Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Question : Does a fandom name help determine if you join the fandom or not?

Satsuki Kiryuin

The name has nonetheless still influenced you in a way that affects how you approach it. You're in the fandom, yes, but you also don't call yourself a Brony (because you think it sounds stupid).

Please stop grasping at straws :confused: He just said he didn't like the name, so he didn't use it. That clearly didn't affect his transition into the fandom nor his decision to watch the show :confused:

• Brohoof 1

Thing is, that only *seriously* matters with cars and other things going out on the mainstream market. The way the Brony fandom spread had absolutely *nothing* to do with its name. Nothing would be any different if we were called Ponyboys or something else like that, because what got this fandom so large in the first place was how vocal the fans were and how it was such an oddity to see older dudes be a fan of My Little Pony. That wasn't affected by the name, and we'd still be the same way we are regardless of what we were called.

People tend to be irrational when they're passionate about something. In my opinion, a majority of all these people that said a name would not matter would definitely hesitate and stay away from the fandom if it was called the "Ponybro" fandom. It doesn't matter if the product is good if the name is crap, because people will stay away from it once they hear the name. The first thing that attracts people is the name, not the content. Do you read the content of a book before knowing its name?

I do think that if it was Ponybros instead of Bronies, that would have some impact on the fandom, but not so much because of how it would be perceived. Mainly I just think "bronies" rolls off the tongue much better than "ponybros." If Ponybros was the term, I might not be so keen to identify myself as one for just that reason. Same reason I don't like "pegasisters." Bronies is just short, catchy, and fun to say!

• Brohoof 1

Please stop grasping at straws :confused: He just said he didn't like the name, so he didn't use it. That clearly didn't affect his transition into the fandom nor his decision to watch the show :confused:

Hey Steve you make a good point ;)

Again OP the name is less important than you think. Note Trekker vs Trekkie. People identify however they want and it doesn't alter their enjoyment.

• Brohoof 1

Again OP the name is less important than you think. Note Trekker vs Trekkie. People identify however they want and it doesn't alter their enjoyment.

There's always a possibility that people would not join the fandom if it was named differently. Don't you think more people would stay away from a place called "Come in here and you'll die." compared to a place called "Competitive Clan Ownage Club"?

People tend to be irrational when they're passionate about something. In my opinion, a majority of all these people that said a name would not matter would definitely hesitate and stay away from the fandom if it was called the "Ponybro" fandom. It doesn't matter if the product is good if the name is crap, because people will stay away from it once they hear the name. The first thing that attracts people is the name, not the content. Do you read the content of a book before knowing its name?

Please, for your own sake, just stop :confused: 

You posed the question "does the name of a fandom help determine if you join a fandom?" 

People answered, and you proceeded to club everyone who thought differently than you over the head with what you think, when they were sharing their personal thoughts on the matter. I don't speak for anyone but myself, and I've been sharing why it doesn't affect my decision this whole time and you've been telling me why I'm wrong for...not caring if something has a catchy name or not?

You asked this question, and you can't expect everyone's answer to be in-line with your own personal beliefs :confused: Stop telling me how I should feel, and stop telling me what other people feel when the general consensus in this thread so far seems to differ from what you're telling me at the moment. You don't speak for anyone but yourself in this regard :confused:

Please, for your own sake, just stop :confused:

There's a difference between defending your opinion and being a jerk. Is it wrong for me to further question people and contribute to this thread by expanding on my thoughts?

There's a difference between defending your opinion and being a jerk. Is it wrong for me to further question people and contribute to this thread by expanding on my thoughts?

Nope, not at all.

Of course, I don't really see why you need to tell people how to feel in this regard :confused: There's a difference between them stating something that fact can dictate otherwise and them stating something from their own personal experience - their own personal experience being if they care about the name of a fandom or not :confused:

Why does people not being bothered by the name of a fandom bother you so much? :confused:

Of course, I don't really see why you need to tell people how to feel in this regard :confused:

I'm not telling people how to feel, I'm asking them why they don't see it my way? I'm interested in trying to see why everyone feels that way and I'm giving them my argument to find out. I'd appreciate if you could stop firing accusations. *PLEASE* stop trying to club me in this thread over the head with your idealogy that I'm being rude and trying to hurt people.

There's always a possibility that people would not join the fandom if it was named differently. Don't you think more people would stay away from a place called "Come in here and you'll die." compared to a place called "Competitive Clan Ownage Club"?

