Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why are extroverts harder to read than introverts? [Random Musings]

Hashi

Is it just me?
I have always been able to read introverts like a book but extroverts, their face seem rather blank / barrierlike to me. I have no idea whether this is due to a similar personality type (I'm an introvert) or some other psychological thing but it is rather odd to not be able to read both the same way. Are there any reasons for this or is it just lack of experience or something?
#Musings

If you ask me some people are just predictable.

Extroverts seem to adapt to other people and situation so they have some extra modifiers.

:o

My one million dollars.

-_-

• Brohoof 1

Maybe it's cause extroverts have nothing to hide, y'know, what with them being extroverts n'all? :derp:

On a more serious note, I do think it has something to do with their predictability, which leads me to the idea that perhaps if they tended not to keep things hidden then you'd tend not to see them as they are as a whole in every emotional state of being, thus making them harder to read.

The human eye is supposedly able to learn to recognise emotions from the way people's facial expressions change when in different states of emotion, perhaps this is also a possible explanation as to why you might be finding it a tad more difficult? :huh:

Maybe it's cause extroverts have nothing to hide, y'know, what with them being extroverts n'all? :derp:

On a more serious note, I do think it has something to do with their predictability, which leads me to the idea that perhaps if they tended not to keep things hidden then you'd tend not to see them as they are as a whole in every emotional state of being, thus making them harder to read.

The human eye is supposedly able to learn to recognise emotions from the way people's facial expressions change when in different states of emotion, perhaps this is also a possible explanation as to why you might be finding it a tad more difficult? :huh:

Are you saying I should get out more? xD

(edited)

It could be because the introverts that you are exposed to are extreme extroverts, and in trying to mask their emotions, they only make them that much clearer so it is easier to read.

Or it could be because extroverts are continuously modifying their facial expression sub consciously in accordance with adapting to their social environment.

It could also be due to the fact that extroverts are normally openly showing emotion, so subtle emotional cues that you might pick up on go unnoticed due to them being extroverted. And since introverts rarely show external emotion, it is easier to pick up on those subtle emotional change cues as they are normally not showing any. Kind of a sensory overload deal. You don't smell the gasoline at the garbage plant, but in a empty concrete room it reeks.

Edited by Miaq_The_Truthful

it could be because you don't need to read an extrovert, they'll tell you how they're feeling XD

i cant say ive noticed a link between an introversion and readability though, like my best friend is an introvert, whereas im an extrovert, and we're both impossible to read, could be something to do with us both playing our fair share of poker though XD

(edited)

And here I was thinking it was the other way around. But then again, I'm just not good with dealing with people. Ironic though because I like hanging out with them.

Edited by Star Ruby

Extroverts might have way more to hide than introverts. In spiritual philosophy, focusing on external things and other people can be a means for avoiding one's own inner state.

I guess a good test to see whether this applies is to have an extrovert sit in an empty room in total silence with no distractions and see how they manage.

I don't know whether anyone has done isolation tests like this with separate introvert and extrovert groups. I might have to investigate, because this could shed more light on whether extroversion is just a different 'style of being' or in fact constituting a different point in spiritual evolution.

I've always thought extroverts were the ones that were easier to read and introverts harder to read. I can't see why introverts would be easier to read than extroverts. Maybe it's just you, maybe you're just better at reading introverts because of your own personality type rather than because extroverts are actually harder to read.

I feel like I can also read introverts pretty well, but I can also read extroverts most of the time too. My own experience, and every single personality profile I've ever taken, have always shown me as being pretty balanced between intro- and extroversion. I lean towards introversion though. I think this comes as an advantage and a disadvantage.

Pros: I can easily assimilate with the feel of a group. I can hang out with introverts and extroverts whenever and I'm not too bothered. I'm able to stay level-headed and keep my emotions pretty controlled and private. I'm a great listener and can give honest advice!

Cons: I don't get extremely excited or happy about things either. I come off as cold and calculating. I often am excluded from stuff because I don't get involved unless I'm requested to by others, so I'm often doing my own thing while everyone else is hanging out with each other.

Maybe it's easier to read people with your similar personality because you have seen their body language, facial cues, emotions, and overall reaction in yourself?

• Brohoof 1

It could be because you relate to introverts a bit more which makes them easier for you to understand. Everyone hides something whether they are an introvert or extrovert, it is a basic defense mechanism against incrimination although some people hide more than others do and it isn't always because they are introverted.

I'm an Introvert myself ( INFJ, also got slapped with title of "having Aspergers " from some shrinks back 13 yrs ago ), but I have a much easier time reading most Extroverts, it's other Introverts that can be the tricky ones for me sometimes.

I believe it's because extroverts thrive on popularity, attention, and mostly other people. If they have a weakness, well, they should probably hide it, because it might make them less well-liked and they need to be well-liked to be happy and content with themselves. While Introverts, well, most of them seem to care less about what other people think, so they just display their emotions for everyone to see. That might not make much sense but it does to me? :P

I believe it's because extroverts thrive on popularity, attention, and mostly other people. If they have a weakness, well, they should probably hide it, because it might make them less well-liked and they need to be well-liked to be happy and content with themselves. While Introverts, well, most of them seem to care less about what other people think, so they just display their emotions for everyone to see. That might not make much sense but it does to me? :P

That is well-said and a thesis I would agree on. There of course are always exceptions to a norm and also variations depending on the situation, but generally speaking this could be an explanation.

(edited)

I honestly think it varies from person-to-person, but actually from experience, I find it harder to read introverts than I do extroverts!! I know it does sound strange, but maybe it's cause I tend to be more extroverted myself at times, and maybe I can relate. Who knows, maybe if you're one side of the social scale you'll have a hard time reading the other. That's just my two cents anyhow!  :catface:

Edited by The Golden Cross

I honestly think it varies from person-to-person, but actually from experience, I find it harder to read introverts than I do extroverts!! I know it does sound strange, but maybe it's cause I tend to be more extroverted myself at times, and maybe I can relate. Who knows, maybe if you're one side of the social scale you'll have a hard time reading the other. That's just my two cents anyhow!  :catface:

But are you sure you're reading their inside and not their outside?

Maybe people even have different ideas of what reading means in this context.

But are you sure you're reading their inside and not their outside?

Maybe people even have different ideas of what reading means in this context.

Even when it comes to reading the inside and not the outside, my point remains the same. I think it's easier for an introvert to read other introverts much easier, and so on.  ;)