Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

movies/tv Should Scooby Doo End?

SeraphStar

Scooby Doo and the WWE, the New Scooby Doo Mysteries, Scooby Pup Time Special... when will it end?

Well gang, it looks like we've got a mystery on our hands. :V GHOSTS Should the endless re-imaginings of Scoobert "Scooby" Doo and Mystery Inc. stop. The bad jokes, the not-so-scary monsters and now: the stupid pop culture references (and integration) in an effort to retain some relevance.

Let's take a look:

Scooby Doo, Where Are You?, the original run of Scooby Doo, premiered in September 1969. The formula was simple: Mystery Inc shows up, Ahhh! Real Monsters, run around, Shaggy is a stoner, solve the mystery. It was so popular, that it lasted from 1969... to 1970 :o (in all honesty, it was popular).

So what happened after this pivotal piece of cinema? The same thing as Jeff the Killer — Spinoff Time! (And like every JtK spinoff... /)_- )

The New Scooby Doo Movies featured the Three Stooges, the Harlem Globe Trotters, Batman (and the other one, I guess) and others. It was pretty watchable IMO, because in addition to the original format: show up, Goosebumps, run around, the munchies, solve the mystery — we also got different characters to break up the monotonous crap.

Then The Scooby Doo Show ... never watched it, though I'm sure I'm not missing much.

And then we get everybody's favorite mutant puppy — "Scrappy Dappy Doo!" :eww: in an attempt to boost ratings.

Soon after Scrappy is introduced, we get to a new show lineup, revolving around Shaggy, Scooby and Scrappy. It is also in this new lineup that things take a twist: the monsters are real! :o

My opinions on Scrappy aside, I liked: Scooby Doo and the Ghoul School as well as Reluctant Werewolf and the last one I can't remember, where Shaggy's relative leaves a property to him, and it's haunted by General Beauregard (who actually is some doof in a mask — at least the one doing the actual haunting).

*reads Wikipedia* Gah, there's so much of this crap, I'm just ending it around here.

I enjoyed the live action movies and the last animated thing I really liked was Scooby Doo and the Cyber Chase.

So what does everyone think: Has Scooby Doo gone on long enough, or do you want moar?

Edited by SeraphStar
  • Brohoof 1

I want it to end.

I've always wanted it to end.

I honestly despise scooby doo. Every single time a movie or the show pops up I want to crawl into a shark tank and get murdered.

The only movie I could even put up with was the Cyber Chase one.

• Brohoof 2

Haha, made me laugh so much reading that .

Which part do you like least, if I may ask?

The animation, the episode pacing, the plot as a whole, or something else that is equally horrible or more so?

Haha, made me laugh so much reading that .

Which part do you like least, if I may ask?

The animation, the episode pacing, the plot as a whole, or something else that is equally horrible or more so?

I'm not really sure why I dislike the show...

Like I can't exactly pinpoint parts that make me despise it. It's just one of those shows I tried to watch and just absolutely hated it no matter how hard I tried to like it.

• Brohoof 2

I really liked New Scooby Doo Movies, A Pup Named Scooby Doo and Shaggy and Scooby Doo Get A Clue. That last one was incredibly odd but fun anyways.

But now, yeah it's hard to justify 40 odd years of the same thing.

I’m with . on this one:

I despise Scooby Doo, I’ve always thought it was rubbish: I can't say I've seen that new movie they did but I recall seeing the TV show and thinking it was rubbish and not getting why anybody liked it. 

"and I would have gotten away with it to if it wasn't for those meddling kids" I like that quote though which I'm pretty sure was from Scooby Doo

• Brohoof 2

What's New Scooby Doo (Mostly because Simple Plan sung the intro xD), Pup Named Scooby Doo, Cyber Chase, Zombie Island, and the first two live action Scooby Doo movies were very awesome. Those should be a little more praised...I highly dislike what they are doing, actually shipping the characters...sure they have a love interest, obviously, but I always believed that was sorta a punchline with the gang.

