Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Headcanon: Discord=Starswirl

princessalicornaj

(edited)

Discord's magic is more of an oddity than what Star Swirl's magic, I'd say that they are nothing alike. Though they did exist around the same time, and there are some theories surrounding the both of them.

Edited by Scootalove

It is rather difficult to tell, as Starswirl has both appeared during the time when the royal sisters were fillys, and after Celestia had alread gained control of Equestria fully. She was also living in the current royal palace at the time when Starswirl was around, as his library is under the royal castle/palace in canterlot. What would really help in this would be an official time line for when the royal sisters defeated Discord. As according to the newly released "journal of the royal sisters" Starswirl had existed already, and they were being set up to rule Equestria (meaning they did not gain control after defeating Discord like many a head canon believed). So Starswirl could have been transformed into Discord via magic, but then why would Celestia say "his reign of chaos eternal" as the royal sisters had been training to lead the country of Equestria long before being fully grown mares and encountering Discord?

(edited)

Well even if discord is Starswirl,wouldn't we have been told this by now or atleast had it hinted??

And wasn't discord ruling Equestria before the royal sisters even existed(presumably) so how did or would Celestia have takin Starswirl as a apprentice(if i recall correctly) if Starswirl would have already been Discord for god knows how long and presumably already banished to stone???

Edited by Pinkamena-Pills

I'm not gonna assume anything untill they actually 'put it in the show' sort.

However, the idea that the infamous Starswirl the Bearded, may actually be discord is possible to my eyes.

I know the arguements stated is that starswirl was a beloved wizard of lore and everypony else in equestria hates discord. Everypony just assumes Celestia knows what happened to starswirl the beareded, which we don't. Did he die? Did he vanish? We don't know! And Celestia sure as heck never mentioned anything about how Starswirl's legacy or life actually ended. Leading me to believe that if they really were gonna go along with this 'idea' then it could possibly be done.

Starswirl tries to do a spell to understand the magic of harmony, it goes terribly wrong and he's transformed into a being of chaos that we know as discord, and maybe the princesses had no idea what happened to him. Starswirl disappears and all of a sudden this being of chaos shows up. So ya...whos to say.

This is actually the first I have heard of this particular head canon, but I have a hard time believing it honestly.

Of course it probably depends on how one looks at the canon-status of the comics. Going by the mirror arc of the comic we see that Star Swirl is fully with Celestia during Luna's 'dark' time. Supposedly this wasn't too long before she became Nightmare Moon. Now, from how I look at it, it seems to me that this had occurred sometime after the sisters had imprisoned Discord. I'm not sure if there is anyway to definitely prove this; however.

Of course, we never see Starswirl during the events of the Season 4 opener, but that could be by design as it seems like the shows writers prefer to keep him mysterious.

In any case, those are my thoughts.

Starswirl tries to do a spell to understand the magic of harmony, it goes terribly wrong and he's transformed into a being of chaos that we know as discord, and maybe the princesses had no idea what happened to him. Starswirl disappears and all of a sudden this being of chaos shows up. So ya...whos to say.

This is madness,again,wasn't Discord ALREADY turned to stone bout time Starswirl came about when the royal sisters where ruling Equestira? 

Screw it,i don't know either lol. :muffins:

Is their some sort of official timeline that could possibly clear this up?? Because this entire theory hinges on the fact that Discord wasn't already Discord before Starswirl showed up..

Not to mention that if we go by the Journal, then Starswirl (along with a few other unicorns) were already rising & lowering the sun before the sisters even came to rule.

An official timeline would be nice, but I doubt we would get one.

Not to mention that if we go by the Journal, then Starswirl (along with a few other unicorns) were already rising & lowering the sun before the sisters even came to rule.

An official timeline would be nice, but I doubt we would get one.

Was this before or after Discord was in rule for a unspecified amount of time??? 

Good lord this show needs a official timeline  >_>

Was this before or after Discord was in rule for a unspecified amount of time??? 

Good lord this show needs a official timeline  >_>

Well, that's hard to say. If we go by the Season 4 opener, then we see the sisters are in power during Discord's reign, but again we don't know how long said reign was. It could've been short like Nightmare Moon's attack was, or it could've lasted years.

However, with the way the Journal starts no mention is made of Discord. The biggest foe the sisters face is a dragon that stole the Crystal Heart, and that was pretty close to the end of the sister's section of the journal; which leads me to believe it was all before Discord started his reign of terror chaos.

