Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What If Fluttershy's past was faked (read and it will make sense)

TheMisterManGuy

I've come up with a 2nd possible theory as to why Fluttershy is so shy and has these random outbursts of anger and rage. Though bear with me, this may get convoluted and would most likely have to be simplified for the show.

What if the reason Fluttershy's backstory & parents are rarely explained is because Fluttershy actually doesn't remember her true past. What if her father was a hardcore war leader and Flutershy, or her actual name, Slash Wing was forced to volunteer. Thus strenghening her to be a brave, tough, and badass war pegasus. But after some sort of slip up, her father decided to disown her.

So he had a spell casted that had Slash Wing's memory resetted almost completely, gave her a new identity and personality, and banished her from Cloudsdale to Ponyvile. All the memories of the life Fluttershy thought she had on cloudsdale were actually faked from the spell. The reason she's so shy and cowardly is because that was the new personality programed by the spell. And the reason she has these freakish displays for rage and/or courage is because her past training still remains in her psyche. To this day, Fluttershy remains unaware of her true past.

Now I understand there may be some plot holes in this headcannon. Like how did she come to know Rainbow then, or how did she ACTUALLY get her cutie mark. But this is just a rough idea for now, If I come up with a way to fill in these holes, I'll update the post. But what do you think so far?

• Brohoof 2

I don't know about the whole memory erasing thing but I do like the idea of her being disowned by her family to account for her shyness and lack of background. I think it makes more sense that she would be disowned BECAUSE she's weak and timid not it being a result of that.

Besides, Equestria doesn't really seem to have 'wars' anymore. Just the occasional crisis.

• Brohoof 1

Interesting idea, but ultimately it sounds like a lot for the show to explain. I fine with the way Fluttershy is explained. I agree with others that it might make a good fanfiction, but I'm not sure how it will work for the show.

Edited by rpc8169
  • Brohoof 1

Even if this was made canon how would it be resolved? How would she regain her memories and would she turn back to her former self or stay meek and mild? A confrontation with her father seems likely but I would imagine that if she became a "badass war pegasus" again she probably wouldn't emulate the element of kindness anymore.

• Brohoof 2

Even if this was made canon how would it be resolved? How would she regain her memories and would she turn back to her former self or stay meek and mild? A confrontation with her father seems likely but I would imagine that if she became a "badass war pegasus" again she probably wouldn't emulate the element of kindness anymore.

Well, the resolution could be that she could become a middle ground. Retaining the kindness and compassion of Fluttershy, and the corurage and combat agility of Slash Wing.

• Brohoof 1

Well, the resolution could be that she could become a middle ground. Retaining the kindness and compassion of Fluttershy, and the corurage and combat agility of Slash Wing.

That sounds like a slap in the face to all her character development thus far, to just have her regain some memories and... Poof! She's a badflank now with none of her major flaws left.

What makes Fluttershy brave is that she is normally just the opposite, so that when it really counts she sums up the courage and does what she has to for herself and her friends.

• Brohoof 4

@@Roughshod,

It's not impossible for a character to go badflank and then go back to being submissive after being a badflank backfired

tumblr_m8amsly0sc1r72ht7o1_500.gif 

1125944994.jpg

Case in point, this guy. He goes from tearing people apart with his bare hands while smiling, because they're evil and deserve it(in his eyes), to acting like a Power Ranger

OT: You should be charged with battery for cutting me with the edge of your post

Sure, I can accept that. In fact that's pretty much what Fluttershy does now on certain occasions although not with as much violence(Power Ponies notwithstanding). It's typically used as comic relief.

But what TheMisterManGuy is suggesting was that Fluttershy would retain both her meek and compassionate character while still being a combat trained, warrior bred pegasus badflank. I can't see how those traits wouldn't contradict each other and cause confusion for others around her.

Edited by Roughshod
  • Brohoof 1

@@Roughshod,

Yeah, see, in my example, the guy turning badflank is portrayed as a bad thing. He toyed with enemies for too long, and eventually, one of them went kamikaze and ended up killing his father in the process. Because of this, the son's spirit was shattered, and he almost lost his next battle until he was coached from the afterlife by his father, giving him the confidence he needed to win.

After that, he decided to drop the attitude with maturity, and became a better person for it 

Actually, Fluttershy at Flight Camp makes a certain amount of sense.  IMO, Pegasi have a special, technical vocabulary for flight terms.  Terms for how you hold your wings while doing maneuvers, etc. & all Pegasi have to attend to learn this, it is like summer school.

Regardless of why she was there, that could be where her father's plans began to go awry.  F discovered how fascinating critters can be & decided "I Ain't Marching Anymore" & her family just couldn't handle it.  That is, Episode 23 is the true story, just not ALL the story.

However, the others have a point.  I could see this as fanfic, but it's a long way from being even a head cannon.

The whole militarism thing with the pegasi seems more like a part of their ancient heritage rather than their present culture. Sure there are pegasus royal guards but the other races are included in this as well. I personally tend to believe the pegasi abandoned their militarism over the ages as they became more absorbed into Equestria society and the other tribes.

In any case one thing remains certain, Fluttershy is lacking some serious back story and I really wonder if she has a family at all.

• Brohoof 2

In any case one thing remains certain, Fluttershy is lacking some serious back story and I really wonder if she has a family at all.

I am more than sure that it will be solved in future episodes,  Though In my opinion fluttershy shyness could due   the disregard from her family.....or yeah, maybe she is orphan!