Daphne tries to impress Fred, but Fred's ego is too huge...I liked it better when Velma didn't have a love interest towards Shaggy either...I see them more like a "brother and sister" relationship.
^  If you are wandering where you are getting this info, I got this from like this recently new animated series of Scooby Doo called "Scooby Doo: Mystery Incorporated" where they make this blandly obvious that Daphne, Fred, Velma, and Shaggy are dating each other but have very big relationship issues. 

I swear every time my little brother turned it on when he used to like it, I always told him to shut that poor excuse of Scooby Doo off and watch the REAL shiz. >.>

In short, I would love for them to keep this alive as long as they don't ruin it with modern stuff. They're supposed to be, like, totally 80's or something?

Edited by teacup-bunnies23
  • Brohoof 1

It might end someday. The new movies are pretty terrible.

But don't you dare talk like that about my favourite and arguably the best cartoon franchise of all time. FiM is still unoriginal, clichéd and generic, and absolutely boring to most audiences. Nothing in comparison to something new and original, especially from the 60s. (Oh, wait you liked the horrible live action movies? That explains everything...)

Most of the shows that came after the first one were nearly as good.

The humor is good.

No matter the show, the music is creepy and atmospherical.

The monsters (most of them, at least) are very intimidating.

The characters, while generic, clichéd or bland, are still overall enjoyable.

Watch the 90s movies. Those were VERY dark.

And Scooby Doo still remains as one of the great animation icons.

I love Scooby Doo, I never wanted it to end. Until today, when I see the new shows and the new movies, I immediately dispise them.

I don't want to, but it has to happen.

-

What I liked most about Scooby Doo is that it didn't need changes to be good. Just like the Godzilla franchise, it kept being about the same thing, offering new adventures and more, and more entertainment. Just like many other franchises that start old, it can be revamped into the new eras, because the formula still works.

• Brohoof 2

I've always liked Scooby-Doo but haven't seen all the spinoffs ^_^ I've seen Scooby-Doo Where Are You which was pretty good :) I really liked What's New Scooby-Doo and I also watched the live action movies. Well the first two were meh ^_^ Scooby-Doo and the second one Monsters Unleashed :) Then the two made for TV Cartoon Network live action movies that came out a few years ago were forgettable at best and Curse of the Lake Monster was just blech :eww:

I highly dislike what they are doing, actually shipping the characters...sure they have a love interest, obviously, but I always believed that was sorta a punchline with the gang.

^This right here...honestly Mystery Incorporated was where I really saw the franchise going downhill for real. The actual concept of the show is pretty neat, there's a grand overarching mystery that has to do with all the small ones per episode. But...despite that I find the show hard to watch for me personally, at least most episodes. Really it's because of them shipping the gang with each other. As soon as the first episode came around and I saw Velma and Shaggy were dating I was just like...NOPE!! What have they done?! :o And then there's the whole Fred and Daphne drama..oh lord -_- I know Fred has always been a trap genius but never before has he been so obcessed over them, and Daphne has never been obcessed over trying to get his attention. It's just wrong :( AND THEN HE PROPOSED TO HER IN ONE EPISODE AND THEN AFTER THAT THEY ALL SPLIT UP? WHAT THE HELL?! :angry: The gang were always presented as close friends and this new drama they presented just ruined Mystery Incorporated for me >_>

But besides that, I really would just prefer for the franchise to continue before things get worse. It's best for all us old fans to just look back on the glory days of Scooby and the gang, and hope no more bad things happen.

• Brohoof 2

But besides that, I really would just prefer for the franchise to continue before things get worse. It's best for all us old fans to just look back on the glory days of Scooby and the gang, and hope no more bad things happen.

I really hope to god they don't make this canon. ._. 
  • Brohoof 1

I saw some of the original Scooby Doo when I was a kid, and I like it. Nobody can doubt it's influence. That said, I don't think it really holds up. At the end of the day, each episode features more or less the same plot: Some supernatural shit goes down, the gang investigates and it turns put to be some dude in a mask. Shaggy and Scooby do some food related shenanigans. Velma loses her glasses and solves everything. It's fun, but gets tiring. It had it's time in the spotlight, but now it's time to let the gang rest.

Scooby Doo meets Jonnhy Bravo has a special place in my heart.

Edited by Banul
  • Brohoof 3

I agree with everyone who said it needs to stop.