(edited)

Well, that's hard to say. If we go by the Season 4 opener, then we see the sisters are in power during Discord's reign, but again we don't know how long said reign was. It could've been short like Nightmare Moon's attack was, or it could've lasted years.

However, with the way the Journal starts no mention is made of Discord. The biggest foe the sisters face is a dragon that stole the Crystal Heart, and that was pretty close to the end of the sister's section of the journal; which leads me to believe it was all before Discord started his reign of terror chaos.

Did any of the royals know Starswirl yet? Because if i recall Celestia took Starswirl as a student,but he 'failed' according to Celestia. The thing is was this before or after Discord showed up,because if it was before then i guess the writers have a window to possibly write this reveal in.

Did any of the royals know Starswirl yet? Because if i recall Celestia took Starswirl as a student,but he 'failed' according to Celestia. The thing is was this before or after Discord showed up,because if it was before then i guess the writers have a window to possibly write this reveal in.

Well, this is how the Journal states it, and I will leave it as a spoiler tag:

First from Celestia's first entry:

A very unusual Unicorn sorcerer who called himself Star Swirl the Bearded approached us. And when I say unusual I'm not meaning to be rude, just accurate.

Then from Luna's first entry:

And I'm especially excited to talk to that Star Swirl the Bearded guy again. I bet he's a great sorcerer and we could really learn a lot from each other.

A few observation:

1. Going by both entries, it seems to me that they may have heard of Star Swirl, but were never familiar with him before their coronation.

2. Luna seems to indicate that Star Swirl could learn something from the sisters, so that could fit well with Celestia's lesson of friendship.

Well, this is how the Journal states it, and I will leave it as a spoiler tag:

First from Celestia's first entry:

A very unusual Unicorn sorcerer who called himself Star Swirl the Bearded approached us. And when I say unusual I'm not meaning to be rude, just accurate.

Then from Luna's first entry:

And I'm especially excited to talk to that Star Swirl the Bearded guy again. I bet he's a great sorcerer and we could really learn a lot from each other.

A few observation:

1. Going by both entries, it seems to me that they may have heard of Star Swirl, but were never familiar with him before their coronation.

2. Luna seems to indicate that Star Swirl could learn something from the sisters, so that could fit well with Celestia's lesson of friendship.

Ok,so according to the 1st entry,they knew Star Swirl after their coronation(which i believe is them becoming the rulers i assume),which means Discord had to have already been sealed into stone,unless Discord was in a power struggle with the royals to rule Equestria after the coronation and thus possibly leaving the window that after Star Swirl 'failed his teachings',he somehow ended up as Discord...

Also 

That second entry makes me think our lady Luna miiiight have liked Star Swirl,since she was so exited to talk to him  :comeatus: (lol i know its a stretch)

I think discord is star swirl.

1. His magic has stars and swirls in it.

2. He did a time spell.

3. They both have strong magic.

Any other ideas on why discord may or may not be star swirl?

The same three things can be said of Twilight.

Also, the comics have confirmed that Star Swirl died 100+ years after the Celestia/Luna Rift.  That head cannon is dead.  Let's move on.

• Brohoof 1

Ok,so according to the 1st entry,they knew Star Swirl after their coronation(which i believe is them becoming the rulers i assume),which means Discord had to have already been sealed into stone,unless Discord was in a power struggle with the royals to rule Equestria after the coronation and thus possibly leaving the window that after Star Swirl 'failed his teachings',he somehow ended up as Discord...

Also 

That second entry makes me think our lady Luna miiiight have liked Star Swirl,since she was so exited to talk to him  :comeatus: (lol i know its a stretch)

Well, if we're going to tie it into the show, I don't think it would work like that. Here is my hypothesis:

1. BEGINNING OF THE JOURNAL: Sisters meet Starswirl, coronated shortly afterwards.

2. END OF THE JOURNAL: Sisters deal with the dragon, return crystal heart

3. Going by these alone, we see that no mention is made of Discord. At this time we can assume that the sisters are still somewhat young (by alicorn standards) and that the Discord incident does not happen before the events of the journal.

4.  Additionally, we can rule out Discord happening before the dragon/crystal heart incident as that is recorded at the end of the sister's section of the journal. Which mean that the Discord incident should've happened after the recorded events of the journal.

