpuff Girls Z but I will admit that it's definitely not as memorable as the original show. Kind of took an awkward step into a "Lucky Star"-like show which wasn't the direction Craig envisioned.

As for the true PPG, watched it as a little kid and have been a fan since. Him is such a kickass villain.

I love the G1 powerpuff girls, it's one of my favorite series in the old days but they totally butchered G2 with the whole sexy lolicons and no story or character.

Blame it on Japan? To be fair, the original creators had no input on the production of that show. Plus, calling it G2 seems like a stretch as it's more of an adaptation for the Japanese market.

If it's any consolation, we're getting some new PPG stuff in the future. With some Ringo Starr thrown in there, doesn't that sound like something now?

I used to really love this show back then . I was never really a true AVID fan like I am of LPS or FIM. But I really did love this show. *Sighs* I used to remember watching Johnny Bravo, Cow and Chicken, Dexter's Lab and Powerpuff girls at my Grandfather's house in Kansas. (Never really had Cartoon Network at my house when I was a kid same with the Disney Channel)

Blame it on Japan? To be fair, the original creators had no input on the production of that show. Plus, calling it G2 seems like a stretch as it's more of an adaptation for the Japanese market.

If it's any consolation, we're getting some new PPG stuff in the future. With some Ringo Starr thrown in there, doesn't that sound like something now?

Pretty sure that CN holds the IP and they probably outsources the entire thing to japan to lower cost.They're making another new PPG series? who are the writers for the new series and when will it air?

They're making another new PPG series? who are the writers for the new series and when will it air?

Craig McCracken will be coming back, and sometime around 2013 for a release date. It actually appears to be a continuation of the original series, from what people have pieced together.

Pretty sure that CN holds the IP and they probably outsources the entire thing to japan to lower cost

Yeah, but they just wanted to cash in from the popularity of PPG in Japan specifically. Otherwise, it would of been seen a larger release in the west already.

Edited by SrFrog

On Reddit Genndy Tartakovsky who worked on The Powerpuff Girls also said that there was going to be a new PPG. I heard it was going air on September 13, 2013 but I'm not sure. I am really pumped about having Ringo Starr on the show that will bring some attension to it!

• 1 month later...

And this time, it's for real!

I'm not entirely sure how I feel about the new style yet. My current feelings are, "Oh God why didn't they just stick to the old style?". However, I'm not sure if that's just because this show was such a big part of my childhood and I don't want it to change, or because I genuinely dislike it.

I'm very interested to see where this will go. I really do hope it turns out well, I loved this show when I was younger, and I still love it now.

• Brohoof 6

@@Hansel,

The old style would cost too much to animate with modern standard framerate and it's cheaper to use new animation methods instead of outsourcing to china or India for non japanese anime shows.

I hope it stays politically incorrect with slight racist humor like the old PPG

• Brohoof 4

First impression: "Eh, the style's computer generated? Well, that isn't automatically a bad thing... but..."

And then I read the article.

Ringo Starr is voice acting in it.

And now I have to watch it and if it isn't good I am going to spend 8 hours screaming. 

Edited by Replicant
  • Brohoof 5

Hmm. I don't know how I feel about this. It could turn out very well, or it could be an utter catastrophe. We'll have to wait and see. The old voice actors are returning at least, and that is certainly a step in the right direction. As for the new art style, I like new Blossom, I'm neutral about new Bubbles, and I don't like new Buttercup. 

• Brohoof 1

*Looks at thread, joyed that old childhood show is coming back*

*Clicks on article, scrolls down to old/new comparison*

JEEZ LOUISE, WHAT THE F#CK?

Don't like the new animation, doesn't feel the same. BUT, I think I can adapt to it. Just need time.

Professor Untonium better still have his pipe too.

EDIT: Starting to get used to new animation, miss the old one.

Edited by DeltaTangent

Great land of Celestia!

They're back!

But, I do prefer the old design because, I grew up into Cartoons with the old one. It'll take some time for me to get used to the new design.

• Brohoof 2

I too have to take a wait and see attitude on this.  The design of the eyes harkens back to Craig McCracken's earliest drawings for what were then known as the Whoopass Girls.  So I like that feature.  But the rest of their bodies look wonky to me.  I'm eager to see how this turns out. 

I was expecting anime version like Powerpuff girls Z.

The new style is pretty in my honest opinion.

I'm not saying the old one is somehow bad or something, but I just like those sharp lines&geometric feeling.

Edited by Suntouched Coco
  • Brohoof 2

The new design of the girls could be so much worse people! What if they had fingers? Or normal sized heads and eyes? DIFFERENT COLORED OUTFITS, (even though the shoes aren't black anymore). Sure it's different, but I'm going to give this a chance anyway, it has the potential to be awesome, maybe even (dare I say it) better. I freaking loved the Powerpuff Girls when I was a little kid, loved it enough that I dressed up as Blossom one Halloween while my brother was Charmeleon. At least they have the original voices too. I wonder what the other characters will look like...

Ummm....the new looks look like....ew...I'm sorry, but they could have done a bit better with that...I mean it's freaking 2013!!! The old show, IMO, looks like they took time into what they did. The new one looks like they had a bunch of kids put paper together...

I don't know. I've always loved the PPG, but this new style kind of disturbs me...It just gives off a bad first impression to me. The art of the characters is what attracts me to animated shows, and it's what first grabbed my attention when I first saw MLP. Stuff like MAD or things that look like paper machet cutouts don't cut it for me. 

When I first heard about this, I really hoped some of the art directors from MLP would step up and do this. But, alas, my eyes have been disgraced with paper machet... I mean the old artwork just looks SOOOOOOO MUCH BETTER!!!!!   *sigh* I guess I'll give it a shot though when it airs. It is MLP and Tara did voice Bubbles in the old show. (Which reminds me, is she doing the voice acting again for this new show?)

• Brohoof 3

I reserve judgement until I see them in action and can view the entire special. However the fact that neither Craig nor Lauren are involved gives me some reservations about how this will turn out. I hope it turns out good though. Maybe it will be more of a tribute type of thing I dont know.

I loved the powerpuff girls. It would be nice to see them again, but I prefer the old style they used to have. I guess we'll just have to wait and see how it all plays out. After all, you can't judge a book by it's cover.

• Brohoof 1