I mean, when it comes to television, I'm a pretty layed back person. As long as it isn't boring, like most sitcoms in my opinion, I can sit down and watch it. I really don't have a opinion about most things on television, whether they be good or bad, until I see a review of it, which rarely ever happens.

HOWEVER! Any Scooby Doo movie or television show fits under the category of not being boring for me, yet everytime I watch even a second of one, I wanna slump in my seat and change the channel. I used to like Scooby Doo, but I guess after about 5 new series and 7 movies, I just lost all interest in Scoopy. I don't even bother to watch a Scooby Doo movie on T.V. that I haven't seen before!

I wish I could get back into watching it, but it has indeed run it's course and to say for a lack of better wording, it needs to die.

• Brohoof 2

To the people who hated this, do you hate the newer generations or the older generations or both? (If you hate the older generations then I pretty much have lost all respect for your tastes in good old-fashioned cartoons.)

On to my opinion, Scooby-Doo was basically my childhood obsession. I loved the first gen, the What's New, Scooby-Doo?, and some of the movies including Zombie Island, Cyber Chase, etc. I also loved the video games, Night of 100 Frights, Mystery Mayhem, and Unmasked.

But the newer ones are meh. I think they should revert back to the old times if they do decide to continue it.

• Brohoof 1

I saw some of the original Scooby Doo when I was a kid, and I like it. Nobody can doubt it's influence. That said, I don't think it really holds up. At the end of the day, each episode features more or less the same plot: Some supernatural shit goes down, the gang investigates and it turns put to be some dude in a mask. Shaggy and Scooby do some food related shenanigans. Velma loses her glasses and solves everything. It's fun, but gets tiring. It had it's time in the spotlight, but now it's time to let the gang rest.

Scooby Doo meets Jonnhy Bravo has a special place in my heart.

They had a crossover? Oh my gosh, I have to watch this. xD

I used to LOVE Johnny Bravo. Have you watched Scooby Doo meets Batman and Robin?

To the people who hated this, do you hate the newer generations or the older generations or both? (If you hate the older generations then I pretty much have lost all respect for your tastes in good old-fashioned cartoons.)

On to my opinion, Scooby-Doo was basically my childhood obsession. I loved the first gen, the What's New, Scooby-Doo?, and some of the movies including Zombie Island, Cyber Chase, etc. I also loved the video games, Night of 100 Frights, Mystery Mayhem, and Unmasked.

But the newer ones are meh. I think they should revert back to the old times if they do decide to continue it.

I don't think people hate the new generation because it's new, but dislike it because of what they are doing with the show. >.<

Edited by teacup-bunnies23
  • Brohoof 2

I love the original scooby-doo, it was unique and holds a place within thy heart.

Avast, the new animated shows are getting a little ridiculous and they do need to stop.

Scooby Doo meets Jonnhy Bravo

Scooby Doo meets Jonnhy Bravo

Why have I not heard of this...I love Johnny Bravo.

• Brohoof 1

@@Banul Johnny Bravo: "Jinkies, jinkies... isn't that some kind of cereal?"

@@Darker the first live action film had so many references to the original (and overarching themes of the franchise as a whole), that I couldn't help but like it (also had some good songs on there

> >

< <

). The second film being a sequel that had a bit of ooc-ness going on had me interested as well. ^_^

@@Banul Johnny Bravo: "Jinkies, jinkies... isn't that some kind of cereal?"

@@Darker the first live action film had so many references to the original (and overarching themes of the franchise as a whole), that I couldn't help but like it (also had some good songs on there

> >

< <

). The second film being a sequel that had a bit of ooc-ness going on had me interested as well. ^_^

The second one was the only decent because it referenced stuff from the original Scooby Doo show, like, when Shaggy and Scooby are doing a barricade in front of a door, the monster helps them.

The first one was stupid beyond belief, with unfunny gags, horrible CGI effects, horrible writing and horrible character development. The villain was ridiculous. I mean, everyone hates Scrappy, but he was never a bad guy to begin with.

Also, Scooby Doo looks awful. I guess this is the only tolerable thing I can give this movie, since it actually looks like a realistic Scoobs.

Edited by Darker