Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Should the CMC actually get cutie marks?

Pony.inc

The CMC should not get their cutie marks, unless the show would be scheduled for definite cancellation. This is because their lack of cutie marks is a major plot device. Their existence would not be significant in the show (i.e., they'd rather be background ponies) if they had cutie marks.

Yes they have to get their cutiemark as soon as possible!

If I see another episode about the CMC's trying go get their cutiemark i'm going to yell.

They can make so many great storylines about them, even with their cutiemarks.

And it's ridiculous they don't know yet what their talent is. Everyone knows, except themselves.

• Brohoof 1

Who says they are going to have to become background ponies? They NEED Their cutie marks already, we've seen that they don't need to "crusade" for their Cutie Marks to be good characters. Shows like Babs Seed, Hearts and Hooves Day, Flight to the Finish, Twilight Time, and For Whom the Sweetie Belle Tolls. All were good episodes with the CMC but they weren't trying to get their Cutie Marks. I mean you can only drag something like this on for so long before people just get bored with the concept. Honestly even in Season 4 we never really see them try to get their Cutie Marks? Besides, they vowed to help fillies get their Cutie Marks too, not just themselves, so they can do episodes on them helping others find their talents if you still want to crusading. So yes please Hasbro give them their Cutie Marks already!!

• Brohoof 1

I think the cutie mark crusading is already getting old.  >_>  I love the crusaders themselves, but it's always the same dang thing with them, over and over again! I want to see them actually develop before the series is over.

For example, I want to see what it's like when one of them gets a cutie mark and the other two don't yet, or when two of them have their cutie marks and then there's only one blank flank left. That will present some friendship challenges - jealousy, pride, alienation, etc... I want to see the conflicts that develop between them, and more importantly, how the crusaders overcome those conflicts to prove that they will always be great friends, even if their lives don't revolve around crusading.

After all their cutie mark drama, I think they'd certainly still be relevant to the show in some way. They are great characters, and I'd love to see them grow up. They could have lovely stories that don't revolve around cutie marks, for sure!

Episodes like Hearts and Hooves Day: this one wasn't about them trying to get them cutie marks. :smug:

I know it's a matter of opinion, but that's the most convincing argument I've heard against their cutie marks.

But if they can have more episodes like the last few, which have them together or separately working on other projects that aren't in the bottom 1/3 (not that they were bad, just not quite to standard), then I'm at the forefront of wanting the marks.

I guess I prefer status quo to potential dim futures.

Yes. And I'm hoping it's in season five. As @@silvadel suggested, an episode showing what conflicts would arise when only one (or two) of them get their cutie marks would make for a fantastic 22 minutes.  

Their characters revolve around them trying to get their cutie marks, and after they get them, what then?

You're implying that Apple Bloom, Scootaloo, and Sweetie Belle cannot encounter conflicts that do not revolve around getting their cutie mark. In which case, Sisterhooves Social, Family Appreciation Day, Hearts and Hooves Day, One Bad Episode Apple, Sleepless in Ponyville, Flight to the Finish, Twilight Time, Somepony to Watch Over Me, and For Whom The Sweetie Belle Toils disagree with you.

• Brohoof 1

Yes. And I'm hoping it's in season five. As @@silvadel suggested, an episode showing what conflicts would arise when only one (or two) of them get their cutie marks would make for a fantastic 22 minutes.  

You're implying that Apple Bloom, Scootaloo, and Sweetie Belle cannot encounter conflicts that do not revolve around getting their cutie mark. In which case, Sisterhooves Social, Family Appreciation Day, Hearts and Hooves Day, One Bad Episode Apple, Sleepless in Ponyville, Flight to the Finish, Twilight Time, Somepony to Watch Over Me, and For Whom The Sweetie Belle Toils disagree with you.

While you make a point, let's go through this list;

SS; Sweety Belle (not CMC)

FAD Apple Bloom

HHD True that, but I didn't like it much

OBA Marks are central

SiP Scootaloo

Flight Marks are barely an issue, but they do play a part

TT Marks are central (in that they wouldn't have trained with Twily without needing marks)

StWOM Apple Bloom

FWtSBT Sweety Belle

As the CMC there are few episodes which don't require blank flanks. 

We could see the members with episodes focusing on individual (ex)CMC and bring their friends on for some aspect of that individual's problems, but as a whole .. I'm concerned what post mark episodes would be.

Another way of putting my issue; how far does the show Bible plan, and how good are the writers at expanding it?

For me, seeing the CMC get their cutie marks at the end of the show is most satisfying because a huge chunk of their backstory rests on them searching for their cutie marks. Giving them cutie marks prematurely would remove a huge chunk of their continuity as characters in the show. 

Yea of course, they can't keep dragging this whole CMC adventures thing out forever, well they can but it will probably start to get VERY repetitive after a while. My guess is that it will more than likely happen on the last season at some point.

• Brohoof 1

We could see the members with episodes focusing on individual (ex)CMC and bring their friends on for some aspect of that individual's problems, but as a whole .. I'm concerned what post mark episodes would be.

Well, that's sort of the point. The Cutie Mark Crusade may no longer be a goal, but the writers can still focus on the former members individually and center around other conflicts as with the episodes I've mentioned. Besides, they're not just going to split up and go separate ways once they've all got cutie marks. They've formed incredible bonds over the past four seasons that are nearly impossible to break. As such, the trio can still encounter other conflicts together.

Overall, the Cutie Mark Crusader arc is not a crucial aspect of these three characters, though it is starting to become a drag. They all have potential for so much more than just a bunch of "Cutie Mark Crusaders [enter witless activity here] YAY!!!" stories, and they have been developed in other regards before. These characters can continue to be well written post-puberty cutie mark.  

I would think they should, but only near the ending of the series. Like, maybe a season or so.

Because it would be awesome to see them gain their cutie marks, while also seeing how they live with them.

It would be best not too far off from the series finale, just because something as this shouldn't be carried out too long.

It would kinda contradict everything about the way cutie marks work if they never got one..... So I think they will and should get them eventually. I don't think it would be less boring if they got them. I think they deserve to know who they are so they can embark on a new journey together with their special talents.

I say get them this season, so we can have them fall into a new role. I don't want this to be drawn out like Spongebob getting his license, to the point where nobody gives a flying feather about it anymore.