Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Question : Does a fandom name help determine if you join the fandom or not?

Satsuki Kiryuin

OFF TOPIC : MY FIRST THREAD EVER!

Anyways, hello guys! I'd like to ask you all a question that came to my mind just recently. While thinking about fandoms and their creativity, I've also noticed that a lot of Bronies hate the other terms for being a fan of My Little Pony : Friendship is Magic such as :

• Ponybro
  • Pony Fan
  • My Little Pony Fanboy

This has led me to the question;

"Can a fandom's name help determine whether you become a part of the fandom or not?"

As well as;

"Would the fandom still be as big as it is now if it was called the Ponybros? Would you have joined the fandom if it had this term as its name?"

So yeah, thanks for checking out this thread! I'm excited to hear all of your opinions and thoughts.^^

- Love, Otty. <3

Edited by Otty~
  • Brohoof 2

I dunno. I think "Brony" was a term chosen because it sounded the best. Going by that logic, regardless of what title was chosen, it would have been decided as the best title. So I don't think there would have been much impact on that side of things.

However, when it comes down to the individual, it's entirely up to chance. Some may like the term "Brony" because it's more subtle or interesting than "Ponybro". However, considering the fanbase is more about the content, rather than the title we go by, I doubt there'd be much of a difference in its popularity.

A name is a name. 

My name is Riley, but I wouldn't be any different of a person if I were named "Steve" or "Eddie." Names are just there to help us identify something, and that's their only true purpose. Doesn't affect the function of it whatsoever, whether it's a fandom or a person or a machine or whatever.

People try to get creative and name things in a way to catch the eye in terms of advertising, but really, that still doesn't affect the function of the labeled object/person/whatever.

So, no. That'd be kind of shallow, quite frankly.

• Brohoof 8

Not by a long shot.

There would still be fans & haters regardless of what name the fandom went by.

The fandom would probably still be big regardless of the name because it's still the new age idea of adults liking my little pony.

If it was called something like the "Ponybro" fandom, do you think it would not impact the appeal of it? I sure as hell don't like the name Ponybro and I'd definitely hesitate to check out something with a name like that.

If it was called something like the "Ponybro" fandom, do you think it would not impact the appeal of it? I sure as hell don't like the name Ponybro and I'd definitely hesitate to check out something with a name like that.

Actually, yeah. I see what you're getting at here. Ponybro sounds absolutely ridiculous, and I think that would, in fact, affect the appeal of being a fan.

• Brohoof 1

And the show would have the same appeal that makes us like it. Adding on to what I said, some people don't even call themselves bronies and just prefer to be fans of it. Really, the name shouldn't determine anything.

My name is Riley, but I wouldn't be any different of a person if I were named "Steve" or "Eddie."

Does a bittermelon sound as appealing as a watermelon? Names actually help massively in determining what products you buy, what music you listen to, what fandoms you join, etc. People stay away from things that sound weird, such as Bittermelon, or Mystery Meat. It's true that the product itself is no different if it were a different name, but names attract people, and if you have a bad name for a product, people will hesitate to buy it.

Actually, yeah. I see what you're getting at here. Ponybro sounds absolutely ridiculous, and I think that would, in fact, affect the appeal of being a fan.

I dunno; I've seen plenty of people who find the term 'brony' ridiculous, so...what can we say?

Does a bittermelon sound as appealing as a watermelon? Names actually help massively in determining what products you buy, what music you listen to, what fandoms you join, etc. People stay away from things that sound weird, such as Bittermelon, or Mystery Meat. It's true that the product itself is no different if it were a different name, but names attract people, and if you have a bad name for a product, people will hesitate to buy it.

I already addressed that in the post you just quoted, actually :confused:

A better example is the Chevrolet Nova. "Nova" in Spanish translates to something like "No go." Guess what? The car didn't sell very well in Spanish-speaking countries.

• Brohoof 1

I already addressed that in the post you just quoted, actually :confused:

It's not shallow to be less attracted to something with a weird name. It's a common human tendency to be hesitant towards things with names that are strange, or don't sound appealing.

