Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

-Help- How to tell people you're a Brony?

Speedy Transition

I found it very hard to start a conversation specifically about being a brony but

a ) people notice unless you actively try to hide it and

b )if you causally mention it at some point ("The new episode of MLP was awesome") people generally just take it in stride or ignore it and move on.

good luck however you try to handle it.

Edited by Hatguy

Well, don't make too much of an attempt to show them how good the show is, people don't seem to take that seriously anymore. Just briefly explain that it is an interest like liking any other show, that it isn't wrong to like a show with equally powerful messages, great animation, great plot(No, not that kind), and great characters.

• 3 months later...

Hey there guys, my friends and family don't know that I am a brony and I really want to tell someone I know. I would be grateful if anyone could tell me the best way to tell friends and family. Hey while your here why don't you tell me how you guys told your friends and family that you were a brony. I dont know if this is in the right forum but oh well. ^_^ brohoof anyone?

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

For me it was a very tough thing to do. I posted it on Facebook at like midnight so only a few people saw it. But IRL it is really tough. Just say you are, but don't do it like a Broadway Drama. Like pony references (Huzzah! The X has been doubled! And other memes like that) and if people ask what they are just tell them. They should accept you for who you are.

Edited by MrXweetok
  • Brohoof 2

umm...i am not sure if it is something you need to tell people about...people just found out with me..but then i do not think anyone was surprised i liked it...

but it is just a show you watch and talk about on the internet...unless it is a way of life i do not see the need to tell people about it...it isn't like you are coming out of the closet about your sexuality...it is just a show..

• Brohoof 2

Very tough thing, try mentioning my little pony in public but in ways that only bronys would understand.

For example while your chatting with someone bring up celestia( Like instead "oh my god" say "oh my celestia") If they are a brony they will recognize it and youll have a brony friend, if they arent a brony they will think its just your style of saying it.

See where im going with this?

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

It's called having confidence in yourself. If you believe it's okay to watch something then watch it, the only time anyone is going to make fun of you for it is if you don't have confidence in yourself and your body language tells them that you care so much about their opinion that they could make you feel bad about it if they tried or something.

My opinion: don't think about concealing things from people on the ground that they might not like you for it. If you think they're going to give you a hard time about it and want to avoid it then fine, but don't conceal it out of shame or anything like that

But I don't see the point in letting people know you're a brony anyway... Do you want them to try to watch the show or something? Because letting them know you're a brony doesn't really accomplish anything...

Edited by Hollowshield

(edited)

Short answer: Don't. Chances are that telling someone could potentially lead to more problems and/or ridicule and it's not like being a brony is a fact you should advertise and tell people about unless confronted first. You like the show and the fandom, that's it and noone else needs to know that but you.

If you really must though, subtlety is your best option here. Ease it into nornal conversation with your friends first like "Oh...have you heard about this new show?" or something like that. After you've had a chance to gauge their reaction, then you can decide if you'd really be comfortable with letting them know.

Edited by PoisonClaw
  • Brohoof 2

Well when I first told one of my friends I was a brony I did it in a smart way.

I took a fanmade song and let him listen to it. He said that he liked it. After that I just said that it is a fanmade song of my little pony and that I love the Friendship is Magic show. He was very confused and didn't want to check out the show at all. Then I showed him PONIES the Anthology and after that he gave the show a chance. He loved it and joined the forums. Then I just watched mlp episodes on my phone and if any of my friends asked why I was watching mlp I just said that I liked it. They accepted it I guess.

For my parents I started to show my mother some fanmade songs too and then I started to tell her that mlp is very popular on the internet and that I like it. Then I showed her an episode and she bought a t-shirt for me with Discord on :D

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

I post this quite often but it normally works, if you show this to your parents and friends they might just understand.

I didnt tell my parents, my sister like the little bitch she is, outed me on purpose because she thought it would be funny. My parents were outraged at first, but after a while they came to an understanding.

Edited by Bronynonymous
  • Brohoof 3

umm...i am not sure if it is something you need to tell people about...people just found out with me..but then i do not think anyone was surprised i liked it...

but it is just a show you watch and talk about on the internet...unless it is a way of life i do not see the need to tell people about it...it isn't like you are coming out of the closet about your sexuality...it is just a show..

I understand what your saying but my parents are the type that will think I am gay on the spot when it come to things like this. I have taken what you have said into consideration and I thank you for your reply :)

For me it was a very tough thing to do. I posted it on Facebook at like midnight so only a few people saw it. But IRL it is really tough. Just say you are, but don't do it like a Broadway Drama. Like pony references (Huzzah! The X has been doubled! And other memes like that) and if people ask what they are just tell them. They should accept you for who you are.

Very tough thing, try mentioning my little pony in public but in ways that only bronys would understand.

For example while your chatting with someone bring up celestia( Like instead "oh my god" say "oh my celestia") If they are a brony they will recognize it and youll have a brony friend, if they arent a brony they will think its just your style of saying it.

See where im going with this?

thats quite a good idea haha thanks i will definitively try that out new time I am with my friends. brofoof
  • Brohoof 1

I understand what your saying but my parents are the type that will think I am gay on the spot when it come to things like this. I have taken what you have said into consideration and I thank you for your reply :)

i do appreciate the civility of your response...but umm i think you may have missed a little point in my post...i'll try to explain it a little better..

i do not think there is any need to tell anyone of your enjoyment of the show...because while you may spend a great deal of time with the community..it does not define who you are...you can be yourself without telling people you enjoy this show..in my personal opinion...i cannot see much reason to tell people...but ultimately it is your choice..

