Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why Are Bronies Disliked?

Aureity

Everybody's going to hate something just because they don't approve it, like the anti-brony websites. We can't make them go away simply with a snap of the finger. They want to get to us because they don't approve with our choices of watching this show and taking part of the activities, like drawing, creating fan music and going to fan conventions. It's best to ignore them. Let them figure this show out by themselves.

(edited)

I'll address the whole 'sorting through the pony crap' argument now. On the surface, it sounds like a valid argument. HOWEVER...

Youtube (I'm pretty sure that's what (s)he's talking about), has millions if not, billions of videos on its site. There are literally too many to count. I mean, I know I joked about seeing ponies all the time in my FiM review, but in reality, pony videos make up less than one tenth of one percent of the content on that site. I just have trouble believing that he would hit pages and pages of it so consistently without specifically looking for it, when I can type in virtually anything and not get a single one.

And if you're talking about the Internet in general, the same applies, except it's even less likely (probably 1/100th of 1 percent, if that). I'm not knocking the person that posted that remark. I just find it bizarre that he or she keeps running into pony material out of pure coincidence.

Now for the masculinity argument. It just isn't true. Seriously, for every person that actually openly admits they're a brony, there's at least 10 that are afraid to. Trust me, I met a few and it took them forever to just open up to me.

As for the people that shove it into others' faces. Yeah, I met a few and believe me, they're just as annoying to bronies as they are to non-bronies. But they're a minority, if you ask me.

Edited by SBaby

Everybody's going to hate something just because they don't approve it, like the anti-brony websites. We can't make them go away simply with a snap of the finger. They want to get to us because they don't approve with our choices of watching this show and taking part of the activities, like drawing, creating fan music and going to fan conventions. It's best to ignore them. Let them figure this show out by themselves.

That is not true, You can dissaprove of something but not hate it.

I dissaprove of bronies spamming, But i do not hate them.

It is good to try and ignore it... But isn't it better to try and help it? I am not a brony, Yet i am fighting for them. Funny isn't it?

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Huh. I actually agree with this argument. I don't usually go out of my way to shove any Brony related material in any of my friends, associates or families faces but I have known people to do that. And it's most thanks to them that when ever I mention in passing to people I know any knowledge pertaining to Brony's, they tend to laugh or give judgmental eyes that peer straight in my direction.

It's a little maddening to see this stuff out there like this to be truthful. I get that a great amount of people want to spread this out in a rapid pace to bring as many people into the fold and enjoy it with them, but that tends to push people in the direction of seeing this in a negative stance. It's almost like seeing those Mormons come up to your doors often enough and ask you to take your time to come over in hopes of conversion to their religion. No I have not hate on Mormons and I have always tolerated them; that does not excuse people to shove things down your throats in a manner that negates what you were trying to accomplish in the first place.

That's why whenever I talk to friends or if the show were to ever come up in a conversation I wouldn't go out of my way to prove the shows "greatness" or show any fanaticism in regards to the show. Instead I would talk about it in an appropriate manner about the topic. Sometimes I would show off my art or see if they're interested in watching anything to it, but I would never try to cram it in their faces.

I prefer to show people the show in a pleasant manner befitting of a Brony, instead of how others tend to in their perspective sights, "Take my forceful love and slam it into your soon to be noggin' full of jam packed erratic colors, ponies and Bronys! May the Great Celestia compel you!"

Edited by Hazardus_Havard

(edited)

This fandom will always have that stigma because many don't consider it a social norm that grown men enjoy a cartoon which was originally intended as a animated advertisment focused towards young girls to buy hasbro's toys.

My personal problems with the fandom mostly stems from public displays which I personally find very, very akward. I'd be quite embarassed if my friend began to sing a MLP aloud in a public area.

I'm rather tame when it comes to my enjoyment of the fandom. I technically don't like being refered as a "Brony" because I'm just a fan and really don't care for titles. I've never needed a title for other shows I've enjoyed so I apply the same principle for MLP, but sadly it's a title you really can't escape once you've displayed your enjoyment for ponies so it's a title I begrudgingly carry. I don't mind others who like to be identified as such but it's something that I'd apply to the hardcore fans.

