Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why Are Bronies Disliked?

Aureity

"It's not like I ("I" referring to the person who said the quote, not me) actually have anything against ponies. You can watch your show all you want for all I care, we all have something I like. It's just the amount of pony-related crap I go through all the time. It's everywhere on the internet, I can't go three feet without something pony-related being shove into my face. And when I try to tell them to quit it, they call me a hater."

"Bronies claim that they're (the guys at least) are just as masculine, and more secure about their masculinity, because they watch ponies and aren't afraid to show it. But that's actually rather hypocritical. If they felt so secure, they wouldn't feel the need to announce to the world that they like ponies. Look at all the coming-out stories. No one CARES. If you felt so secure about your position, you wouldn't feel the need to have to tell the entire world."

I agree with both of these quotes.

In reference to the first quote, I've noticed that we're a considerably self absorbed fandom sometimes and it bothers me when the bronies I know in real life don't have the common decency to not flood people, who either don't give a shit whatsoever or are unaware of the fandom and - by extension! - also don't give a shit, with presumably nonsensical references and cultural tidbits. Being a brony does not make you suddenly above being annoying, by any means, and I'd be just as annoyed by someone shoehorning ponies into a conversation as I would be bugged by a kid inundating me with his theories regarding the upcoming draft pick for the NFL. Pick up social cues, bronydom, and save the ponies for the people who are actually interested in hearing about them.

To the second quote, being a brony is not so groundbreaking that anyone should feel the need to "come out about it." You're a fan of a show. Feeling the need to come out about being a fan is just inherently pretentious in its entirety. You come out about being a homosexual because that's big and there's a social stigma to it and it takes some level of guts to do. You don't "come out" about watching ponies. "Coming out" to people who don't really know what a brony is is the equivalent of just inopportunely proclaiming your fandom which, as mentioned above, is somewhat annoying and unnecessary. It kind of bothers me that we tend to dramatize our role as a fandom quite often, leading the general public to regard us as some sort of deviant subculture. Why should we feel the need to come out at all, let alone to people who don't get it?

I don't know about the rest of you but my being a brony is only a part of who I am. It adds to the unfolding reality that is my personhood - it doesn't define it by any stretch! When you let bronydom define you, you become a stereotype. When you become a stereotype, you become vulnerable to lampooning and mockery.

The quotes the OP posted are by all means reasonable and relevant, sorry to anyone who disagrees. Our mantra is "love and tolerance." Let's try to actually practice that and consider just where they're coming from.

• Brohoof 10

In reference to the first quote, I've noticed that we're a considerably self absorbed fandom sometimes and it bothers me when the bronies I know in real life don't have the common decency to not flood people, who either don't give a shit whatsoever or are unaware of the fandom and - by extension! - also don't give a shit, with presumably nonsensical references and cultural tidbits. Being a brony does not make you suddenly above being annoying, by any means, and I'd be just as annoyed by someone shoehorning ponies into a conversation as I would be bugged by a kid inundating me with his theories regarding the upcoming draft pick for the NFL. Pick up social cues, bronydom, and save the ponies for the people who are actually interested in hearing about them.

To the second quote, being a brony is not so groundbreaking that anyone should feel the need to "come out about it." You're a fan of a show. Feeling the need to come out about being a fan is just inherently pretentious in its entirety. You come out about being a homosexual because that's big and there's a social stigma to it and it takes some level of guts to do. You don't "come out" about watching ponies. "Coming out" to people who don't really know what a brony is is the equivalent of just inopportunely proclaiming your fandom which, as mentioned above, is somewhat annoying and unnecessary. It kind of bothers me that we tend to dramatize our role as a fandom quite often, leading the general public to regard us as some sort of deviant subculture. Why should we feel the need to come out at all, let alone to people who don't get it?

I don't know about the rest of you but my being a brony is only a part of who I am. It adds to the unfolding reality that is my personhood - it doesn't define it by any stretch! When you let bronydom define you, you become a stereotype. When you become a stereotype, you become vulnerable to lampooning and mockery.

