Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Out of all ponies in Equestria, who understands Pinkie the most?

Osiria

I've been thinking this question since many ponies don't understand Pinkie from time to time, who does understand Pinkie the most of the time?

I think most likely are Dashie, Maud and Spike

Dashie plays pranks with Pinkie, and Pinkie seems cherish her more than other friends.

Maud is Pinkie's big sister(probably the closest one) and care about her a lot. It's very possible they have developed a mutual understanding.

I personally believe Spike understands Pinkie the most because 

1.He having fun mostly with Pinkie (if helping Rarity doesn't count)

2.He usually tries to understand Pinkie rather than taking it just as "Pinkie being Pinkie" 

3.He was the only one who knew the real Pinkie in Too Many Pinkie Pies, and the only one appreciate the "You gotta share" song in Over a Barrel

4.They are really cute together

17310__safe_pinkie-pie_spike_animated_no

Any thoughts?

Edited by Osiria
  • Brohoof 3

I would argue that Maud understands Pinkie Pie the best  :maud:

Edited by Royal Blue Jay
  • Brohoof 4

Definitely Maud, given that they're sisters and are very close, even if Maud doesn't always show it.

I know they're bestest sisters, and I like Maud too, but I just don't feel like that Maud understands Pinkie better than Mane five. They don't spend much time together since Pinkie moved into Ponyville. Maud's episode didn't show any sign of her having a better understanding, if anything, it's this:

I guess Maud doesn't need to fully understand Pinkie to love her.   :)

On the other hand Pinkie & Spike:

33939__safe_pinkie-pie_spike_animated.gi

I know it doesn't necessarily mean they understand each other well, but just feels right. And I like the moral of it.

• Brohoof 1

Honestly, I was expecting someone would mention Discord, Cranky Doodle Donkey or Cheese Sandwich with some interesting theories :lol:

but nice to see people do like Maud :nom:

• Brohoof 1

Honestly, I was expecting someone would mention Discord, Cranky Doodle Donkey or Cheese Sandwich with some interesting theories :lol:

but nice to see people do like Maud :nom:

To be fair, if we're going to be logical about this, Maud is more than likely the one to really understand Pinkie; especially if we consider the fact that they're really close as sisters.

If we were to look outside the box that is the Pie family, then we may have some more interesting ground to tread. I wouldn't include Cranky because while Pinkie did a HUGE favor for him & all, I doubt that would make him understand her any better. Likewise, Discord is pure chaos whereas Pinkie is just random. Discord might get a huge kick out of her, but the only pony that ever really tried to trust him was Fluttershy.

Now you may have something with Cheese Sandwich; especially considering how is was she that inspired him at that early age. That would indicate they have plenty to share in regards to personality, so I'd say it's possible. :)

• Brohoof 2

To be fair, if we're going to be logical about this, Maud is more than likely the one to really understand Pinkie; especially if we consider the fact that they're really close as sisters.

If we were to look outside the box that is the Pie family, then we may have some more interesting ground to tread. I wouldn't include Cranky because while Pinkie did a HUGE favor for him & all, I doubt that would make him understand her any better. Likewise, Discord is pure chaos whereas Pinkie is just random. Discord might get a huge kick out of her, but the only pony that ever really tried to trust him was Fluttershy.

Now you may have something with Cheese Sandwich; especially considering how is was she that inspired him at that early age. That would indicate they have plenty to share in regards to personality, so I'd say it's possible. :)

56663623.jpg

I agree. How do you think of Spike? I think the fact he knew who was the real Pinkie(Too Many Pinkie Pie) shows that he understands Pinkie better than Mane five. He knows Pinkie would be upset in that kind of situation

56663623.jpg

I agree. How do you think of Spike? I think the fact he knew who was the real Pinkie(Too Many Pinkie Pie) shows that he understands Pinkie better than Mane five. He knows Pinkie would be upset in that kind of situation

Well lazy writing might be an issue with that as well.  :please:

Honestly though, I kinda doubt that Spike knows Pinkie Pie any better than the rest of the Mane 6. I mean in the situation you mention, Twilight has a point. And admittedly, Twilight was also overthinking her own strategy while the rest were just going with it. Spike was just being practical.

Not to mention the real Pinkie didn't help her cause by being depressed through the latter part of the episode.

Difficult to say for certain because often it seems she doesn't understand herself.

Another possible candidate would be the Cakes considering their regular interaction and their trepidation at having her foalsit, but most anyone who knows pinkie would have some concern at the prospect.

