Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why Are Bronies Disliked?

Aureity

My problem with haters is basically 3 things...

1) The whole"shoving it down our throats" excuse . Basically what everyone else said about it.

2) Most haters have no idea about the show and only harass us because they see ot as a "weak spot" to pick on.

3) While not many, but definitely some, haters are closet bronies too afraid to say it. My friend and I went on a 2 month long hunt of brony haters over XBL, various forums, and meme sites amd "befriended" these haters. Out of the 27 that we got, 3 confessed to liking ponies, 5 admitted it after we did, and 2 said they would give it a chance. That's 10/27, more than a third! The haters only grow weaker!

• Brohoof 1

This is intersersting... All of this actually makes sense. Well, let it be. (Beatles song reference :D) They think were a pain in the ass and we think they're a pain in the flank.

I guess people hate Bronies because whenever FiM or a fan comic of it references something, most of the time, there will be someone commenting on a Youtube video of whatever it is that was referenced, ''Ponies brought me here'', and to be honest, it gets annoying if I'm trying to get away from the fanbase for a while. In fact, I'm becoming less and less fascinated with ponies because of this.

maybe all sites should have a pony-filter...

That, or just grow up and stop whining. I mean, on the same note, I can't go 3 seconds online with seeing a rageface or some other meme, and thats just the interwebz. Seeing as how all the bronys came from /co/, I dont really think its too surprising to see ponys EVERYWHERE. To me, Ponies are like memes, they are just a part of the internet, and if you dont like it, then you ignore it.

My opinion of course, and I have no problem with others disagreeing.

I'd have to agree with the "Shoving it in my face too much" view. I got told off by my friend, who is by the way a supporter of bronies and not actually one, which he told me to stop relating everything to ponies. I thought to myself, and yeah I was overdoing it with my brony-ism. It's probably why my dad hates ponies, because it's all I ever talk about (With the occasional video game and TV show).

I live in a town that is overtaken by its love for basketball and our basketball team. Personally I am not a fan of sports. Not something I was ever into, but you can't walk two steps around here without running into our teams logo, mascot, colors, and other related paraphernalia. Basketball is a big subject and people will always stop and try to speak with you about it. Whenever there's a big game the area pretty much explodes into an overzealous show of love for our team.

Should I be allowed to hate all sports fans now because it's being 'shoved down my throat'? Also why is it that, as I said, it's okay for people to harass me with sports talk despite my obvious disinterest but the second I make a mention about something having to do with MLP I'm told to keep my obsession to myself?

Fact is hatred is never acceptable. I don't care if they've met the single most obnoxious and overzealous MLP fan in existence this does not give them the right to label every other fan under the same name.

• Brohoof 1

Well I know a few guys that don't like it. In fact we were arguing about it a while back. Although these guys are the "irrational haters" rather than the people that hate it for a REAL reason, they hate it because they think we are all gay or have the mental age of a six year old girl.

They also tried use R34 to latch on to and try to use against me, but that happens with all haters.

I just argued back, and no one seems that bothered anymore. (I'm a pretty persistent person when it comes to debates.)

The whole "shoving it in people’s faces" thing? Well the loudest people are always the ones who are noticed most so......

And I don't know about all of you, but I try to keep to our "love and tolerate" motto. (that's one of the first things that drew me to our fandom, among others.)

The "hard core" haters will hate no matter what we do. What's important is keeping the amount of other, "bandwagon" haters in check.

tl;dr: people hate things that they don't understand, or find strange.

I haven't been a fan of the show for long and I haven't been exactly overt about it so I've never experienced first hand. However, I don't flip a nut over hateful comments no matter how derogatory they may be. This is the internet after all and if they want to hate, fine. It is a haters job to hate after all, but by the same token we can still express ourselves. And at the end of the day, that's all I care about.

Lastly, here's a drastically cleaned up quote by Katt Williams: "Live your life. Understand they is gonna hate you regardless, get that out of your head that fantasy world where they ain't hating on you. You gotta to be grateful, you need haters, what is you complaining about, what do you think a hater's job is?! If you got 14 hating on you, you need to figure out how to get to 16 before the summer get here! If you got nobody to hate on, feel free to hate on me, say my hair ain't luxurious when you know it is!"

Okay after countless hours of thinking about this I finally figured out why people hate Bronies...........................................................................................................................................................................................................