Edited by Broadcaster

(edited)

The good news is that if the fandom sticks around, haters will probably disappear into the next big thing. That's what happened with Pokemon, and if G4 is gonna be here for awhile, then that'll eventually happen with FiM.

Edited by SBaby

I can understand why someone would be irritated by certain types of bronies. If anyone was to be in-your-facey about anything they liked, the recipient of this behavior would understandably see their patience whittle away. But in my eyes the taboo of liking MLP in the first place is the cornerstone of the dislike for the fans. Every fanbase has its lunatic fanatics. The strong haters of bronies overemphasize the worse side of the fanbase because they do not want to view the notion of people out of MLP's target audience watching the show in any sort of positive light.

I hypothesize that were there not such a taboo, there would be less emphasis, perhaps a negligible amount, on the extreme fans. There are probably even some of the more extreme fans who would have been a lot more rational had there not been such extreme ostracization from over-the-top haters. Pushing one off the deep end, you could say.

In general, though, is the MLP fanbase inundating the internet? That can't be denied. But a lot of dams have been constructed, and by now it's easier to have an internet experience with a small amount of ponies if you don't go to places that are obviously pony. This site, for instance, is one you'd only stumble across if you were to outright look for pony sites.

People are free to think what they want of MLP, like they are of any other franchise. No human is 100% identical in taste: No one will like everything you like and are guaranteed to like something you don't. But what's the use in provoking strife? The non-in-your-face bronies are kind and accepting people who are happy enjoying their show, and have it not define themselves but rather have it as a facet of their personality. If they aren't shoving it down anyone's throat, then why feel bothered? It benefits no one.

Yeah...I know I'm probably going to get flame over this, so before I post let me just say these are NOT my views, they are the views of a few close friends I have who do not like bronies.

So why do some people find bronies annoying? I wondered that myself every day, as my friends started laughing every time I made a mlp reference. They smirked whenever I trawled the forums in my spare time (at school), and they poked holes with their pencils in my mlp doodles. Rather than get angry at them, however, I wondered Why? I searched up a few anti-brony websites just to figure out why some people hate bronies so much.

The result was actually quite surprising. Yes, some people hate bronies because they are homophobes and afraid to even look at something that seems slightly "queer" to them. It's definitely true, and there will always be people like that. But most of the people who dislike bronies (dislike not being fanatical hate, that's usually the homophobic rascists) dislike them for another reason-they simply don't like how bronies shove mlp into their faces.

According to one person, whose name I forgot, "It's not like I ("I" referring to the person who said the quote, not me) actually have anything against ponies. You can watch your show all you want for all I care, we all have something I like. It's just the amount of pony-related crap I go through all the time. It's everywhere on the internet, I can't go three feet without something pony-related being shove into my face. And when I try to tell them to quit it, they call me a hater."

Another quote I remember is "Bronies claim that they're (the guys at least) are just as masculine, and more secure about their masculinity, because they watch ponies and aren't afraid to show it. But that's actually rather hypocritical. If they felt so secure, they wouldn't feel the need to announce to the world that they like ponies. Look at all the coming-out stories. No one CARES. If you felt so secure about your position, you wouldn't feel the need to have to tell the entire world."

So what do you think about this, fellow bronies?

I have posted this before in this forums but let me do it again.

By unironically enjoying a show that is 'supposed' to be for little girls, bronies are challenging what constitutes masculinity (homophobes do not understand)

I can't understand how people can think that it's "Showed down their throats". I'm a really new brony and hadn't heard about MLP:FiM until just about 1-2 months ago. I saw one thread on one forum were they discussed why there were so many fans. But I didn't see any pictures, any youtube videos not anything. And I'm searching around the web quite a lot. The first time I even saw how a pony looked like was when I watched the first episode.

So I think like some others here that they either have bad luck and happens to stumble on to pony stuff quite often, but I really don't believe that it could be that many times. It's just that if you're in a forum and someone posts a picture of a pony they become angry and feel like it's being showed down their throats. Really I think that like some other said that they are looking up the material just to criticize. Just look at all the trolls on youtube, why would they even click on a video if they didn't want to watch it?! It's one thing seeing an image, often you can't help seeing it. But a video for crying out loud. You have to click on a video to watch it. They are as said trolls, don't argue with them. I like to think about this quote:

"Don't argue with idiots. They'll take you down to their level and beat you with experience."