It's called having confidence in yourself. If you believe it's okay to watch something then watch it, the only time anyone is going to make fun of you for it is if you don't have confidence in yourself and your body language tells them that you care so much about their opinion that they could make you feel bad about it if they tried or something.

My opinion: don't think about concealing things from people on the ground that they might not like you for it. If you think they're going to give you a hard time about it and want to avoid it then fine, but don't conceal it out of shame or anything like that

But I don't see the point in letting people know you're a brony anyway... Do you want them to try to watch the show or something? Because letting them know you're a brony doesn't really accomplish anything...

Thanks for the reply, i understand what your saying i would just be nice to have a friend that i can talk to about MLP, thanks again fro the reply :)

I told my mom and my neice as a test. I only told my mom so she wouldn't assume I was doing stuff on the internet I shouldn't at night. But I just told her. For my neice I just randomly started talking about ponies and she sorta figured it out from there. My friends don't know, because I havn't told them, havn't even talked to them since summer started, but once school starts back I'm just oing to make random references. Of course if I can I'm also going to buy brony clothes and wear them, and then people will find out.

Well when I first told one of my friends I was a brony I did it in a smart way.

I took a fanmade song and let him listen to it. He said that he liked it. After that I just said that it is a fanmade song of my little pony and that I love the Friendship is Magic show. He was very confused and didn't want to check out the show at all. Then I showed him PONIES the Anthology and after that he gave the show a chance. He loved it and joined the forums. Then I just watched mlp episodes on my phone and if any of my friends asked why I was watching mlp I just said that I liked it. They accepted it I guess.

For my parents I started to show my mother some fanmade songs too and then I started to tell her that mlp is very popular on the internet and that I like it. Then I showed her an episode and she bought a t-shirt for me with Discord on :D

Now that's an idea. I will definitely try that out, thanks a lot man. I think this will work. I will try it tomorrow

Short answer: Don't. Chances are that telling someone could potentially lead to more problems and/or ridicule and it's not like being a brony is a fact you should advertise and tell people about unless confronted first. You like the show and the fandom, that's it and noone else needs to know that but you.

If you really must though, subtlety is your best option here. Ease it into nornal conversation with your friends first like "Oh...have you heard about this new show?" or something like that. After you've had a chance to gauge their reaction, then you can decide if you'd really be comfortable with letting them know.

You shoukd not say things like that. You should almost be ashamed of yourself, its part of who you are

Maybe my community was more understanding, but when I heard that My Little Pony was reairing I wanted to watch it immediatly. I wass browsing tv and saw it was on and immediatly clicked it, catching the last few minutes. Curiousity was all it was, but I was interested. My mother walked in the room and I never hide anything from her. She teased me at first, and my reply was

"Shit yes I want to watch me some My Little Pony, but I can never seem to catch it when it starts!"

Always be honest. I wear my ponies around my neck on a daily basis (the McDonalds ones, Twilight and Apple Jack). I'm proud of who I am, and my friends accept me as I am, and even ask me to draw them as ponies, even if they aren't into the show.

I have also turned a few of them.

So in short, be proud of it, tell them straight up, "Hey I like MLP, dont like it, suck my dick (okay maybe not that last bit, but it worked for me, and I'm a girl)

• Brohoof 1

Oh and I managed to convert most of my friends to bronies around the same time that became a hardcore bronies. One of my friends Anthony wanted diablo III but didnt have enough money so I told him if he watched all of mlp I would buy it for him. He watched it and liked it. Another one of my friends Andy came up to me and said he watched a youtube PMV and said that mlp looked cool, so I told him that it is cool and that I had been watching it for some time now. He watched it and liked it. I have very open minded friends, but then again most of my friends are already otaku's and can respect the animation style.

• Brohoof 1

I post this quite often but it normally works, if you show this to your parents and friends they might just understand.

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=Est3UNs-LIk

I didnt tell my parents, my sister like the little bitch she is, outed me on purpose because she thought it would be funny. My parents were outraged at first, but after a while they came to an understanding.

Thanks for the reply man although i have already seen this several times on youtube, Thanks anyways.

i do appreciate the civility of your response...but umm i think you may have missed a little point in my post...i'll try to explain it a little better..

i do not think there is any need to tell anyone of your enjoyment of the show...because while you may spend a great deal of time with the community..it does not define who you are...you can be yourself without telling people you enjoy this show..in my personal opinion...i cannot see much reason to tell people...but ultimately it is your choice..

Ahh i see. I am sorry I must have misread your post. I understand now thank you a lot. come to think of it, it doesn't really matter if I tell people. But yet again thank you fro your post.

Oh and I managed to convert most of my friends to bronies around the same time that became a hardcore bronies. One of my friends Anthony wanted diablo III but didnt have enough money so I told him if he watched all of mlp I would buy it for him. He watched it and liked it. Another one of my friends Andy came up to me and said he watched a youtube PMV and said that mlp looked cool, so I told him that it is cool and that I had been watching it for some time now. He watched it and liked it. I have very open minded friends, but then again most of my friends are already otaku's and can respect the animation style.

genius, pure genius my friend hahahaah

• Brohoof 1