JEALOUSY!!!!!! Just clear Jealousy, they wish the the things they were in were this awesome. ;)

But, honestly with just about everything, there's always gonna be that one person who goes to the extreme, be it art or fanfics or whatever. Now, me nobody gives me a problem about it. Because for me, it's a private life that nobody knows about except my parents, and even they know about it just barely. I don't talk about it etc.etc. Outside of my house it's like Ponies don't really exist anymore. People like to hate on the real popular things. I like to think FIM is the equivalent of the New York Yankees right now. Meaning even though there are millions of fans of the Yankees there's always millions of other people who think Hating the Yankees are fun because it's popular.

Some people just love to hate on the popular things . Justin Bieber, Twilight, Star Wars, Harry Potter, etc.etc.etc. There's always gonna be the kind of people who think hating a popular thing, or hating a specific group is fun.

They see us as girly people who can't grow up.Some even see us as creepy little pedophiles.They just find it weird that we watch a show for little girls and they don't like it.Too bad, they will never realize how awesome MLP:FIM is...unless we spread it around of course.

Before I became a brony, the only hint of ponies I saw was the occasional pony thread on 4chan. That's it. Never had it shoved in my face. Hardly knew of the show's existence, let alone bronies. Yet here I am, 9 months later, listening to Sim Gretina's Remix of B.B.B.F.F. I couldn't be happier.

Some people just love to hate on the popular things . Justin Bieber, Twilight, Star Wars, Harry Potter, etc.etc.etc. There's always gonna be the kind of people who think hating a popular thing, or hating a specific group is fun.

Sadly I would say that is true. I try to make it so the things I don't like I dislike for a particular reason and not just because it's "in." I was seeing more and more of MLP around but I figured "hey let's see if I actually like it or not." So I watched a few episodes so that I could make an informed decision. Just so happens that I do like it.

Yeah...I know I'm probably going to get flame over this, so before I post let me just say these are NOT my views, they are the views of a few close friends I have who do not like bronies.

So why do some people find bronies annoying? I wondered that myself every day, as my friends started laughing every time I made a mlp reference. They smirked whenever I trawled the forums in my spare time (at school), and they poked holes with their pencils in my mlp doodles. Rather than get angry at them, however, I wondered Why? I searched up a few anti-brony websites just to figure out why some people hate bronies so much.

The result was actually quite surprising. Yes, some people hate bronies because they are homophobes and afraid to even look at something that seems slightly "queer" to them. It's definitely true, and there will always be people like that. But most of the people who dislike bronies (dislike not being fanatical hate, that's usually the homophobic rascists) dislike them for another reason-they simply don't like how bronies shove mlp into their faces.

According to one person, whose name I forgot, "It's not like I ("I" referring to the person who said the quote, not me) actually have anything against ponies. You can watch your show all you want for all I care, we all have something I like. It's just the amount of pony-related crap I go through all the time. It's everywhere on the internet, I can't go three feet without something pony-related being shove into my face. And when I try to tell them to quit it, they call me a hater."

Another quote I remember is "Bronies claim that they're (the guys at least) are just as masculine, and more secure about their masculinity, because they watch ponies and aren't afraid to show it. But that's actually rather hypocritical. If they felt so secure, they wouldn't feel the need to announce to the world that they like ponies. Look at all the coming-out stories. No one CARES. If you felt so secure about your position, you wouldn't feel the need to have to tell the entire world."

So what do you think about this, fellow bronies?

This is exactly how I felt before I got into the series through specific mediums like Discord. I NEVER hated the show or the fanbase exclusively, I always hated the hype, and how I could never stop seeing ponies, pony references, pony images, pony discussions, or pony avatars, signatures or names on any site I went on. It got very irritating very quickly. And to this day I believe that the show should be kept to the places it's about, for the vast majority. Because it's when it's flaunted around everywhere that haters begin attacking in hordes.

(edited)

Am i the only one who actually liked the hype (althought tbh i didn't really see it ABSOLUTELY EVERYWHERE) and people finally defying these silly gender roles even before watching the show?

I can't be alone.

Edited by leictreon

MLP is a meme, obviously that increases its prevalence a ton as well as the hate as a result. You can't expect 100% of people to like it, I'd say a small amount of the internet are bronies, a huge majority haven't heard of MLP/are neutral about it, and a small minority are haters.

• 1 month later...