So just stop feeding the parasprites, ok? :)

And yeah, we need to accept that there are people that don't want to watch the show or hear anything about it. And if you have a person like that around you, you'll probably know it and if you do, stop talking about MLP with them! If they want to talk about it, they'll ask you. And if you feel the need to discuss something on the show with someone, that's what we're here for :)

Well people dont like change and things that are different sometimes and stereotypes say that mostly little girls like ponys, so when people find out that a full grown man is watchin it they think its weird (only natural) and when you insist tons of other men watch it tthey are like "wut?" and then when you start pushing it in their face they get annoyed.

• Brohoof 1

I personally hated all who liked or said they where a bronys simple cuz the show was about ponys. But sadly I was so quick the Judge that I forgot the most important thing of all never judge a book by its cover.

An for that I feel most see my little pony an before thinking hey that could be somthing good they think ewww girly ponys.

Due to the fact that most think my little pony is girly they see in there minds old my little pony. But knowing this there afrade to try it doe to being judged on there sexuality. Iv had multiple fights with ppl who think there going to walk up an say I'm gay for watching my little pony.

It's more less the time an age we are in. If you have ever been called gay in school it gets very hairy very fast when it happens you see most stay away from you (again if there seen hanging with the gay kid/girl they will be judged as well.

Putting it all togeather its just profiling an not opening you mind to bigger things that scares most away. For those who do embrace brony hood they hind a grate story an a good family on the forums:)

I can't understand how people can think that it's "Showed down their throats".

That's weird how you never saw any of it...

I remember long before I became a brony or even knew bronies existed, I was very active on a small Terraria server forum (worked my way up to becoming lead admin just to have the server permanently shut down 2 days later, but back on topic.)

One day someone joined the forum and uploaded an avatar of Twilight Sparkle. To my surprise it was a 17 year old boy. When I questioned about his avatar, his immediate response was to spam me with youtube videos, pictures about not hating, and facts about why he thought FiM was 20% cooler than everything else.

I think that most bronies don't just go around shoving pony facts down people's throats, but once anyone says something about ponies, their first response is to defend the show and why they love it.

IDK, I just remember seeing a lot of bronies spitting out facts to people who really don't care, and then those people who don't care turn into haters because the bronies won't leave them alone.

Maybe that was just my experience...

(edited)

Yeah...I know I'm probably going to get flame over this, so before I post let me just say these are NOT my views, they are the views of a few close friends I have who do not like bronies.

So why do some people find bronies annoying? I wondered that myself every day, as my friends started laughing every time I made a mlp reference. They smirked whenever I trawled the forums in my spare time (at school), and they poked holes with their pencils in my mlp doodles. Rather than get angry at them, however, I wondered Why? I searched up a few anti-brony websites just to figure out why some people hate bronies so much.

The result was actually quite surprising. Yes, some people hate bronies because they are homophobes and afraid to even look at something that seems slightly "queer" to them. It's definitely true, and there will always be people like that. But most of the people who dislike bronies (dislike not being fanatical hate, that's usually the homophobic rascists) dislike them for another reason-they simply don't like how bronies shove mlp into their faces.

According to one person, whose name I forgot, "It's not like I ("I" referring to the person who said the quote, not me) actually have anything against ponies. You can watch your show all you want for all I care, we all have something I like. It's just the amount of pony-related crap I go through all the time. It's everywhere on the internet, I can't go three feet without something pony-related being shove into my face. And when I try to tell them to quit it, they call me a hater."

Another quote I remember is "Bronies claim that they're (the guys at least) are just as masculine, and more secure about their masculinity, because they watch ponies and aren't afraid to show it. But that's actually rather hypocritical. If they felt so secure, they wouldn't feel the need to announce to the world that they like ponies. Look at all the coming-out stories. No one CARES. If you felt so secure about your position, you wouldn't feel the need to have to tell the entire world."

So what do you think about this, fellow bronies?

on a slightly related note, homophobes are proven more likely to have homosexual tendencies...

Edited by tigerneko

• 1 month later...