There is a term for what you just did in debate. Just so you know.

I just will say that your idea that name is important is key in some aspects of society. Brony was what was adopted. Some are part of this community and fandom that don't use it even.

And about the importance of a name ... and how it would drive people away. We exist.

MY LITTLE PONY: FRIENDSHIP IS MAGIC

We still exist.

Names are not that important.

• Brohoof 2

I don't think it's necessary. It might make it a bit easier for others to know if you're actually involved with the fandom, but it's not necessary.

As for the second question, it doesn't really matter. We could have been called The Miniature Equine Afficionados for all I care and it wouldn't have made much of a difference.

A name is a name. 

My name is Riley, but I wouldn't be any different of a person if I were named "Steve" or "Eddie." Names are just there to help us identify something, and that's their only true purpose. Doesn't affect the function of it whatsoever, whether it's a fandom or a person or a machine or whatever.

People try to get creative and name things in a way to catch the eye in terms of advertising, but really, that still doesn't affect the function of the labeled object/person/whatever.

So, no. That'd be kind of shallow, quite frankly.

Whoa dude that's deep.

• Brohoof 2

It's not shallow to be less attracted to something with a weird name. It's a common human tendency to be hesitant towards things with names that are strange, or don't sound appealing.

It actually means a lot. Try this for example:

Would you be more curious about something called B, or something called "The Second Letter In The Alphabet"?

Oh I get what you're saying. Then it all depends on the person's prefrence

• Brohoof 1

Oh I get what you're saying. Then it all depends on the person's prefrence

That's fair. To be honest, I wouldn't want to be associated with something that sounds like "Ponybros". XD I suppose names are a really big deal for me.

Don't judge a book by it's cover, ever learned that?

• Brohoof 2

I get what people are saying, but the term brony actually was one of the reasons I was drawn to the fandom. I like fandom names. I've said it countless of times. I don't think I wouldn't have watched the show if the fans were called ponybros. Call me shallow, but I like to associate with a fandom. I like being a Potterhead, a Whovian, and a Brony.

• Brohoof 2

That's fair. To be honest, I wouldn't want to be associated with something that sounds like "Ponybros". XD I suppose names are a really big deal for me.

OBJECTION! You said earlier, "

I'm not telling people how to feel, I'm asking them why they don't see it my way?

so I guess this whole discussion was for naught? :confused:

• Brohoof 2

so I guess this whole discussion was for naught? :confused:

Eh.. I make lotsa mistakes in discussions.. ^^" To clarify, I've been asking people questions and replying actively to continue the discussion and explain why I see it the way I see it. I truly don't intend to force anyone to believe what I believe, but I do wish to understand why people have a certain viewpoint around the idea.

• Brohoof 1

It would be a balancing act. If you did have a fandom name that was to extreme it would negativily effect how the fandom is perceived in the social sphere and thus how large it becomes. Anyone that argues otherwise just doesn't have experience nor schooling in basic sociology. So a fandoms "name" can certainly affect your perception of said fandom, since your reality is only just your perception it would have an effect on if you partake in the fandom or not.

As for ponybro, it sounds just about as juvinille as brony so I doubt using that name would have much if any mesurable effects on the size of the population. However, had the fandom stuck to its 4chan roots and called itself something like "horsefuckers" (inb4 ban hue) then such a extreme name would carry negative conotations and thus adversly effect the size of your fandom. Anyone who says that is fandom would be as big as it is regardless of name is wrong as to extreme or forgin sounding a name can give the group negative conotations.

• Brohoof 3

Eh.. I make lotsa mistakes in discussions.. ^^" To clarify, I've been asking people questions and replying actively to continue the discussion and explain why I see it the way I see it. I truly don't intend to force anyone to believe what I believe, but I do wish to understand why people have a certain viewpoint around the idea.

alright, Keeping the thread alive and putting out points to discuss about. seems ok enough.

• Brohoof 1

Interesting question for sure. I think a good name does certainly help attracting more people to a specific fandom so in that way, I think it's a yes! Saying I'm a brony just sounds better than saying I'm a my little pony fanboy ya know

• Brohoof 1

The name doesn't matter.  I don't refer to myself as a brony ( I think it's kinda dumb).  just a fan of the show.

You are not alone. Many share this opinion. Maybe something can be done of this.

• Brohoof 2

Heh, that's something that's really easy to misread :please:

Note: I didn't even know that's what I was supposed to be called until years after I was one :D

• Brohoof 2