Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What if caffeine was banned in the US?

CosmicHooves

Sounds silly doesn't it?

This discussion has been brought up before outside these forums.

Caffeine is technically a drug.

It wakes me up in the morning every time I get my cup of coffee in the morning.

Too much caffeine is not healthy for you though.

It can kill you if you consume a ton of it.

Well what if caffeine was banned in the United States?

Here's what I think would happen:

post-25645-0-47348500-1400853741.jpg

• Brohoof 3

Even though caffeine doesn't effect me I really like coffee and decaf coffee tastes funny to me. I'd smuggle caffeine in from Mexico if it was banned in the US XD

A lot of people would become a lot heavier.  This would remove a lot of low calorie drinks which would end up being replaced by higher calorie equivalents. 

Well, as a coffee drinker, i can tell you that if caffeine were to be ban, then mostly likely everyone will flip.  However, it would be good to b/c people won't be going off the walls.  

Bad things would happen to everyone involved with the banning of caffiene.

Very bad things.

182975__safe_rarity_gun_vest_artist-tota

Love it..................but, i think she'll look better if she wore this:

rarity_in_the_marines_by_smiletherider-d

• Brohoof 4

You need look no further than recent history for your answer. Alcohol prohibition was a total disaster, despite the ban alcohol abuse increased dramatically. Much of the bootlegged liquor came from wood alcohol which is extremely toxic and many people got sick, became blind and even died from and because of the illegal nature of the business customers had no recourse for any of that. The multi billion dollar black market it created gave rise to powerful mafia crime families and inspired a disturbing amount of violence and we see history repeating itself once again with prohibition of drugs and will likely see much of the same if caffeine ended up being banned. 

• Brohoof 3

Considering the number of guns in the united states and the effects of caffeine withdrawal, the sky would rain blood. I know I get close to killing people if I haven't had at least one cup of coffee in the morning, so I imagine that after a week 90% of the population would be dead/severely wounded, and any non-coffee attempt to quell the situation would result in the "help" being viciously torn apart. Realizing the error of their ways, the surviving politicians would repeal the ban, resulting in the survivors consuming 53% of the world's coffee overnight, causing a spike in prices.

Let's just say...I would go alicorn OP on their butts and DEMAND THEM TO BRING BACK CAFFINE!!!

I don't actually drink coffee as much, just one or two every morning if I can. It's what gets me going...without it...well the day stretches on hours longer.

Then that would be pretty awefull, so many people would be so tired, in fact it is very possible that people would get "Illegal pop or coffee"

and then caffine would be included on the "war on drugs" thing.

I honestly wouldn't mind at all. I don't drink coffee at all so I wouldn't miss that. I drink a lot of Mountain Dew and the occasional energy drink but I only drink them for the taste since caffeine doesn't really have any affect on me at all

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Caffeine is no more of a drug than Ibuprofen. It has benefits. Any dangers are negligible if you're consuming a proper amount of it. Excess in anything is dangerous. Americans consume enough caffeine from coffee, tea, candy and who knows what else that if it hasn't killed us yet, it never will.

Edited by Discordian
  • Brohoof 1

If caffeine was banned in the US, people would start passing out in the streets and cars everywhere would be swerving erratically. It would be anarchy!  :o

Maybe that's an exaggeration, but think about how much is consumed in America on a daily basis. Go observe or ask the average person and he'll probably comment that he can't function properly or think clearly early in the morning until he has his first cup of coffee. Those who don't drink coffee may substitute a soda or something, the point being that people depend upon it. I see and hear it at work all the time. Caffeine isn't cocaine or anything, people will survive and adapt to not having it. Expect the first few weeks to be filled with headaches and irritability, which harmless enough for each person individually, could culminate in a few arguments and fights with everyone in the country afflicted together. Mass hysteria? Unlikely. Arguments and the occasional punch from someone who already has a short temper? Wouldn't surprise me.

Soda, coffee, and tea contain most of our caffeine supply. You can find it in other things though, like chocolate and certain headache remedies. Removing caffeine from everything containing it could have a pretty big economic impact if the companies making these things had to start filtering the caffeine that naturally occurs in their products. Not only that, but decaffeinated coffee tastes different (most people aren't as fond of it) which could hurt sales, and headache medicines using it would be less effectual unless something can be substituted for it.

• Brohoof 2

*Begins hoarding green tea bags and ground coffee just in case.*  Remember that whole prohibition thing that took place back in 1920?  That was a roaring success, rightRIGHT??!?  It's never going to happen, obviously.  But, if it did, it wouldn't "work" lol.  Also, there are two caffeinated drinks that are said to have potential health benefits: tea and coffee.  Don't tell me the latter doesn't; coffee is loaded with antioxidants, too.  Moderation in all things except ponies.  Even though this won't ever happen either, I'd understand (and more easily cope with) the ban of caffeinated soda / energy drinks (as I don't consume either).  But take away caffeinated tea and coffee!??!  Are you trying to start World War III?

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

*gets in car and rolls down window for a cold burst of air* the cold is suppose to wake you up it does for me every morning for school :D.

(besides coffee that is)

Edited by Bronychan1214
  • Brohoof 1

That would be very bad, and it would hurt a lot of business too, some of the biggest things right now is starbucks and Dutch Bros over here and a lot of people love/need coffee! haha ... very bad idea!