The quotes the OP posted are by all means reasonable and relevant, sorry to anyone who disagrees. Our mantra is "love and tolerance." Let's try to actually practice that and consider just where they're coming from.

This, this, and this. I don't feel like everyone should anounce to everyone else that they're fans of something. I don't go out and randomly walk up to people and say, "Hey! I like Magic the Gathering!" or "Hey! Pokemon are freaking awesome!" Granted, if I had shirts, I'd wear them ^^.

And also the second thing. So you like a show. What's new? So it's targeted to a younger, female audience? If you enjoy a show, enjoy it. It's not necessary to go around waving it in the air at other people.

Other than that, Veecèiri stated everything else quite well and I can't really elaborate much further than that >.<

Some people grew up in a fixed(and stupid) society where intolerance of certain things is natural. One might grow up to see even the slightest hint of "girly" traits as really stupid, which is basically the logic behind anti-bronies. People sometimes like their society where everything was pre-declared, such as the target audience of the show... or maybe they are just homophobic or insecure...

• Brohoof 2

I see your point their.I post pony stuff On facebook almost everyday,but so far none of my freinds dont say " stop shoving it down my throat " comments . But from time to time I get hate comments about me, but I dont care. Because no one at my school has seen the show. It even also bothers me when a brony clops to ponies or makes dirty pony art. Luckily, im one of those bronies who not like that

Edited by Moon-Blood
  • Brohoof 1

>We will love and tolerate you! As long as we share a common interest!

>Accept our love! We will be allowed to post ponies 24/7, no matter where the hell it is!

>Do not resist ponies! Or we will 'love and tolerate' the SHIT out of you!

Hate to say this, but a tiny fraction of us (yet the loudest) is just like that :P

But on the other side, we also got a whole army of anti-brony

*light bulb*

MLP = Tim Tebow

Bronies = Tebow supporters

the internet = ESPN

haters = rest of the NFL

ESPN shoves Tebow down people's throats and the Tebow supporters are very VERY fanatical about their guy.

Wait. So MLP: FiM is replaced by Peyton Manning?

My Little Quarterback: Hall of Fame is Magic?

• Brohoof 2

I can only half agree with the "shoving ponies in non fan's faces" argument

I can agree with the fact that people that really do shove them in other's faces shouldn't be doing so. Yes, you might manage to get someone interested, but you're pissing so many people off as well as making yourself look bad in the process, so it's really just not worth it

However, I just can't agree with the "seeing pony shit everywhere" part of the argument. I'm sorry, but that's not really our fault that YOU don't like seeing work that was meant for US. This especially annoys me when it comes to avatars and reaction images. I'm not complaining to you about using an avatar or reaction image of a series you like, or poasting things about it, so why is it different when it comes to our content?

Edited by Jack0vAllTrades

Wait. So MLP: FiM is replaced by Peyton Manning?

My Little Quarterback: Hall of Fame is Magic?

...what does Peyton Manning have to do with anything?

Anyway, I can understand the argument about pony stuff being shoved in people's faces. While I would point out that it's not so much shoving as it is merely being present, such as in the form of avatars, signature banners, possible quotes, etc, there is a lot of pony stuff out there, and it's not easy to avoid at times. In fact, one of the primary reasons I avoided getting into the show for as long as I did was this very phenomenon, that it was constantly talked about everywhere and that I didn't want to hear about it because it was being hyped over like crazy.

That does not, however, excuse targeted hatred or outright harassment of pony fans. I may have disliked hearing about the show constantly or seeing reminders of it everywhere, but I never would have attacked pony fans because of it. What I did do though was express some discontent at times, and frankly that is something that is perfectly fair to express. Some people who dislike pony fans have turned bitter primarily because our fandom is a bit too quick to slap them with the label of hater whenever they say anything remotely against the fandom, even if it's something as simple as "Please stop talking about the show so much because not everyone wants to hear about it."

Consider, for example, how frustrating and annoying it would be if someone was constantly bringing up a subject you hated, and you couldn't stop seeing it everywhere you went. That'd make you fairly bitter towards those posting it everywhere, wouldn't it? I think it would make me rather angry. I know for certain it would, since I tend to get rather upset whenever people make Shed.MOV jokes in my vicinity even after being told many times I don't like hearing them.

