Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

-Help- How to tell people you're a Brony?

Speedy Transition

Hey everypony,

So im sure many people on here will find this useful, but how do i tell me friends, and Girlfriend that im a brony? I mean, My Brother already knows, but as he was a big fan of the Power Puff girls, he does not see a problem with me liking MLP, and my Mother has seen me watching MLP and drawing Ponies, also i think she i worried im gay or somthing :/

I have not told my father at all though..

I was wonder if any of the Bronies could share what happened to you, and help me come out my shell (\

All comments will help :)

Posted Image

• Brohoof 1

I just say it and then say that its about the community and that the show is more like a Disney animated movie with values and that it is kinda funny. Tell them the highlights of why you like the show.

• Brohoof 3

You should tell them as calmly as possible. As a matter of fact, you may not even want to use the word brony yet.

The best thing to do is to just mention that you like watching this really cool show with great music, nice voice actors, cool animation, and smart writing. Then you can tell them that it is the latest generation of My Little Pony and it really is a fantastic show.

You should say all of this in a sensible fashion - don't do any hyperventilating or anything like that. Remember, the key point is this. Don't make a big deal out of it, and they won't make a big deal out of it either.

As a matter of fact, if you approach the topic cooly and then just stop talking about it, then you will probably be surprised how many other people are interested in knowing more or checking out the show for themselves. And, that is when you can spill the beans about the brony community.

Of course, other people may have other recommendations, but this approach has worked really well for me.

Edited by Scootacool
  • Brohoof 7

I never thought of saying it like that.. thanks ^^

I just say it and then say that its about the community and that the show is more like a Disney animated movie with values and that it is kinda funny. Tell them the highlights of why you like the show.

• Brohoof 1

Just say it as it is, i did and i got accepted with a bit of laughter.

this includes my grandparents, parents, brothers and sister, friends and other family members.

• Brohoof 1

Step 1.) Find person to talk to.

Step 2.) Tell them you're a Brony

You guys really need to stop treating it like it's some big, life-changing event. It's a show you watch, simple as that. There's no reason to be so nervous about it.

• Brohoof 5

So how is it? i mean like, i want to know what i say before i just shout out somthing like, I like poniez ._.

Just say it as it is, i did and i got accepted with a bit of laughter.

this includes my grandparents, parents, brothers and sister, friends and other family members.

when I met my boyfriend (currently now my fiancée) we added each other on fb, he creeped through my pictures and saw a bunch of hamtaro and pokemon pictures. When he asked about if I was embarrassed to have those on on my profile I said "why would I be? I like it and I don't care it others don't". So naturally mlp was the next natural progression down that path.

I've always liked cute animated creatures, and have been very open with my fondness toward them, such as posting them on fb:

Posted Image

• Brohoof 6

Considering the more you wait, the more people actually start watching the show, the less awkward it becomes. More people are into ponies then you could possibly think. Just come out and be proud.

Step 1.) Find person to talk to. Step 2.) Tell them you're a Brony You guys really need to stop treating it like it's some big, life-changing event. It's a show you watch, simple as that. There's no reason to be so nervous about it.

It was simple for me as well, but for those who are Fluttershy-esque might find it harder :7

when I met my boyfriend (currently now my fiancée) we added each other on fb, he creeped through my pictures and saw a bunch of hamtaro and pokemon pictures. When he asked about if I was embarrassed to have those on on my profile I said "why would I be? I like it and I don't care it others don't". So naturally mlp was the next natural progression down that path.

I've always liked cute animated creatures, and have been very open with my fondness toward them, such as posting them on fb:

Posted Image

Step 1.) Find person to talk to. Step 2.) Tell them you're a Brony You guys really need to stop treating it like it's some big, life-changing event. It's a show you watch, simple as that. There's no reason to be so nervous about it.

Seriously this. It's just a TV show, it's really no big deal. Unless your friends are incredibly judgemental, they probably won't really care all that much. :)
  • Brohoof 2

I said: You know what I just watched yesterday? My little pony!

It's all about attitude. If you go around hiding it, like if it was a bad thing, then both you and the people around you will react badly if they found out. I just talk about it constantly, and constantly draw it everywhere. The only people who have criticized me are my closest friends, and I know they are just kidding. Most people don't give a damn. You are not the center of the universe, you will discover.

Anyways, today I conviced some people it's was cool when I told them about the history of Equestria. They were quite surprised with the depth of the show. One of them said exactly this "Yo pensaba que my little pony era como "Vamos a buscar manzanas al gran roble!"" (I thought that show was al like "Let's go get some apples from the big oak!") (Of course I didn't tell him about Applejack at that moment, otherwise it would have been spoiled)

I honestly don't know why anyone feels obligated to tell their friends or family what they like to watch. Do my friends know, or even care, that I like to watch Futurama or Star Trek or Criminal Minds? Nope. So why do I have to tell them out of the blue that I watch My Little Pony? I'm not saying it has to be kept as some big secret, if they asked about why I have a miniature pony herd in my room then sure, I'd tell them. But going out of my way let people know when in all likelihood they don't watch it themselves and couldn't care less? Just...why bother?

• Brohoof 3

My older brother and younger brother spread most of the word for me, and i just acted like i always do and no one really seems to mind. When it's mentioned it seems like everyone feels a bit awkward about it, but they don't seem to really care. I don't particularly see a need to treat it as something really weird, i'd just try to act normally and either tell them you watch it, or wait and slip it into a conversation you're having with someone. Slipping it in may feel less awkward and/or forced i think. I don't think people should care if you watch it or not, it isn't a infectious disease or anything (ok ya maybe infectious, but in this case that's good ;) )

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Ezynell

Well I bought Mcdonalds toys, had Pinkie Pie in one of my school presentations, and they should know I'm a brony :)

PS plan to get an awesome pony shirt eventually.... :)

I figured most responses would say to pretty much just tell them flat out, which honestly is an awesome approach if you use it to tell people who are open minded and generally aren't judgmental. For people who you feel a bit concerned about, I'd go with a fan-based approach, introduce them to the popularity of the community and maybe show them a couple PMV's that show how FiM differs from the initial thoughts they may have had about simply the title of "My Little Pony."

I for one haven't really told any of my friends, just been juggling my two lives between non-brony friends and a Brony meetup group I joined a couple months ago and so far it's worked out just fine :)

Don't do what Stoner Spike saids. Just when you feel comfortable just tell a few of your friends that you like this show. If they make fun of you they're not your real friends. And just ignore them if they do.