Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

The Board Game Discussion Thread

Stancet

Milky Jade, on 20 Aug 2014 - 8:03 PM, said: Oh, does anyone know Munchkin?   It's a game that could turn your friends into enemies by necessity   If you had any   We played Munchkin once on our Saturday board-game meetup and then never again. We just got too mad and by the end nobody was actually having fun, haha...

That sounds like my kind of game... maybe I should look it up :P My friends and I make it a sport to try to manipulate each-other. 

@@TenorSounds,

In a way this game deliberately omits rule specifications such that people would fight over them

From: http://www.worldofmunchkin.com/rules/munchkin_rules.pdf

"(...) Any other disputes should be settled by loud arguments, with the owner of the game having the last word. You could also read the Munchkin FAQ and errata pages at www.worldofmunchkin.com, or start a discussion at forums.sjgames.com . . . unless it's more fun to argue."

In a way this game deliberately omits rule specifications such that people would fight over them

From: http://www.worldofmunchkin.com/rules/munchkin_rules.pdf

"(...) Any other disputes should be settled by loud arguments, with the owner of the game having the last word. You could also read the Munchkin FAQ and errata pages at www.worldofmunchkin.com, or start a discussion at forums.sjgames.com . . . unless it's more fun to argue."

Well it wasn't the arguing so much as how goddamned long it took; every turn took 30 min because everyone was always trying to screw the other players over every second they could and it just wasn't fun after awhile. We might have also tried with too many people, but I don't see my group asking to play it again anytime soon.

@@TenorSounds,

It's best played with 3-4 people, just like MtG (imo)

If it's just 2, there is no concept of 'aggressor', 'fraternizing' and 'backstabbing'

Properties of games that people never fail to undervalue

Obligatory

I'm sorry, it just is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wEVSahgCegk

Edited by Milky Jade
  • Brohoof 1

Twilight Imperium will be (without a doubt) the hardest board game I've ever taught myself. I've skimmed through the rules and understand bits and pieces and the overall design is brilliant. Some of the rules seem contradictory and I'm not saying that because I don't understand. I do, however, see what an experience it will be if I can figure it out.

Twilight-imperium-layout_12.jpg

Geez, one and a half days of nothing but rules rules rules, but I've almost figured it out. Twilight Imperium IS quite an impressive game. 

Combines the very best of American and Euro style games.

• Brohoof 1

I just played my first round of Twilight Imperium. OH MY GOSH! That game was exhausting. There was so much to do and so much to keep track of. I've never played a game quite like it, but I realize it will take some getting used to. It is an excellent game. Definitely better then Settlers of Catan ever was.

Meh. I didn't play much board games before, but i liked monopoly.

No... get rid of Monopoly and play Puerto Rico instead  :P . A much better business themed game.

Alright... I am in the middle of playing my second round of Twilight Imperium... and it IS AWESOME! It's a hassle to learn and hard to teach but it has the amazing experience of managing and controlling empires in space. Me and my brothers have only played 3 rounds in 3 hours or so. We can expect as many as 10 rounds before one of us conquers the galaxy and claims the throne. I've gone through a steep learning curve but I highly recommend this game to anything this theme might appeal to.

• Brohoof 1

I was interested in strategic board wargames some time ago. I played Combat Commander with my friends but it quickly became boring to them so actually I have nobody to play with.

Finding people to play your games with is hard. That's why I'm going to create a club at my local library. Hopefully all goes according to plan.

I don't play boardgames often now, but I love checkers, and I'm such a beast at it! The rules are simple, and you need food strategy, this is awesome. There is also stratego that I like, but I prefer games with simpler rules. I also like these games where you pick a card and everyone needs to find the object on a picture.

And I'm curious, maybe you can tell me a game that I'll like...

Movie: Gran Torino and One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest.

Book: 1984, Animal Farm, Les Miserables.

Video Game: Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Blue Rescue Team.

Mostly, the biggest problem is to find someone to play with... And remember, you need food strategy.

Edited by GhostPony750

Mostly, the biggest problem is to find someone to play with...

I think part of that problem is that most people don't give board games a chance. If you have gamer friends, it might be a good idea to discribe a more complex board game as if it was a video game. If we look at that game the OP is playing... yeah, sounds like a video game to me, even though it isn't. It gets me psyched to try it myself. 

• Brohoof 1

I don't play boardgames often now, but I love checkers, and I'm such a beast at it! The rules are simple, and you need food strategy, this is awesome. There is also stratego that I like, but I prefer games with simpler rules. I also like these games where you pick a card and everyone needs to find the object on a picture.

And I'm curious, maybe you can tell me a game that I'll like...

Movie: Gran Torino and One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest.

Book: 1984, Animal Farm, Les Miserables.

Video Game: Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Blue Rescue Team.

Mostly, the biggest problem is to find someone to play with... And remember, you need food strategy.

If you like checkers, there are modern adaptions of this game like Yinsh and Tzaar. But if you want something a little more theme-heavy, there's a newer game called Tash-Kalaar. It's a game about warriors in a battle area, except it plays like checkers. And since you like Animal Farm, there is a Euro game called Agricola about managing a farm (although, I know it lacks the drama that the book had). 

• Brohoof 1

Oh, we (plural system) used to play board/card games with our family all the time when we were young. LIFE, Monopoly, Clue, Uno, Chess, Checkers, Chinese Checkers, Stratego, Risk.. though these days we really only play Poker and The Lord of the Rings, which is a really fun board game for LOTR fans composed of several boards. We especially like it because we (in our system) can work as a team of five against the game. The longer you linger on each board, the worse it gets.

We also made a couple humor-based board games in our teen years, and we've been wanting to try 1,000 Blank White Cards lately.

Though we never got to try any D&D board games.. we still need to get around to that.

• Brohoof 1