5. S4 Opener "Princess Twilght Sparkle:" As we see during one of Twilight's visions of the past, Celestia & Luna are not all that much different from their current looks which tells me that they have matured since the journal was written. Because of this maturation and judging by their looks and the fact that they are the only ones to step up to Discord AND have the elements of harmony (the Tree of Harmony is mentioned as one main reason why they built their castle in the Everfree), I have to believe that Discord came to be after the events of the journal and LONG after they first met Star Swirl.

Now, after all of this, we do have some questions:

Is Star Swirl the Bearded actually Discord: It's hard to definitively say, BUT we can see that Celestia held no ill will in leaving Discord imprisoned in stone for so long. Even after the incident with the mirror in the comics, Celestia & Star Swirl still regarded each other as close friends, so I have a hard time believing Celestia would leave Star Swirl imprisoned like that.

If Discord is not Star Swirl, then what happened to the sorcerer?: We will likely never know. I don't remember if the comics ever stated he had died or just disappeared. I need to recheck that...

• Brohoof 1

(edited)
Also, the comics have confirmed that Star Swirl died 100+ years after the Celestia/Luna Rift.  That head cannon is dead.  Let's move on.

Well, if we're going to tie it into the show, I don't think it would work like that. Here is my hypothesis:

1. BEGINNING OF THE JOURNAL: Sisters meet Starswirl, coronated shortly afterwards.

2. END OF THE JOURNAL: Sisters deal with the dragon, return crystal heart

3. Going by these alone, we see that no mention is made of Discord. At this time we can assume that the sisters are still somewhat young (by alicorn standards) and that the Discord incident does not happen before the events of the journal.

4.  Additionally, we can rule out Discord happening before the dragon/crystal heart incident as that is recorded at the end of the sister's section of the journal. Which mean that the Discord incident should've happened after the recorded events of the journal.

5. S4 Opener "Princess Twilght Sparkle:" As we see during one of Twilight's visions of the past, Celestia & Luna are not all that much different from their current looks which tells me that they have matured since the journal was written. Because of this maturation and judging by their looks and the fact that they are the only ones to step up to Discord AND have the elements of harmony (the Tree of Harmony is mentioned as one main reason why they built their castle in the Everfree), I have to believe that Discord came to be after the events of the journal and LONG after they first met Star Swirl.

Now, after all of this, we do have some questions:

Is Star Swirl the Bearded actually Discord: It's hard to definitively say, BUT we can see that Celestia held no ill will in leaving Discord imprisoned in stone for so long. Even after the incident with the mirror in the comics, Celestia & Star Swirl still regarded each other as close friends, so I have a hard time believing Celestia would leave Star Swirl imprisoned like that.

If Discord is not Star Swirl, then what happened to the sorcerer?: We will likely never know. I don't remember if the comics ever stated he had died or just disappeared. I need to recheck that...

I see,then it is how i presumed.

132198165956.gif?1322745594

• Brohoof 1

We will likely never know. I don't remember if the comics ever stated he had died or just disappeared. I need to recheck that...

They say he's been "gone" for hundreds of years.  Celestia says that they had a strained friendship after Luna was banished, so it clearly disproves this head cannon.

The comics also confirm that Celestia knew full well what parasprites are.

Trolololo-princess-trollestia-26369320-5

They say he's been "gone" for hundreds of years.  Celestia says that they had a strained friendship after Luna was banished, so it clearly disproves this head cannon.

Yep, found where that is mentioned, so it helps to confirm that point.

The strained relationship and "I'm too old for this" might help explain Star Swirl's resistance to friendship.

/headcanon YAY

• Brohoof 2

• 2 months later...

Don't know why this wasn't mentioned already yet, but trying to figure out the timeline of events is a waste of time (as it were). The timeline is completely irrelevant, as Star Swirl was clearly capable of casting time magic. It is therefore entirely possible that he botched a spell that sent him back even as far as the beginning of time, where he then underwent his transformation into Discord. Millions of years alone could have wreaked havoc on not only his psyche, but also his memory. This way, he is still an ancient entity and could easily exist at the same time in both forms without either knowing who the other is.

Too many inconsistancies with this theory for it to work. One of the biggest arguements anylists bring up is if Discord was starswirl we would not have starswirl rememberd in a good light. Hitler did some good things but he will be remembered for his atrocities while Robin Williams did some bad but will be remembered for all his good.

Then there is the fact that he flippantly says that he had not had such fun in eons (our current eon is over 500 million years) and its pretty clear they are not the same guy.

Edited by Buck Testa