In fact this very reason, the inability to avoid subjects if they're constantly being brought up, is why pony fans needed special forums for them in the first place, and why this forum in particular has been avoiding the creation of an eighteen plus area for discussing grimdark or Rule 34 subjects.

So, as I said, I can understand that attitude. I can understand some of the anger and frustration. That does not mean I condone any hateful actions taken upon by those who hate pony fans, nor would I condone any overreacting counter attacks by our own fandom, as our fandom is wont to do. We all need to chill out and just let things be, rather than attacking each other over everything.

• Brohoof 4

A comparison was made between MLP: FiM and Tim Tebow. Tebow is going to be replaced by Peyton Manning, who has reportedly decided to sign with the Broncos.

It was just in jest.

• Brohoof 1

A comparison was made between MLP: FiM and Tim Tebow. Tebow is going to be replaced by Peyton Manning, who has reportedly decided to sign with the Broncos.

It was just in jest.

I...was not aware of that! I dislike Tebow to the extreme, so to see him being replaced, and by such a good quarterback, is good news indeed. (Sorry, this is why I failed to understand the joke. Now it's funny.)

Anyway, I can understand the argument about pony stuff being shoved in people's faces. While I would point out that it's not so much shoving as it is merely being present, such as in the form of avatars, signature banners, possible quotes, etc, there is a lot of pony stuff out there, and it's not easy to avoid at times. In fact, one of the primary reasons I avoided getting into the show for as long as I did was this very phenomenon, that it was constantly talked about everywhere and that I didn't want to hear about it because it was being hyped over like crazy.

That does not, however, excuse targeted hatred or outright harassment of pony fans. I may have disliked hearing about the show constantly or seeing reminders of it everywhere, but I never would have attacked pony fans because of it

Pretty much exactly what I was saying. You phrased it much better though Edited by Jack0vAllTrades

I know that I already posted one wall of text in here, so I am going to keep this really short.

I am starting to realize that someone's opinion on this issue depends on the places that they frequent and the people that they know.

I spent some time reading some of the anti-brony "propaganda" today, and I realized something. Most of the anti-bronies had been members of some type of group that became overran with MLP fans that were a little wilder than I could have guessed. To be honest, I was a little surprised by some of the strange things that I read about the activities of certain bronies.

So, I asked myself a question. What would I do if I had been a member of a group, then suddenly people started completely freaking out about a show that I had never heard of before. What if, all of a sudden, the place became overwhelmed with ponies and everyone was constantly fighting about it. Well, I admit, I would probably have been pretty irritated.

For me, all of the bronies that I know IRL are people that I introduced to the show. I have not run into any local bronies yet. Most of the websites that I visit online have something to do with programming, politics, or economics, and none of them are forums (except this one). With this kind of boring online existence, it was easy for me to go a pretty long time without seeing anything pony related. (And it would be a very strange thing indeed if Hacker News was overran by ponies...)

My original post was typed from the perspective of someone that basically left the internet for nearly a decade while pursuing other interests. For me, it was easy to not see the big deal because I am well insulated from the firefights and strangeness that seems to happen outside of my, relatively, sheltered environment.

Now that I have looked into things and thought about things a bit more, my opinion is a little more conflicted. On one hand, I still think that there are honestly a lot of haters out there and they really do work hard to harass bronies. On the other hand, I think that there are also a lot of bronies out there that can be a bit freaky at times.

I will agree with everyone in this thread that says that the best thing to do is to calm down. Less fighting among bronies and between bronies and haters would result in less stress for those that really don't want to be bothered with the whole thing one way or another.

Edit: Ok, so that wasn't that short, but it was shorter.

Edited by Scootacool
  • Brohoof 3

Ponies get more attention because they have a massive fan base, a brony could make say an artwork really sub par, but would get praised and get told its good by fellow bronies, while someone else could make a really good artwork, and it might get 1/4 of the attention if that person is lucky.