I'll tell you all why some people hate some bronies;

Its because many troll and spam. (Not all, but many) They fill The Hub's Facebook (and sometimes youtube) page with off-topic pony comments, as if MLP is the only good show on the network. (The Hub has lots of great shows)

EDIT: I trimmed this. In retrospect, a lot of it was not needed.

Edited by Bronypupfan
  • Brohoof 1

alot of people hate us simply because we watch a show that most stereotype with the annoying commercials with the cheesy actors and annoying song they saw on TV all the time. and yes, i hated those MLP doll commercials and still do to this day.

One of my ex-friend was really hating me because I am watching MLP he was saying that I was gay (even if he know I 6.1foot tall) and then after one month I punched him in the face and knock him out he never told me I was gay after that

I think that every fandom has people that annoy everyone else in the internet and give the fandom a bad name, like how people just getting into homestuck will flip out and never stop talking about it and always make Karkat say fuckass all the time. That includes our fandom, and there are also a bunch of haters that dont even know what we are, they just hate because a bunch of their friends do it.

It doesnt help our case when the media portrays us as a bunch of 30 year old autistic neckbeards living off of unemployment, when in reality, we consist of every age, gender, and orientation; its just that nobody talks about the pegasisters or the teenagers. If people would realize that then there would probably be considerably less anger towards Bronies. Because, yes, some of us clop, but not everyone. And some of us wont shut up about spaghetti, but not most of us. And some of us spam the internet with overused pony memes that no one likes (im not saying pony memes suck, im saying that some of them are overused), but the majority of us dont. But all of us are Bronies, so people generalize. what would be cool is if the standouts of the fandom, like The Living Tombstone, Jackle App, Mic the Microphone, and other Brony artists were made a big a deal of as the rest of us.

Edited by VinolentCupcakes

That surprises me a lot. This phenomenon of hatred in my country (Italy) is not so dramatic, there will always be an idiot ready to insult, but are for the most part kids.

From what I understand from you is a real witch hunt. I've seen various programs such as Fox News or Howard Stern's show not knowing whether to laugh or cry... I think therefore that it is the media's fault

humans are stupid for inclination, then the blame is on who feeds this hate. Probably with the documentary, that will be created by Discord, the situation will improve

As usual sorry for my bad Eng.

Apart from the fact that it an easy thing to make fun of people for, an easy reason to hate etc. I would say because it is EVERYWHERE, which would get really annoying to anyone, especially the erotica of it... I am not a clopper, but I can handle seeing it.... But to someone who isn't even a MLP fan... well... that would make them flip a bit.

Since the very begining that there was a fight between haters and bronies. Why? because we hate each other, threaten each other, insult, each other. It is pretty much like religion. Like the ones who belive in God, fight those who don't. Not the same Beliefs? No friendship.At all. I think they take us as a disease because they think all of us clop to ponies, which is wrong. They hate us because they think we are the minority. The weak ones. Actually, if 9Gag never existed, there would be no haters. Not at all. Simply because the very first hater told everyone in 9Gag that there was a disease spreading through the internet, called Broy Cancer. And then, they all started to make things against us. I think that is all, for now.

which would get really annoying to anyone, especially the erotica of it... I am not a clopper

Meh, sounds strange to me. everything has an erotic component, i've never heard anyone complain about Nala, Digimon, Pokemon

'Whhaaatttt? u enjoy the Lion Kinggg? waaah u maniac' . I think that kind of things like ' I hate cloppers' are just excuses to have an appearance of logic. A justification to hate with 'good' reasons.

Of course that's just an opinion

Edited by DorianTail

Meh, sounds strange to me. everything has an erotic component, i've never heard anyone complain about Nala, Digimon, Pokemon

'Whhaaatttt? u enjoy the Lion Kinggg? waaah u maniac' . I think that kind of things like ' I hate cloppers' are just excuses to have an appearance of logic. A justification to hate with 'good' reasons.

Of course that's just an opinion

This is true. Like I don't watch MLP for any erotic stuff, some do; which doesn't bother me at all. But I think what they get upset about is the fact the target audience is little girls and that it is ponies. But as you said, they are just looking for an excuse to hate on it :P I rarely see people hate on Sonic, Pokemon etc, But its guns hoe for MLP :P