Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why Are Bronies Disliked?

Aureity

Another reason the adult fanbase is so hated is the r34. But every fandom has to deal with that. But some people also assume that bronies are pedos. Which makes me angry :angry:

• Brohoof 2

Another reason the adult fanbase is so hated is the r34. But every fandom has to deal with that. But some people also assume that bronies are pedos. Which makes me angry :angry:

This is another thing I am hearing quite a lot of and it is pissing me off to no end. Just because we watch a show called My Little Pony does not automatically mean we are pedos

This is another thing I am hearing quite a lot of and it is pissing me off to no end. Just because we watch a show called My Little Pony does not automatically mean we are pedos

Especially since some of us (like me) aren't even teenagers yet. Some people think I fake that I'm twelve just to make my word seem more valid, even though being twelve isn't exactly a walk in the park concerning stereotypes.

• Brohoof 2

Society in a nutshell.

To society, it isn't considered 'normal' to watch a show like this. When the term brony comes up, they automatically think 'OMG IT'S SO PINK THE SHOW'S GAY WHY ARE THEY WATCHING THIS?!' They just don't give the show a chance, and just assume that bronies are  gay people with no lives or smarts. 

I know plenty of bronies who are smarter then people who don't watch the show. Is it that bad that we watch MLP?  Just because we watch ponies, doesn't mean we're gay. They don't give the fandom or show a chance, which leads to misconceptions about us. They have never even watched the show, so who are they to judge? I hate how people seperate people from them because of what they like. Who the hell cares? We're good, smart people, and ponies doesn't change anything about that. It's a show that makes us happy, and we're proud to watch it. 

People are so quick to judge. We're all the same people, living under the same sky. MLP doesn't make us different in any way. If they truly don't like the show, fine. But they don't have to be so hateful or negative about it. You like what you like. 

I find it quite disturbing when I see/hear stories of people whose parents mock their kids for watching a show that has morals.
I find it even more disturbing when parents tell their kids to "be themselves" and "don't let other people shape who you are" yet when ponies get mentioned their message takes a 360 and it's no longer "be yourself" as much as it's now "do you see other people watching that?"

^ Totally agree. Really sad. My parents don't really mind, but I bet if I were a boy it'd be a different story.....but anyways, to all haters: Let us bronies be. We won't bother you, you don't bother us. 

• Brohoof 3

It is a tad hypocritical though that no other fandom at least that I am aware of is so universally accused of being into the fandom for purely sexual reasons as bronies. Not even Pokemon has that sort of reputation and they are one of the fandoms with the largest amount of rule 34 material.

I've been wondering the same thing for a while, and for the most part, its what made me apprehensive towards the show in the first place. But I have a LOT of friends who are bronys and I've never had a problem with them, but I see how they're treated, and I just think: Its not fair! People shouldn't automaticly judge something when they don't even understand it! And my friends are genuinely nice people, there's nothing wrong with them! I just wish i could find some way to break it to my own family that im a brony :/

^ Oh yeah

Yes my parents actually mentioned  about people who watch this show and like it MUST be pedo's. Pedophiles watch everything not just MLP. Why i bet even they like watching shows my parents like as well does that make them pedophiles too? No! So why does that change when the subject is on ponies?

• Brohoof 1

Why? Because we're different, and society's first instinct when reacting to the unknown is usually aversion, and aversion usually escalates to hatred whenever something breaks societal taboos (Which are in themselves ever-changing. 100 years ago MLP would have been considered a much more "macho" show. Bronies would've been a non-issue back then.)

However, I do believe that the hate we receive in society is overblown. Which works well for us, let me explain...

In terms of bronies vs. society, I think society can be broken up into three groups: Us, the haters, and everyone else. We number in the several-millions. Haters (and I mean true, virulent haters) probably number in the few thousands, it's just that they are very vocal, and have a lot of followers who might just be following the crowd and don't understand what they hate. Case in point: Look at any anti-MLP video on Youtube, and look at the likes-to-dislikes ratio. We have many more people on our side than the haters.

With that said, I think the vast majority of people fall into the third category. They might not understand us, but they don't hate either. A lot are probably curious, too! Maybe I'm optimistic, but I always hope that the first feelings a non-brony/non-hater gets when they see something pony-related is a healthy curiosity. That's lots of hearts and minds for us to win over, we just need to put the effort in to do so.

Edited by StratoPegasus
  • Brohoof 8

• 1 month later...
(edited)

My perspective as to why ppl hate bronies is simple. I believe that they fear sumthing they dont understand and if we can work together to  ppl to understand the hate will get smaller and smaller.   let me know what you guys think ok

Edited by COBALT CRESCENT
  • Brohoof 8

very true. They are also jealous of people being happy while they live out thier miserable hate filled lives.... ignore them. or throw 2 week old cakes at them or secretly wish they get perma-stuck inside a sticky shoney's restaurant being stuck to the tables. 

• Brohoof 3

whenever there is something that someone likes, there will be someone who dislikes it

a lot of bronies are far too gung ho and rub people the wrong way, often times they make the haters due to their over zealous nature

and other times its dicks being dicks

• Brohoof 1

I honestly think its because they think we are weak. But in reality, we aren't.