Maud does spring to mind first though. They spent a considerable amount of time growing up together, so that does give her a better understanding of her true nature. Her consideration in keeping the candy does show that there is at the very least a long time connection between them. That said, you can know a person a long time and not truly understand them.

Essentially it's hard to say, because it is so rare that we see beyond the sweet candy shell to the pony underneath. We see plenty that understand her cheerful side. That's not hard to understand. The despair that sets in when her raison d'etre is challenged is quite another. We do see Spike in the example given, but it might be an isolated incident.

Maud still probably understands her best if only through an informed shared backstory and time growing up.

I think Maud Pie might know Pinkie the best, but that's not the same as understanding her. As far as a thoughts, motivations, and whatnot, Cheese Sandwich is probably the only pony who could be able to understand the method to Pinkie's "madness". They both even started out the same, in a way, only Pinkie Pie was Cheese Sandwich's Sonic Rainboom.

You will probarly hate me for this but...

PINKIEPIE,because who other than yourself can fully understand yourself. :P

Nope.Even Pinkie doesn't understand herself sometimes. :)

Discord is the one who ought to be closest to Pinkie.  They both love Chaos.  Pinkie could show him How To Prank Without Crossing The Line.  Instead, he treats her like an unordered side dish.

IMO, you are making a HUGE mistake, D.  I've had friends in AA & Narcotics Anonymous.  D, you are a Chaos Addict & going Cold Turkey is tough.  Pinky could be a real help to you & you are going to need help to avoid relapses.

Everyone understands Pinkie Pie, they just don't understand how to understand their understanding of Pinkie Pie.  :maud:

*sigh*

It's silly honestly, Pinkie is very understandable. I guess sometimes being too understandable, is too complicated for some.  :maud:

Atleast Maud get's it. I guess Maud is one of the only ponies who understands how to understand her understanding of Pinkie.  :maud:  

Everyone understands Pinkie Pie, they just don't understand how to understand their understanding of Pinkie Pie.  :maud:

*sigh*

It's silly honestly, Pinkie is very understandable. I guess sometimes being too understandable, is too complicated for some.  :maud:

Atleast Maud get's it. I guess Maud is one of the only ponies who understands how to understand her understanding of Pinkie.  :maud:  

I once was sure that Pinkie was understandable, until I found many failed to understand her.

They argue Pinkie is sometimes acting OOC (IMO she never does).

An often-mentioned example is "The 'Spike’s a ghost' line" in The Mysterious Mare Do Well (Some guy even wrote an article about this: http://www.roundstable.com/2013/05/23/the-pinkie-pie-principle-humor-from-characterization/)

He wrote "we know that Pinkie is familiar with Spike and knows full well that he is not a ghost. The line deteriorates Pinkie’s complexity not at the expense of empathy, but intelligence. "

Clearly, Pinkie was bored listening to Dashie's brag (at least it did't thrill Twi, A.J or Rarity) and decided to act silly and scared so she could have an excuse to leave early without upsetting Dashie. Or she was simply trying to have fun or making ponies laugh like she did in Luna Eclipsed (Luna Eclipsed is prior to The Mysterious Mare Do Well).

Is that hard to understand? Maybe it is, maybe some people just don't want to try to understand because they already made up their mind. Or maybe just like you said, sometimes being too understandable, is too complicated for some. 

Edited by Osiria
  • Brohoof 1

Discord is the one who ought to be closest to Pinkie.  They both love Chaos.  Pinkie could show him How To Prank Without Crossing The Line.  Instead, he treats her like an unordered side dish.

IMO, you are making a HUGE mistake, D.  I've had friends in AA & Narcotics Anonymous.  D, you are a Chaos Addict & going Cold Turkey is tough.  Pinky could be a real help to you & you are going to need help to avoid relapses.

Fluttershy gets close to Discord makes sense to me because she has least friends or connection (except animals) among mane six, so it needs to balance a bit, also because of her kindness. But I agree Pinkie could be a real help to him if he wants to change.

Wait wouldn't cheesesandwich know pinkie the best both coming from wanting to party planners are and so much alike?

Yes, it is very possible. But I sense they plan party out of different motive. Pinkie plans party to spread the joy/have fun/make friends, while I feel Cheese Sandwich planning party is more concerned about himself, that is seeking fulfillment and recognition(e.g. He wants Pinkie to acknowledge him by throwing a party for Dashie). I could be wrong though. Edited by Osiria