Its just a name Doesnt really mean much

It actually means a lot. Try this for example:

Would you be more curious about something called B, or something called "The Second Letter In The Alphabet"?

It actually means a lot. Try this for example:

Would you be more curious about something called B, or something called "The Second Letter In The Alphabet"?

Lol Didnt see it that way

Still It really doesnt mean much

I though Brony sounded ridiculous before I was one.  Names always sound odd until you get used to them... the more you're exposed to it, the more normal it seems.  Had Ponybro been what I was exposed to constantly, when I joined the fandom it would have seemed normal to me.  Now of course a name can help with identification of what the fandom is which can help with people joining, or it can be something so bad people wouldn't want to join, but for the most part it doesn't matter.

• Brohoof 1

Lol Didnt see it that way Still It really doesnt mean much

Is that why people are more comfortable with a name like Advil over a name like Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug?

The name doesn't matter. I don't refer to myself as a brony ( I think it's kinda dumb). just a fan of the show.

You clearly just proved my point. If you don't like the sound of a term, you tend to hesitate in using it or associating with it, hence what you've just said.

'Ponybros' sounds kind of bad  and would most likely make me hesitate to check out that fandom. Of course if a fandom had an awesome name, I'd be more willing to check it out rather than one with a stupid-sounding name, the first is just more pleasing to be called. 

The fandom would most likely still be big even with a name like 'Ponybros', but probably less people wanting to call themselves that. Most likely even less people taking a fandom named 'Ponybros' seriously. If the fandom was called 'Ponybros', I just would say I'm a fan of the show, I don't like being referred to as 'brony' either, so there's that. 

• Brohoof 2

You clearly just proved my point. If you don't like the sound of a term, you tend to hesitate in using it or associating with it, hence what you've just said.

No.  You asked if we would stay out of the fandom if we didn't like the name.  I'm still a part of the fandom, I just don't let the name decide if I like the fandom or not.  You don't have to like the name or use the name to be a part of a fandom.

• Brohoof 1

No. You asked if we would stay out of the fandom if we didn't like the name. I'm still a part of the fandom, I just don't let the name decide if I like the fandom or not. You don't have to like the name or use the name to be a part of a fandom.

The name has nonetheless still influenced you in a way that affects how you approach it. You're in the fandom, yes, but you also don't call yourself a Brony (because you think it sounds stupid).

Depends. Comfort Food or Grief Bacon? I prefer the former ... My countrymen don't.

Let me ask you this. What do you call Star Wars Fans?

• Brohoof 1

It's not shallow to be less attracted to something with a weird name. It's a common human tendency to be hesitant towards things with names that are strange, or don't sound appealing.

And even still, that doesn't affect the function of the object in question, which is the main draw to a fandom anyway. The Ace Attorney fandom doesn't even have a name and it still belts out fanworks and has very dedicated fans who like it for the central product - which is where the title can matter. With fandoms, it doesn't work that way.

Thing is, that only *seriously* matters with cars and other things going out on the mainstream market. The way the Brony fandom spread had absolutely *nothing* to do with its name. Nothing would be any different if we were called Ponyboys or something else like that, because what got this fandom so large in the first place was how vocal the fans were and how it was such an oddity to see older dudes be a fan of My Little Pony. That wasn't affected by the name, and we'd still be the same way we are regardless of what we were called.

Again, with fandoms it's more about the central object that draws them together - if we were talking "Does the name of a form of media help determine whether you pay attention to it or not?" I'd be inclined to agree with you, but in terms of the fandom of the form of media itself, it quite frankly doesn't work like that. I heard about Bronies through the media, and I checked out the show since it was obvious that's what the fandom itself was centered around. The title is irrelevant.

And honestly, that seems to be what the majority of this thread is saying. *PLEASE* stop trying to club everyone in this thread over the head with your idealogy that the fandom wouldn't be as big without the title "brony." Common sense seems to dictate otherwise. :confused:

• Brohoof 1

The name has nonetheless still influenced you in a way that affects how you approach it. You're in the fandom, yes, but you also don't call yourself a Brony (because you think it sounds stupid).

I wouldn't feel any different about the fandom if we were called goobynoodlers or ponyawesomes.

• Brohoof 1