This applies and is seen a lot in the YTPMV community.

I know that what I just said is something I hate a lot in the brony community. "Liked because ponies xDDDDD"

Edited by flaretta
  • Brohoof 1

Maybe we should make pony sites? I mean we made ponychan, we could make ponytube, as a start of us helping them out, I can understand where they're coming from, I hate rule 34 but that doesn't stop people shoving it in my face,

• Brohoof 2

I have issued this before and now will be the last time I touch this subject.

These tired old arguments of "stop shoving (sh)it down my throat!" and "you guys are everywhere!" as well as "You're just as bad as the haters are" are repetitive bullshit excuses for dishonest people to allow themselves to be hateful bigoted idiots.

There is fan art, sure it is voluminous, sure it is in many mediums but no person is out there forcing these people to click the links, to watch the videos, to download the art, nobody is doing that, these haters actively seek out these threads so they can rub their own offence at our faces and shove it down our throats. This hypocrisy is blatantly obvious and and naive in its simplicity.

Oldest excuse ever to hate something is to claim the subject is forced upon them. Like how Christians claim atheism is forced on them, or with Islam how everything offends their prophet, like how anti sonic fans see sonic art everywhere. Meanwhile reast of the normal world manages to go about their lives without even noticing this "problem" these hate ridden jackasses are so offended by. ever wonder why? Because they are not seeking out to have excuses to hate something.

To even try to point the blaming finger to bronies, and the fandom is complete utter self deception. The fandom produces content for other fans, it discusses its things with other fans, it ponyfies everything for the fans. We do this because we enjoy our cute ponies, we do this because it is our freedom to enjoy this thing. We like to share, we love to make our fellows smile, we do this all out of the kindness of our hearts, not so we can irritate someone who might not possess the mental maturity and health to enjoy things that are not specifically labeled "for men". No, these "haters" are the ones who go out of their way to try to ruin the fun for others, they go around preaching their morals and shoving their idiocy down our throats.

They go to Equestria Daily to troll and spam, they go to pony artists galleries to hate and insult them, they intrude forums and threads about ponies to shove their moronic asininity in our faces and blame us for doing the very bullshit they are doing, sure MLP fan may make a MLP joke, but a soccer fan makes soccer jokes, biologist makes biology jokes, those are personal quirks, result of personal interests and knowledge. Their sense of humor. They make these jokes not to shove their fandom or profession down other peoples throats, but to just remind themselves of the amusing thing they are experiencing and perhaps let others see the humor in the situation too. This is a gift, an attempt to broaden and bring joy to others views of the world, and this is excuse to hate someone? And the Bronies somehow are the despicable ones? If you or anyone thinks so they are kidding themselves.

So no, I do not buy it, even if there is a brony or twenty who are immature brats who partake in this hate bullshit, they do this because they are kids, or because they still feel the need to compensate for their own social fears, but there is no way in hell that shit can be applied to bronies, and no way in hell has "bronydom" gotten any worse or more hateful post "Derpygate" only because we were upset over Hasbro "stealing" our beloved character from us with censorship. That outrage was justified, well places and well deserved outrage for a good reason. If anything it should mark a milestone in Brony unity, we united behind a cause, and behind a beloved character, and even those of differing opinions were tolerated, only those who blatantly preached their own hate were told to stick it back up their ass where it belongs because all it was was pretentious bullshit, the same old bullshit the fandom had faced from day one.

Bronies are still the kindest, the most accepting and tolerant community out there, and even if we allow some idiots under our wings it does not make us idiots, it makes us even more admirable as we aim to help them and change them with a kind and calm example.

Each NewBrony lashing out will be issued and talked to in calm and tolerant manner, and guided for more mature course of action, this is how we educate and help each others, even those who are not "perfect bronies". We accept them, love them and tolerate them because we are bronies, because we believe in ability to change people with kindness and good example.

So what ever you may feel about bronydom remember that YOU, as an individual can be the brony you want every brony to be, and that is how you will be judged as long as you remember to give people time, and keep your own cool. We can only control our own behavior and hope it to be in the end inspiration enough for others to follow in form. This is bronydom, it is not about enforcing morals, it is about embracing them.

