Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Derpy

ggg-2

(edited)

There exists an eye condition called "Strabismus", which makes it difficult for the eyes to align properly, with the result that stereoscopic vision and depth perception are hindered. in other words, Derpy hooves is an ACCURATE depiction of someone affected by this condition. so why all the celestia darn controversy?

Edited by ggg-2

It was her original voice that caused the shitstorm, her eyes just helped out by coincidence. The actor who did her was unaware that it was a mare she was voicing and used a little boys voice (based after her neighbor's son I do beleive iirc). This made her sound mentally challenged and added with her eyes only made it look that much worse. That's why everyone freaked out over her.

(edited)

Had nothing to do with her eyes. Her eyes are still not straight. It was the crap over her name and her voice that caused people to freak.

this article over on EqD is the best account I've seen, straight from the horse's mouth as it were.

http://www.equestriadaily.com/2012/02/amy-keating-rogers-response-to-derpy.html

tl;dr The writers and producers only knew fans were calling her "Derpy", not what that meant in internet slang terms, so they put it in an episode, and Tabitha St. Germain didn't know by the name "Derpy" who she was voicing, so she assumed it was a male character from the name and did a voice approximating the young son of a neighbour of hers. In short, a comedy of errors and misunderstandings all around.

Personally, I'd be thrilled if they went back to calling her Ditzy Doo and gave her another cameo voice role for a shot at redemption.

Edited by Red Cedar
  • Brohoof 2

I like her more feminine voice better, but that's it. I like her name and her crossed eyes. Why didn't anyone get offended by the barking pony in "Read it and Weep"? That's clearly some poor mentally/psychologically challenged pony who was laughed at.

• Brohoof 1

Had nothing to do with her eyes. Her eyes are still not straight. It was the crap over her name and her voice that caused people to freak.this article over on EqD is the best account I've seen, straight from the horse's mouth as it were.http://www.equestriadaily.com/2012/02/amy-keating-rogers-response-to-derpy.htmltl;dr The writers and producers only knew fans were calling her "Derpy", not what that meant in internet slang terms, so they put it in an episode, and Tabitha St. Germain didn't know by the name "Derpy" who she was voicing, so she assumed it was a male character from the name and did a voice approximating the young son of a neighbour of hers. In short, a comedy of errors and misunderstandings all around.Personally, I'd be thrilled if they went back to calling her Ditzy Doo and gave her another cameo voice role for a shot at redemption.

Thank you so much for linking that; I hadn't had the chance to read it until now

Don't think about it too much, people get offended by everything. It just so happens that the few self-rightetous asshat people going after Derpy were screaming real loud and the creators of the show rather cropped the character a bit than deal with them. Happens all the time, sadly.

• Brohoof 2