Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

We don't see a whole lot of the main 6's other friends

Zoraxe

I mean, they do have other friends right? The mane 6 are a close knit group but it kinda makes it hard to see any of them have friends or a life outside of each other because of how much their friendship is focussed on.

But we know its not true, Rarity is in a musical group, Pinkie Pie is friends with everypony in town, uh... applejack has a close extended family.... Rainbow had a non-mane six friend, but lost her... then gained another... and lost her too... Twilight... has a brother.... uh... Fluttershy has animals.

Hmm... for a show about friendship this show doesn't really explore the other friends these ponies have a whole lot, I like to see more about their lives outside of each other.

Edit- Oh darn, I posted this thread in the wrong section. Can a mod move this please?

Edited by Zoraxe
  • Brohoof 3

If they showed their other friendships I think the show would become more confusing! I think it's better to have one group where every now and then maybe some other friends appear but if the focus was on other friendships then there would be a lot of more things going on out there and it would be more difficult to focus on the mane 6.

• Brohoof 6

What is confusing for me is that the episodes are spread apart with a time gap of about a week. With that knowledge, it makes it easier for me to see them with lives outside of their friendship.

Edited by Time Pirate
  • Brohoof 3

As the topic of discussion concerns the show, it has been moved to Show Discussion.

Thank you, and please continue your regularly scheduled discussion. :)

• Brohoof 3

Well, it's highly likely that the mane six are best friends while anyone else is a second or third tier friend or acquaintance. It does seem odd that these six would up and abandon all previous friendships for five ponies they met upon averting an apocalyptic crisis. It's not unbelievable that Twilight would have drifted away from her friends in Canterlot overtime, though no correspondence between them and Twilight has been shown. The friends who lived in Ponyville their whole lives don't have the excuse of distance though. I suppose Applejack as a workaholic/pony tending family farm may have kept largely to herself over the years, interacting primarily with family, and maybe Fluttershy withdrew from the masses and spent all her time with the local animals, but there's no way Rainbowdash would cut all ties with her Cloudsdale friends, Rarity is running a business that practically requires networking and building relationships, and Pinkie Pie is the most social of the bunch, so she would have likely had close friends prior to being part of the mane six.

• Brohoof 1

I imagine that not including the other various friends in episodes mostly comes down to a writing choice. In the creative world, including anything other than what's absolutely necessary to the plot/song/painting /etc. would ould actually hurt rather than help.

A quote comes to mind:

"A true artist knows he has achieved perfection not when he has nothing left to add, but nothing left to take away. "

Edited by IronPuddinG
  • Brohoof 1

We still havent got any episode focused on Rarity and Rainbow Dash friendshipping. Not to mention Spike and anyone except Rarity and Twilight or Discord and anyone else than Fluttershy or Twilight. There is no point in focusing on other friends when they cannot keep up with the established cast.

• Brohoof 1

They've already got 10 characters (Mane 6, CMCs, & Spike) & that's a lot for a show.  A lot of hit sitcoms have fewer & not many have more.  Think about your favorites  & look at how many core characters they have.  Seinfeld only had 4, Star Trek was mostly Kirk, Spock & McCoy + Uhuru, Chekov, & Scotty in minor roles, etc.

• Brohoof 1

If they showed their other friendships I think the show would become more confusing! I think it's better to have one group where every now and then maybe some other friends appear but if the focus was on other friendships then there would be a lot of more things going on out there and it would be more difficult to focus on the mane 6.

yep, that's true, not to mention it would be pointless in showing each friend of each of the mane6. If you noticed, this is also true with the CMCs, just because the show only focus on the group, doesn't mean they don't have friends outside it, as It's safe to assume Applebloom still hang out with Peppermint Lips, and Sweetie and Scootie might have theirs as well, just not shown in the show. Otherwise it'll only over saturate FiM with characters we won't remember

• Brohoof 1

I don't like the idea that the only friends they have are the other mane 6 and nopony else.