And now I am done with this old subject constantly repeated like mantra, as if people almost hope that Bronies just give up on their image, so that these naysayers could be right. They are not right, as long as there is one brony out there loving, tolerating and being open minded calm and smart about things. We represent by example, not by force.

Edited by Pencils
  • Brohoof 14

Y'know, I used to be the same way. I used to say I disliked the show just because it was everywhere, but then...well, I watched episode 1, then episode 2...you get the idea. :P

Likewise, I used to hate the show when I was just browsing 4chan, but then I wondered what all the fuss was about since it was EVERYWHERE and gave it a shot, now I'm here...

And I'm not sure about the stuff being shoved down peoples throat, I mean, yes it's annoying, but did anyone of them ever ask you to stop? Atleast don't stop it when they where around? In my case, no, they haven't, Thus they have nothing to say about that matter.

We can't go around considering everyone else, when they don't consider us. You should be allowed to like what you like without being detested by all for it. I rarely talk about respect, as I think it is overrated, but I know a lot of people don't, and that's actually what this is all about.

I do feel that alot of the haters are mostly doing it to troll tbh, whenever something attracts a fanbase you will ALWAYS have people thinking its great fun to troll to the max. Keyboard warriors of the unholy order of the troll are everywhere.

As for pony being everywhere, well, until I got hooked myself, I had seen maybe 2 pony memes and I smiled just the way I would with any other pic I found funny. On the ask scooby forums where I am global mod, there was never posted a pony pic before I started doing it when it was appropriate ^_^

I have only one major pet peeve with "some" Bronies and that would be that they will flood anything that is linked to any of the derived work. Not that others don't do that but it's much more obvious with Bronies.

Edited by SrFrog

I don't think it's the fan art. I don't think it's the ponification of everything. I don't even think it's the show itself. It's the association of all that stuff with femininity. Where did this femininity come from? The toys and its target audience. Whether married or single, non-bronies assume that anyone liking the show are either no-lifers who have nothing else but girly stuff to keep them going (Fox... GRR), pedophiles who are looking to attract little girls for their pleasure, or are simply childish and unable to handle manliness. All three assumptions are preconceptions spawned from older generations of MLP and toys throughout its history. By not proving the people wrong by changing for the better, we're just strengthening their assumptions and making bronies more disliked.

How do we break these assumptions? Show the strong morals conveyed in the show and show how we can act it out in our lives. MLP:FiM has lessons that can be applied to real life, and that for me was the difference. All the other shows I loved in the day had either the entertainment, the visual arts, or the morals applied well. MLP:FiM was able to combine them together. Not only do the parents and non-bronies have to see all three come together, they have to see it played out (or at least see its potential), see that the fanbase are still sane and living out their lives well, and see the amazing visuals like none other. A really difficult task, but not impossible.

NOTE: I'm not here to bash the community in any way. I'm trying to think like everyone else who doesn't like the show cause most of my buddies have these same assumptions in mind whenever I show them MLP:FiM.

Edited by Derpity Derp

I absolutely agree with the shoving in the face and the coming out stories.

I know for myself, the more something is forced on me the more I'm not going to like it because it's not my idea. I'm pretty sure if someone kept pushing ponies in my face before I started getting into it, I wouldn't be here right now.

A lot of bronies preach love and tolerance, but you have to practice was you preach.

As for the coming out stories? I wholly agree. I mean, who CARES if you like ponies? Who cares if people think you're gay or lame or stupid? It's almost like making a mockery of the struggle homosexual people go through for acceptance. But when it boils down, no one should "come out" about being a brony. There is no reason for it.

Of course, there is hate, ignorance, etc, but I feel a fandom does not warrant the same critical thinking as an actual situation where a child could be completely disowned and thrown out for loving in the same gender.

EDIT: Don't get me wrong, I love you guys, Bronies are some of the best friends I have ever had the honor to have, but some of us need to straighten up and fly straight.

Edited by SkySong
  • Brohoof 1