Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Anyone else have this issue?

Veritum

I am a pretty big brony, and I really want to go to BronyCAN, but my parents have no idea that I am a brony so I can't just casually bring it up and then follow-up that with "oh btw, can I go to a brony convention at march 22-24?"

Anyone else encounter this? :P

No, but 1 your parents may be giving you space

and

2 There is plenty of time isn't there? 

Well I would have no idea how to tell them I'm a brony. I'd like to bring it up as an interest and say "And there is a convention I'd like to go to" but honestly I have no idea how they'd react to that :P

Not really. Sadly, I never went to a con in my life due to not having the time and I would be like a fish out of water going to a big city and attending such a big event. :P

But, you do have some time to be able to work around this issue, so that's a plus.

Well, I think you should start slow.  Don't be like ILOVEPONIESANDCELESTIAISLIKEMYGODANDMYWAIFUIS ... Unless your parents are just waiting for you to say that so they don't have to bring it up, you'll freak them out.  [Not that i thought you would, but I wanted to give the worst case first)

How about something small.  Hey, you know that show I watch sometimes (like every Saturday religiously sometimes or however often you truly do), I really like that show.  Isn't life funny.

Then your parents can be like :blink:  if that's going to be their reaction. Possibly a "But I want grand-kids!" moment or whatnot. 

Then you give them -- hey it's just a cool show I watch B)

They look at you :wacko:  for a moment, then :wub:  he's my kid, whatever.

A few weeks later you say something like hey, wanna watch this one with me -- it's pretty cool. 

They'll then see that it IS cool-ish.  [pick something that your parents might identify with]

And they'll feel better. 

A few weeks later you can "happen to notice" that there's a convention and maybe you could go for a day or two or whatnot. 

Play it  B).

And if they are like NOOOOOOOOOOO, then scale back for them to realize that you're not going to go out and start wearing frilly dresses 24/7.

Remember your parents are people and you'll seem like Zecora did to Ponyville before the Mane 6 came around. :derp:

That's my 2 bits.  (you now owe me a shave and haircut)

Do you live in the area, or are you planning on traveling from out of town? In the latter case, just say you're making a trip to Vancouver, for a vacation of sorts, and sightseeing(I know the con is in Richmond, but that's also where the airport is). Granville Island and Victoria are great tourist destinations, and Vancouver has some nice beaches. It's not completely implausible that you'd want to come down for tourism. If you're in the area, and are just planning to drive down or take public transit or something, I'd recommend just coming up with an alternative explanation. Do you have any other hobbies you might go to a con for?

I doubt my friend and I are going for all three days, though we are seriously considering going. My explanation was going to be that it's a videogame con, but in the likely scenario that we only end up going for one day, I could just say we're going to spend the day in Vancouver or something. I'll still be taking all three days off work, just in case. My excuse to my boss will be that I'm going to Victoria for a few days. Worst case, I could just spend the other two days relaxing and playing videogames or something.

Do you live in the area, or are you planning on traveling from out of town? In the latter case, just say you're making a trip to Vancouver, for a vacation of sorts, and sightseeing

An interesting option.  But if your parents want to know what you're doing -- out of parental concern -- don't twist the truth.  That can be hurtful and or disconcerting.

If you want to go with the less information is better idea, then tell them you're visiting.

Why?

Because of a con.

And when they ask which con?

Don't tell them some con that doesn't exist or what-not lest they check and freak out.

Nothing sounds worse than I'm going over somewhere for some reason so nefarious that I can't tell you!

• 1 month later...

I'm late but...

JUST TELL THEM!

There's nothing bad about a show about ponies. Your parents would understand such thing, because they're your parents, they love you for what you are, and even if you became gay, lost your eyes, your nose, your ears or your legs, they would always back you up, because that's what they're for anyone, the best thing in the world, your heroes, your parents.

Bronycon is probably going to be my first trip completely on my own. (okay, maybe not completely if I'm going to a meetup then group travel) Parents are very supportive so not really an issue for me.

Don't know why but it feels like a personal pilgrimage to me.

(However, I'm not sure if it's a concrete plan yet. Still sorting stuff out)

Edited by Solid Scorpion