The brony community has grown so much over a short period of time. And will continue to get bigger as long as we don't let the haters get to us. Iv dealt with numerous haters and just learned to ignore them, the more you reply/respond to them the more you are feeding them to come back for more. /)

No. The biggest treason why a lot of people don't like us is that we used to, and still occasionally do, try to cram ponies down peoples' throats; if they don't like the show, they can never be looked at again.

But however, your reason is true too.

• Brohoof 6

"Bronys are noobs that are immature, gay, and need to group up and quit dressing like little girls and going to those stupid cosmic cons"

That is the stereotype of Bronys, which isn't entirely true, but that is what haters base things off of. People will hate anything as long as it has even the slightest of reasoning.

The main reason is because they JUST DON'T UNDERSTAND.... So they call us Gay, or homo, as a way of justifying their hate on us.... But the simple truth is that they hate themselves.... They hate that they dont have the NUTS to try MLP.... They scared of us bro.... scared cause bronies will take over the WORLD!!!

• Brohoof 5

You can't even talk about haters anymore. They're essentially nonexistent.

Two years ago people were banned from sites, sent emails and messages containing threats, images, and other things, and were hardly even acknowledged positively on the internet. 

Now all you get is the 7th grader on Youtube thinking he's funny and cool, or the guy from 4chan who still harbors his hatred from forever ago.

• Brohoof 8

(edited)

Think about it for a second. When I first heard about what bronies and what they were I thought they were very weird too. Hearing that grown males like a show that was meant for little girls is really easy to laugh at. However most people only hear that much and automatically assume we are a bunch pedophiles/etc. But the one thing most people do not understand is the reason why we like the show. You see everyone thinks bronies like the older generations of MLP *no hate to those who do like it*. If they actually sat down and watched an episode most of them would understand why we love it.

Some bronies though that I have seen take the show way way to seriously though. Like I saw this one video were a group of bronies were marching through the streets and making a fool of themselves *you may know what I am talking about*. But for those haters that hate us for no particular reason are fools. 

Edited by Gone ϟ Airbourne
  • Brohoof 3

(edited)

I think it's because it's some...well...different.

It's not the norm.

It's out of the ordinary.

It's not what people are used to.

And some people can't stand it for some reason. Why they don't want us to just enjoy a television show I don't know...

Or...they could just be a bunch of pricks.

Edited by Wubsie
  • Brohoof 2

I never force it..... if people give me crap for posting pony stuff on facebook I simply politely tell them to ignore me, unfollow me, or unfriend me if they don't like my pony stuff I post. 

The number one reason why haters hate us is because they are ignorant of the fact that we are very open people. They try to beat us down with defenseless arguments containing nothing but pitiful fallacies that do nothing but make them look foolish and stupid. 

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

People that think Bronies are gay and lame are people that are immersed in some sort of cartoon culture in a way. Whether they watch transformers or DBZ, you're free to watch anything you want just as long as you're not watching anything that falls under the shows meant for girls. There were some exceptions that these people pardoned such as Sailor Moon or other magical girl cartoon, most just shook their heads but don't act as inflammatory to the people that watch them.

What they can't tolerate is the men that watch any American Cartoons that were meant for little girls and nothing but little girls, the kind that got buried in their heads as children as nothing but "girl shows" and if you cross that threshold that's the last straw for your manhood. American culture did some brainwashing to people that girls play with pink frilly toys and watch ponies, men play with TMNT/GIJoe toys and watch explosions. That part of the programming is still lingering in U.S. men nowadays. Sailor Moon and other magical girl cartoons were not embedded into their minds on the other hand.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUObdCW6n-0

A video clip about it. Putting a dress on the boy was completely unnecessary though.

Edited by poniesforfun

I honestly think its because they think we are weak. But in reality, we aren't.

The brony community has grown so much over a short period of time. And will continue to get bigger as long as we don't let the haters get to us. Iv dealt with numerous haters and just learned to ignore them, the more you reply/respond to them the more you are feeding them to come back for more. /)

There's complete meathead metalheads that are as manly as can be that are bronies....  

and my hubby loves MLP and loves most anything about it. he loves Pinkiepie and any of the trolly ponies as well.

• Brohoof 1

Haters will unfortunately always find something or someone to hate because they feel insecure about themselves and project their sense of inadequacy onto other people because they think the only way to lift themselves up is to tear other people down.

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

To quote my favourite post on the entire forums right now...

The best things to be done to improve the fandom would be...

(01) Stop all the talk of "Coming out as a Brony.". It's just a cartoon, get a grip people! How do you dare compare it to the emotional pain and drama of coming out as homosexual or lesbian to your family and friends? Keep this firmly in mind. One is your life, the other is a 22 minute show on TV, that nobody really cares if you watch or not! There is no other show on TV that people feel this asinine need to "Confess" that they watch. "Oh, woe is me! How do I come out and tell people that I watch NCIS, and Adventure Time?"

(02) Put an end to the "How can I force others to like something because I like it?" The way a lot of Bronies cram the show down the throats of everyone they meet is what started people thinking there is something wrong with the fandom in the first place! 

Of course, not the only reasons why bronies are frowned upon.

I can say that we're not immature, though from the other point of view, hating on us is just as immature.

Edited by Sunset Spark
  • Brohoof 1