Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Discord's original imprisoment

ggg-2

Why was Discord turned to stone, instead of being imprisoned in Tartarus? did Celestia and Luna just figure if they did imprison him in Tartarus, that he'd just use his powers to break right back out?

I  ...      .... actually don't have answer for that.  Hang on, that's a good question. 

That begs the questions did Celestia and Luna use the elements of harmony to originally banish Tirek? If they did - why turn just Discord to stone?

Discord was the first "villiean" princess Luna and celestia defeated. Tirek came after discord meaning several things changed . or they were just too lazy to banish discord.

Yeah, I think 'I can fuck with reality so your three-headed dog can't keep me nowhere, my dears' makes the most sense. Being turned to stone is the only way to keep Discord permanently contained, because he can't use those powers. As to how the choice was made, is up to the individual. It could have been what the sisters were aiming for, or, as I've seen a few headcanons explain, the Elements somehow know how to deal with each individual opponent they face. Knowing that Nightmare Moon was too far gone to be redeemed immediately following her corruption, thus putting her in the moon, knowing that she could be redeemed after a thousand years by their new wielders, knowing that petrification is the only way to contain Discord, etc.

• Brohoof 2

When Tirek was first imprisoned, he likely wasn't powerful enough to warrant the sisters using the elements. If he was that strong initially, he would have gone straight for their alicorn magic first instead of building his power up.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Then again why the Tartarus did Celestia keep a sleeping God of Chaos in her courtyard where little kids take their field trips? Discord broke free from his stone pretty easily. Equestria has horrible prison security for their Prime Evils...

Edited by Jammo

to keep Discord permanently contained

First things first this sentence is grammatically incorrect Discord as you should say me not your name, anyway now to the question at hand.

When it comes to the reason discord was imprisoned in stone is a simple fact, the magic discord uses is chaos magic only usable by the draconacus race, this magic is a very altering form of magic allowing him easy escape from and situation. This places the two sisters in a position making them half to imprison him in a way stopping him from using his magic. Thus the stone cage makes it so discord cannot move thus stopping him from using magic. 

Now to adress the note of Tirek here is why I think he was imprisoned the way he was. Tirek uses a form of magic based solely on taking of other ponies powers. Now as we see three alicorns can be held down in tartarus I would say that Tirek would be unable to leave. Now however here is always a small bit of magic that is in everything. An example of this is Cadence who was able to use a small amount of magic before gaining a horn. this is why when serberus left the gates to tartarus he used a small bit of magic to leave. 

For now there is two simple points why didn't Tirek attack till now and how powerful are the four alicorns together?

For the first point there is a very easy reason as to why Tirek waited. It simply boils down to the fact that he was not strong enough to collect power yet so he had to wait and gain energy. For the second point it is a little more complicated. As we see all of the alicorn power at a point gets put into Twilight giving her 4x the power of a normal alicorn. Tirek who has consumed all the rest of the power of all the ponies has become equal with twilight. by simple math this means that each alicorn given they each had the same amount of power is equal to 1/4 of all three of the pony races.

Sorry got carried away, remember this is all just speculation and is not necessarily cannon, I just thought I had some valid points.

See you in the Lunar Republic

~child of the night

(1594 characters!)

Discord broke free from his stone pretty easily

Actually this is very easily explained, simply the two sisters were no longer connected to the elements allowing the spell to slowly disintegrate.  This makes it easier for him to exit, and opposed to my previous post this is cannon!

I think a better question is... Why didn't they imprison Discord's statue form in Tartarus? I would figure that him being trap in stone as well a place in a place where no one can really interact with him would keep him at bay permanently. 

(edited)

Likely because they saw Discord as the greater threat and wanted fo keep their eye on him. Remember, Tirek was loose for two and a half seasons before anyone noticed. If Discord had been given that much time to set up his plans, the Mane 6 may have very well been unable to stop him.

Edited by GrifCannon

Discord is naturally the most powerful magical being in Equestria.  Tirek was able to become more powerful by draining enough magic.  He could be more easily neutralized (in theory at least).  Discord is so powerful that petrification didn't limit his awareness.  Remember when Twilight was petrified, she didn't remember anything that transpired during that time.

(edited)

I think a better question is... Why didn't they imprison Discord's statue form in Tartarus? I would figure that him being trap in stone as well a place in a place where no one can really interact with him would keep him at bay permanently.

I don't think this would have changed something. ;) Edited by Blobulle

I don't think this would have changed something. ;)

How wouldn't anything have changed? If Discord's statue form had been sent to Tartarus, with Cerberus guarding it, how would that not guarantee he would stay trapped in stone. He would literally have been left to be forgotten.  

How wouldn't anything have changed? If Discord's statue form had been sent to Tartarus, with Cerberus guarding it, how would that not guarantee he would stay trapped in stone. He would literally have been left to be forgotten.  

That's not necessarily true though.

Now, I know there's been some debate about how Discord was freed from his prison in the past, with some people saying the Cutie Mark Crusaders fighting released him, while others point out that Celestia explained how it turns out the Elements couldn't keep him trapped forever, since they now have new wielders and are no longer linked to Celestia or Luna.

I like to go with that second answer, so that means that Discord would've broken out inside of Tartarus. And let's face it, Cerberus would be no match for him, at least to our knowledge. Heck, since Discord would've still been evil too, he might even have released Tirek and any other monsters trapped there too, making matters even worse.

It was probably a blessing that Celestia and Luna kept him close by.

• Brohoof 1

As said, I don't think the CMC fighting helped Discord in any way.

The elements of harmony kept him stoned for a limited time (1000 years). So, him being in Tartarus or not wouldn't have changed anything at all in my opinion. :umad: