Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Time Shield

Ok, I timed myself taking it easy through the game, basically going at a slower pace like a first-time player might do (stopping to investigate things, reading notes out loud, letting between-level storybook sequences play out without being skipped, etc.)  Making it through without any losses, it still took me a little over 38 minutes doing it this way.  I'm going to say that that's a decent length for a game made by one person.  :D

I think I might still give it some graphical uplifts, although I need to be careful.  If I improve some graphics but not others, then it'll look weird.  I may experiment to see what looks good.  I did find a pony model, but can't get it to work with Unity right, nevermind that I don't actually know anything about animating a 3D character model.

Yeah, 38 minutes could work. I've seen games less than that were pretty successful

As for the pony model, if things go well with this current game you could always work on trying to get more people together and get some stuff like that working

I've gone ahead and done a few graphical uplifts.  The light sources have now been replaced with better-looking ones.  The ceiling lights never did really fit in with the theme, so I made them look like glowing crystals shining the spotlight down.  The torches actually look like what they're supposed to look like now.

post-28333-0-23470300-1422737359_thumb.png

post-28333-0-30145900-1422737361_thumb.png

• 3 weeks later...

Abruptly I've started experiencing an audio bug in the game. It started out of nowhere and is not consistently reproducible. I don't know what change could have caused it, but if I don't find it's cause, players could find sound effects randomly not playing when they're supposed to. I hope I can fix it, but it's frustrating me so far...

*EDIT*  Crisis averted!  I found and fixed the bug.  Game development is back on track.

Edited by Time Shield

(edited)

Current version (very similar to the last video I posted, except with Twilight voice clips):

I was thinking of setting the camera just a bit lower.  For some reason, the more I look at it, the more it seems like Twilight is huge in this (or else the dungeon is very small).  Opinions?

Edited by Time Shield

(edited)

I agree on the shortening her if you want her to feel more like how she would be. Maybe put the camera just a little above the tables? Also whoever did Twilight's voice did a fantastic job

Ok, I lowered the camera slightly and adjusted things to be a little lower for the player as well (door handles/locks and other things on the wall), and then ran through the game again to make sure everything still worked right.  The size feels better now.

On another note, a friend rigged up a model of Twilight so that I can move it around in-game, not for the player to see but for the purpose of casting shadows from lights.  It works, but unfortunately it doesn't look that great since the only time you can see the shadow is when it's behind the camera, and the lack of a profile makes it difficult to see a clear shape from the shadow.  In addition, the model isn't actually animated, and I am admittedly a terrible 3D animator so I can't really do it myself.  All in all, I think it's best if I leave it out.  It's a lot of work to go through just so that you can sometimes see your own shadow.

And yes, I'm quite pleased with the VA for Twilight.   :adorkable:

Edited by Time Shield

Ok, I lowered the camera slightly and adjusted things to be a little lower for the player as well (door handles/locks and other things on the wall), and then ran through the game again to make sure everything still worked right.  The size feels better now.

Agreed, if you want to go through the game and feel more like Twilight, every little bit counts ^^

On another note, a friend rigged up a model of Twilight so that I can move it around in-game, not for the player to see but for the purpose of casting shadows from lights.  It works, but unfortunately it doesn't look that great since the only time you can see the shadow is when it's behind the camera, and the lack of a profile makes it difficult to see a clear shape from the shadow.  In addition, the model isn't actually animated, and I am admittedly a terrible 3D animator so I can't really do it myself.  All in all, I think it's best if I leave it out.  It's a lot of work to go through just so that you can sometimes see your own shadow.

You could always have just a little circle shadow, just to give you more... Solidity.

And yes, I'm quite pleased with the VA for Twilight.   :adorkable:

Yeah I thought it was too good for a minute XD Almost sounded like you ripped it out from the show, then it said stuff I couldn't remember from the show at any point so... Yeah lol

(edited)

You could always have just a little circle shadow, just to give you more... Solidity.

Well, you can't really look down far enough to see your own hooves even if they did exist as something visible in-game (which they don't).  Casting a shadow away from where you were standing would be visible; however, a circular drop shadow would not be noticeable since you couldn't look down far enough to see it anyway.

I found out I should be receiving the narration lines tomorrow.  That leaves just some art, and it's done.

Edited by Time Shield

Well, you can't really look down far enough to see your own hooves even if they did exist as something visible in-game (which they don't).  Casting a shadow away from where you were standing would be visible; however, a circular drop shadow would not be noticeable since you couldn't look down far enough to see it anyway.

I found out I should be receiving the narration lines tomorrow.  That leaves just some art, and it's done.

Ah ok, and super exciting!!!

The person who was going to be doing some art for the game has been extremely busy lately and doesn't know when they'll be able to do the art.  I'm probably going to need to find someone else if it isn't soon (since I really want to release this).

• Brohoof 1

Okay, prepping what I hope to be the final release version.   :squee:

On a side note, are there any sites out there that might be willing to host the download file?  All I have is DropBox, and it's probably limited in how much can be downloaded from it.  It'll do for now, but if too many people want it, I'll need somewhere else to put it.