Before they met, they had 0 friend? Really? Maybe it's true for Twilight, but I don't see why the others wouldn't have other friends, that would be weird...

Edited by Blobulle
  • Brohoof 2

I'm sure they have other friends but it's not unrealistic to have a group of friends like that.

I have a group of friends that I hang out with all the time. I have other friends too but I don't hang out with them all that much.

• Brohoof 1

You know, I bet they hang with their non-Mane 6 friends between episodes. ^^

I like to think so.

We still havent got any episode focused on Rarity and Rainbow Dash friendshipping. Not to mention Spike and anyone except Rarity and Twilight or Discord and anyone else than Fluttershy or Twilight. There is no point in focusing on other friends when they cannot keep up with the established cast.

I'm not saying that there should be entire episodes based on friendships, just more evidence that they exist.

Besides, would anyone really object to a Coco Pommel episode?

• Brohoof 1

I like to think so.

I'm not saying that there should be entire episodes based on friendships, just more evidence that they exist.

Besides, would anyone really object to a Coco Pommel episode?

I dont think anyone would be against any episode with a side character. As long as they are interesting, that is. I could see potential with Cheese, Trixie or Flim and Flam. Maybe even Coco if its related to Rarity. Although i can imagine that characters like Coco, Big Mac and Bulk Biceps are just too dificult to write entire episode about. They need to be able to carry entire episode on their personality and dynamic. And both lack them as any non talkative or shy character.

• Brohoof 1

You know, I bet they hang with their non-Mane 6 friends between episodes. ^^

This is why I love the comics so much.

One of them focus on Shining Armor and Twilight trying to find ghosts, another focuses on Spike and Princess Celestia, and there are various others that you probably wouldn't see in the show.

• Brohoof 2

Well we know Rainbow dash is probably friends with Derpy and bulk biceps. 

Pinkie Pie is friends with everypony ever. But, we never actually get to see her handing out with any of the others. Just watching her have a short convo with Bon Bon or Colgate would be nice enough. 

Other than that, I have not a single clue if any of them does have a single friend outside of their group.

We never even heard of Applejack having anypony else as a friend. Neither for Rarity and Twlight didn't have friends before coming to ponyville because she was a big mega nerd level 42 super wizard. 

• Brohoof 1

Aside from Twilight, I think we might have a good idea of what their other friends are.

Pinkie Pie is friends with everyone

Rarity probably has associates from Canterlot, Manehattan and other high society places

Rainbow probably has her weather/flight team

AJ has her ginormous family and Fluttershy has her animals

Edited by The Sexy Pharaoh
  • Brohoof 1

Aside from Twilight, I think we might have a good idea of what their other friends are.

Pinkie Pie is friends with everyone

Rarity probably has associates from Canterlot, Manehattan and other high society places

Rainbow probably has her weather/flight team

AJ has her ginormous family and Fluttershy has her animals

I don't think Rainbow Dash is actually friends with her team though. 

Also, Family and animals do not count as actual friends. 

Do you consider your pets to be friends? If so, why even bother having human friends if animals are an equal substitute? 

• Brohoof 1

Do you consider your pets to be friends? If so, why even bother having human friends if animals are an equal substitute? 

I disagree

- Judging by the show, at the very least I believe she's at least in good standing with her weather team

- Yes they do(and should), animals and family also apply as friends for several people. For example, personally I consider my nephew(he's only a year younger than me) to be one of my closest friends as well

• Brohoof 1

It's not unbelievable that Twilight would have drifted away from her friends in Canterlot

She didn't have any friends then. I'm sure she must have made other friends. The other ponies except for Fluttershy probably has friends too. The show simply never included them in the episodes. Pinkie is friends with every pony but we never saw any specific friendship between her and any other pony.

• Brohoof 1

People use animals as an example for Fluttershy friends like they are forgetting that she's hanging out with Discord too.

You need to consider that Fluttershy is able to communicate with animals. And they are also quite intelligent too. Basically they could work as substitution for friends in their world.

• Brohoof 1