But a warlord past......it is a bit out from my book. 0-0 Still would be a interesting fanfic....though

crazy_fluttershy_by_supermatt314-d4lz8b9

Fluttershy(?): I remember, I remember all!!!! hahahaha!!

surprised_pinkie_pie_vector_by_flawlesst

Pinkie pie: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Well, she wasn't banished from Cloudsdale for sure, because in the flashback in Cutie Mark Chronicles shows her as a filly in Cloudsdale. She fell to the ground after being pushed off a cloud. And unless it's stated that never happened, I don't think your headcanon really makes much sense. It is a cool concept, though, I'll give you that.

Well, she wasn't banished from Cloudsdale for sure, because in the flashback in Cutie Mark Chronicles shows her as a filly in Cloudsdale. She fell to the ground after being pushed off a cloud. And unless it's stated that never happened, I don't think your headcanon really makes much sense. It is a cool concept, though, I'll give you that.

The theory I was proposing was that the event Fluttershy thought she remembered was a fake memory, ment to block off memories of her former self.

I agree with the sentiment that while this would make a good fanfic, it doesn't fit well with the established backstories of the other Mane 6.

Pinkie Pie grew up as a simple farmer inspired by a sudden rainbow to see the world in newer, happier eyes and to embrace spontaneity. Rainbows don't come often, but she realized that she could make people happy just like a rainbow could. As it turns out, parties were a great way of doing that.

Rarity was an ordinary child in Ponyville suburbia. Her unicorn magic lead her to out to a geode and she discovered that she had a talent for gem-finding -- yet unusually went for a profession not directly related to her cutie mark talent. With her creativity, she put her gem-finding magic to use in high fashion instead.

And so on. The thing in common with their stories is that there's an element of mundanity. Falling out of the sky like Fluttershy isn't very mundane, but in this setting where pegasi are common, it is not as strange as it sounds. The incident was inspired by schoolyard bullying, grounding it (ha) in some real world situations.

Making Fluttershy a mind-wiped child soldier would be a totally cool twist if Equestria was established as a setting where that could slot easily into. It would be a good surprise in Avatar: The Last Airbender, for example, another children's show.

But Equestria is not war-torn in canon and mind-wiping hasn't been established as a normal possibility -- we've seen Crysalis do it selectively, not ordinary ponies globally. You'd need to carefully ease in this change in how we see Equestria for that to work.

Making that many changes to the 'verse is certainly possible with fanfiction, but unlikely to fall into place with canon. 

• Brohoof 1

I've come up with a 2nd possible theory as to why Fluttershy is so shy and has these random outbursts of anger and rage. Though bear with me, this may get convoluted and would most likely have to be simplified for the show.

What if the reason Fluttershy's backstory & parents are rarely explained is because Fluttershy actually doesn't remember her true past. What if her father was a hardcore war leader and Flutershy, or her actual name, Slash Wing was forced to volunteer. Thus strenghening her to be a brave, tough, and badass war pegasus. But after some sort of slip up, her father decided to disown her. 

So he had a spell casted that had Slash Wing's memory resetted almost completely, gave her a new identity and personality, and banished her from Cloudsdale to Ponyvile. All the memories of the life Fluttershy thought she had on cloudsdale were actually faked from the spell. The reason she's so shy and cowardly is because that was the new personality programed by the spell. And the reason she has these freakish displays for rage and/or courage is because her past training still remains in her psyche. To this day, Fluttershy remains unaware of her true past.

Now I understand there may be some plot holes in this headcannon  . Like how did she come to know Rainbow then, or how did she ACTUALLY get her cutie mark. But this is just a rough idea for now, If I come up with a way to fill in these holes, I'll update the post. But what do you think so far?

I mean as far as fanfiction goes I've seen WAY worse concepts role down the pike, so I say go to town and make your flutters is a reprogrammed bad ass fic. However there is just no way in Tartarus that this is even remotely canon.  

Like for example:

What war was this "Slash Wing" in? Why has there been no mention of it? What was the war about? Who was the war with? Was it an internal/civil war or an external war with some other country? If Civil what caused it in the first place? If External what nation? Why was she forced to volunteer? were other ponies forced to volunteer? Why was this never brought up? How long was the draft for? Was this when she was a filly cause she was in Cloudsdale as a filly, so does that mean they were drafting young ponies into the war? What usefulness would young fillies even have in combat? Also she has record of living in Ponyville while STILL being a filly, so does that mean she completed her campaign while still only a child? 

Why did her father wipe her memory? What was the split up about? How did he do it? Was this sanctioned by the ponies she was forced to volunteer for? Was she still on her tour of duty when he did that? Does that mean she went AWAL and nopony bothered to retrieve her? What did she do that would make him disown her so completely? Why did she do it? How the hay does any of these answers fit into established canon without completely breaking the narrative and vibe of the show?

• Brohoof 2

Upon thinking it over, I recall Dash was there, too. (DUH!)  Did they mind wipe her also? To me, it just makes more sense to say Cutie Mark Chronicles was right & any brainwashing was later.  Also, How old are soldiers?  IRL, because guns are fairly easy to use, we see a lot of child soldiers.  Some are so young, they should still be in grade school.  But, Equestria still uses muscle powered weapons which means soldiers have to be older.

On the 2nd other hand, I recall a PBS show about feral children. In part, it went into the fact that they have a lot of trouble learning to talk.  Classic theory was that was because they were stupid & that is why they got lost.  Modern theory says a lot of animals have to learn stuff by a certain age or THEY CAN'T.  The feral children weren't around people so they never learned until it was too late.  Maybe Pegasi are the same way about flying.  Maybe F can't fly well because she had her mind wiped & had to relearn after it was too late?  Maybe she was as good as Dash, but lost it.